News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So I had the unfortunate experience of encountering a broken reader on a bus... that only had one reader. The driver stated he was surprised when he got the bus that there was only one reader on it. The bus originated from the last garage to be presto enabled, so did the TTC cheat to make the december 31 deadline ?

So I had the unfortunate experience of encountering a broken reader on a bus... that only had one reader. The driver stated he was surprised when he got the bus that there was only one reader on it. The bus originated from the last garage to be presto enabled, so did the TTC cheat to make the december 31 deadline ?
I was on the Kipling 45 yesterday, and it had two....*both* not operating. I got a lift after dinner down to the subway, so didn't have a chance to see if the southbound one was also running defective readers.

I got a free ride today when the front device said "Tap here" but did not work. Rear device screen was blank.

I also had a strange encounter on the vomit rocket the other week. I managed to tap on, but midway on the bus ride I could see the screen turned red, then later back to green.
This is a concern for streetcars with POP. How will fare inspectors know if devices were offline when someone tried to board but later turned on?

I managed to tap on, but midway on the bus ride I could see the screen turned red, then later back to green.
This is a concern for streetcars with POP. How will fare inspectors know if devices were offline when someone tried to board but later turned on?

From a technical standpoint this is actually fairly easy. The device, once rebooted, reports it's inactivity/down period upstream (I hope they do this just for QA purposes; constantly rebooting devices or a communication network hole due to bad cell reception are things maintenance might be able to fix). The device is registered to a specific vehicle.

When fare inspectors board they should be telling their own device what vehicle they're on (again, important for central office statistics). There is no reason why their device couldn't immediately show recent aberrations for the vehicle such as Presto reader outages (as reported above), short-turns, accidents on the route (causing mass transfers), and other unusual events over the last couple of hours.

Of course, I don't know what Accenture/Presto and TTC will actually have in place.

Last edited:
So I forgot to tap off the GO Train on Christmas Day going to Port Credit from Union Station. What is my chances of getting refunded the cost they charged me for a full trip to Kitchener?

There is no reason why their device couldn't immediately show recent aberrations for the vehicle such as Presto reader outages (as reported above), short-turns, accidents on the route (causing mass transfers), and other unusual events over the last couple of hours.
With the nature of the glitches showing so far on Presto system, I'd hazard you give the system credit for far more sophistication than has been shown.

Take the the rumour (with some factual statements by Metrolinx themselves that indicates this) that the payment machines the TTC will most likely have to have replaced can be rebooted and function again after glitching.

Now I'm an electronic tech, albeit not a computer one, (computerese drives me up the hard drive) but have designed my fair share of systems and interfaces involving logic circuits (mostly diode actuated either/or gates) and I can tell you that a reset circuit for a machine that's causing so much grief for the TTC right now should, by the descriptions ML themselves have described, be very easily addressed by a simple self-diagnostic and self re-boot logic circuit....but alas...nothing works as simply as they describe...or they're just putting out BS stories for the gullible public to swallow, as it's too embarrassing to tell the truth. No matter how you pick your lowest denominator, it smells like corporate failure.

Last I read was that the TTC was blaming the bus reader probs (and street car readers) on power supply problems. Oh man....all they have to do if that's the case is have an interruptible supply, or if the raw supply feed is so spiky or filthy, you filter and condition it, but somehow the bog obvious escapes them. (Anyone hazard a guess as to what powers the emergency interior lights when the main supply fails? Duh...)(Could you imagine the car manufacturers being this dim?) In fact, of course buses and streetcars have battery circuits, and that's the circuit you'd wire something like fare readers and essential intelligent devices to...in a normal world.

Paper tickets anyone? Accenture and their hardware suppliers would print them backwards, and then blame the public for having them upside-down as the cause of the problem.

Last edited:
I was on a 9000-series Dufferin 29 bus last week that had no Presto readers at all. No cutouts in the area where they normally would be...no readers to be found.

Humorously, the TTC tweeted out that they now had Presto at all subway stations, on all buses and streetcars...then a few hours later reminded customers that they should carry a token or cash just in case during the "transition period". Which one is it? Either 100% of vehicles have Presto, or they don't.

Humorously, the TTC tweeted out that they now had Presto at all subway stations, on all buses and streetcars...then a few hours later reminded customers that they should carry a token or cash just in case during the "transition period". Which one is it? Either 100% of vehicles have Presto, or they don't.
To be fair, they still admit that some stations only have PRESTO at one entrance so if you want total freedom you DO need a token or two.

Does the balance on your card update after MLinx charges your card - ie. it shows up in your card charges, or only after you tap next after that charge?

On the LSW line?
Yes, Union to Port Credit.
Contact Metrolinx customer service.
I'm going to, but was just curious if anyone else has done the same and if they were willing to refund without too much arguing.
Does the balance on your card update after MLinx charges your card - ie. it shows up in your card charges, or only after you tap next after that charge?
Yes, after my next tap it shows the charges now.

khristopher said:
So I forgot to tap off the GO Train on Christmas Day going to Port Credit from Union Station. What is my chances of getting refunded the cost they charged me for a full trip to Kitchener?
Yes, Union to Port Credit.
But the trains weren't running that day to K/W, so if it's the furthest possible route to travel that they charge you for, it wouldn't be K/W.

The charge will be for a trip from Union Station to Aldershot.

If your Presto transit report shows you using your Presto Card on Mississauga Transit while your train would still have been enroute to Clarkson station, you could get a refund for the travelling you didn't do. I don't know whether GO Transit would accept anything else as evidence that you got off at Port Credit.

Back