News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So I forgot to tap off the GO Train on Christmas Day going to Port Credit from Union Station. What is my chances of getting refunded the cost they charged me for a full trip to Kitchener?
This is all hearsay, but a coworker told me that someone told her that they phoned and were able to get a partial refund. This is your fault so try to sound apologetic and see if they can lend you some grace. They probably keep track of reported refunds so it is not abused.

This is all hearsay, but a coworker told me that someone told her that they phoned and were able to get a partial refund. This is your fault so try to sound apologetic and see if they can lend you some grace. They probably keep track of reported refunds so it is not abused.
That's exactly what I did, and I got a refund in full. They said it will be one time only and if there is a next time I'd have to contact GO.

But the trains weren't running that day to K/W, so if it's the furthest possible route to travel that they charge you for, it wouldn't be K/W.
They charged me $17.20 which is the cost of a trip from Union Station to Kitchener bus terminal.

I think that is the one area where TTC would have to remind people quite often.

For other systems around the world, do you have to tap off as well?
With the TTC you will have to tap off to get out of a station only. Yo will have to tap onto buses and streetcars aw well but no tap off will be necessary unless they make major changes to the fare structure.

Yes, if the fare is based on distance (or time) how else will the system know how much to charge You?
GPS or Bluetooth? That's probably not going to happen for a long time. But that's the dream right?

This will be similar to Amazon's Prime Store opening next year, where products have sensors that send information connected to your smartphone. This removes the requirement of checkout counters. Even though this won't work with transit, it is a good way to make purchases.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=16008589011

I think that is the one area where TTC would have to remind people quite often.

For other systems around the world, do you have to tap off as well?

It's fare by distance on GO, which is what was being discussed,

If you meant the TTC's upcoming plan to require tap outs at subway stations, I don't get the need for that either. it may be the result of some backdoor insistence by Metrolinx so they can implement a fare by distance scheme on the subway.

Even if the only need for tapping out is so YRT riders on the Spadina extension going to York University don't get charged a TTC fare, there is no need it implement it system wide, just have those riders do a voluntary tap out to refund the TTC fare.

Even if the only need for tapping out is so YRT riders on the Spadina extension going to York University don't get charged a TTC fare, there is no need it implement it system wide, just have those riders do a voluntary tap out to refund the TTC fare.
Key word here: Voluntary

This means that fare evasion would be even greater.

If your Presto transit report shows you using your Presto Card on Mississauga Transit while your train would still have been enroute to Clarkson station,
It's even more nebulous than that. There is no proof of what train he took, but by deduction, if there was a record of using MiWay during the time any train possible to take beyond Port Credit, then he could make his case. Once he'd tapped onto MiWay

Key word here: Voluntary

This means that fare evasion would be even greater.

I mean voluntary as in riders would not have to tap to exit the station, but at York University riders who had transferred from YRT could tap somewhere at the station, probably beyond the fare gates, to refund the TTC fare they paid when getting on the subway.

This setup would be done instead of having everyone tap out at all stations, which is what they plan to do and is unnecessary.

Back