News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The TTC CEO report for August says "The PRESTO component of total TTC ridership continues to grow and the adoption rate is now at 28.2%." See page 20 of http://ttc.ca/PDF/About_the_TTC/CEO_Report/CEO_Report_September_2018_Update.pdf
That's the new CEO report they released last week, which I think would be the September CEO report - but the data is from July. I hadn't noticed that new report dropping.

That's a pretty good gain from the 26.0% reported last month (see page 21 which appears to be June data) and the 25.2% reported a month earlier at the July Board meeting. I'd guess the higher-than usual jump is that the 12-month pass started to be available in July. Personally with the chance to terminate my old MDP pass early with no penalty, I switched from monthly MDP Metrocard to pay-as-you-go on Presto in July, knowing I'd be out of town for over 2 weeks in July/August.

I'd guess there'd be a similar or larger bump in September, when all the new students start commuting, especially to colleges and universities and with the 2-hour transfer coming into effect at the end of August. I'd guess that for September that it's over 30% - though probably won't hear about this until mid-November.

Why does the annual metropass exist if it costs the same as 12 monthly metropasses? Is it just convenience?

Why does the annual metropass exist if it costs the same as 12 monthly metropasses? Is it just convenience?
prob is just for convenience but imo if theyre going to do that, they should give a 10% total price discount for it.

"12 Month Pass: $134 per month (save $12.25 per month vs. regular price adult Metropass)"
Source

The 12 Month Pass (on Presto) is the same price as the Metropass Discount Plan (MDP), which mailed you a Metropass for 12 months but is being discontinued with the introduction of the 12 Month Pass.

Anyone know of any issues with Presto this afternoon? Tried 3 gates at Bloor-Yonge and it kept saying declined. Got a collector to let me in since I'm making a round-trip and will pay on the way back.

They don't mention or show that it's intentional though, which would have been nice information to add.

We know people used to take 2 trips within a 2 hour period in the past too, and just got charged for it. Has %age of people taking such trips increased since the fare change?

One assumes they must have done that type of comparison on the most recent month; done trip calculations with old rules versus new rules to differentiate between transfers and what was considered a new trip in the past. They could have gone back to the month before the new rules to look for a behavioural change.

Called a "children's" Presto. After using it on GO. Since children's fare on GO is ½ of adult fare and free on the TTC for kids between 6 and 12.
I think they meant a counterfeit Presto card that works on the readers, or a modified genuine card that had its chips and controllers messed with.

We better hope something like this won't happen when Presto tickets come out...

It's highly unlikely; as the cheapest implementation a single use ticket can be a write-once medium. The first tap on a Presto gate can lock in the trip and destroy the write mechanism on the card.

A more expensive mechanism would use the same chips as exist on current presto cards which has proven relatively tamper-proof over the last decade.

I'm not sure which they've opted to use for the tickets. I expect it's a standard presto type chip, perhaps with less memory for history/passes/..., in a less expensive format.

The closest "illegality" would be this Presto scam. From link. From a couple of years ago. A heads up, could happen again.

Presto card scam prompts warning from Metrolinx

Some commuters looking for a deal have been ripped off, transit agency says

Scammers have been offering pre-loaded Presto cards for discounted prices, then cancelling the cards before buyers can use them.

A Presto card scam is prompting Metrolinx to urge customers to only buy cards from authorized sellers.

The transit agency was alerted to the scam by a customer who nearly lost $500 last week, spokesperson Anne Marie Aikins said.

Here's how it works: the scammer offers to sell a pre-loaded Presto card — Aitkins said the amount has ranged from $50 to $500 — for less than that amount. The scammer and victim will meet somewhere like Union Station, where the amount can be verified, then exchange cash.

But before the person who bought the Presto card can use it, the seller, who has previously registered the card, cancels it, rendering it useless.

"It may seem like a good deal, but at the end of the day you're going to lose your money," Aikins told CBC News.

It's unclear how many people have fallen for the scam, but Aikins said Metrolinx has seen a number of these offers popping up online. Metrolinx is urging people to only buy Presto cards from its stations or other authorized sellers to avoid getting ripped off.

"Even one person scammed is too many," Aikins said.

Back