News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

How does showing what is on a fare card in small print on a device at waist height help anyone and why does that make a system world class? Everyone does it because they haven't been told otherwise that they need to have it accessible to the blind or visually impaired people. Everyone on here likes to talk about having more elevators for people in wheelchairs or using strollers or mobility devices but when it comes to providing people who can't see something properly it's ok for them to not have the same access as other people do.
What would suggest then? Remember that it needs to cater to the vast majority including those who do not have data on their cell phones nor the technical ability to auto reload their cards. How would you implement a quick check system that does not involve queuing behind a machine at the side of the terminal and manually requesting a status read out?

What would suggest then? Remember that it needs to cater to the vast majority including those who do not have data on their cell phones nor the technical ability to auto reload their cards. How would you implement a quick check system that does not involve queuing behind a machine at the side of the terminal and manually requesting a status read out?
They should put a fare machine at every stop and change out the machines on the streetcars to be able to reload a presto card, that way you give people more opportunities to check their balance before they board or if they need to top up well on a streetcar.

They should put a fare machine at every stop and change out the machines on the streetcars to be able to reload a presto card, that way you give people more opportunities to check their balance before they board or if they need to top up well on a streetcar.
You forget that it's the buses that share the bulk of the readers.how would you suggest they address that? Not to mention do you expect hundreds of streetcar rider to queue up behind a machine, not to mention thousands of subway riders to do the same behind 3 machines just to look at their balance when the obvious solution is right there? I'm sorry but I just see the merits of your arguments outweighing the benefits of what is being implemented

You forget that it's the buses that share the bulk of the readers.how would you suggest they address that? Not to mention do you expect hundreds of streetcar rider to queue up behind a machine, not to mention thousands of subway riders to do the same behind 3 machines just to look at their balance when the obvious solution is right there? I'm sorry but I just see the merits of your arguments outweighing the benefits of what is being implemented
How often do you think people check their balance? They already have machines in the subway station to check your balance and add money to your card some even have them past the fare line as well. The only time I ever see a long line at them is near the end of the month when people who don't have a metropass auto renuing are adding it to their cards.

How often do you think people check their balance? They already have machines in the subway station to check your balance and add money to your card some even have them past the fare line as well. The only time I ever see a long line at them is near the end of the month when people who don't have a metropass auto renuing are adding it to their cards.
I’m trying to figure out what exactly your problem with this is. So far, looking back what you’ve written all I see is:

1. The possibility (without any basis/proof) that now people will take longer to board
2. That people could get into an argument with the bus driver (again, without any basis/proof)
3. You don’t see why people would want this

And that’s it? Two points with no backing and the last because you don’t understand why anyone would want it?

I check everytime i board the yrt bus and I would so as well at the subway station had it been available. All it takes is a quick glance. Even though I auto reload, the balance let's me also determine when to expect the reload to occur. However you and I are in the lucky bunch who are tech savvy and know how to set it up. There are many who don't nor do they wish to set up auto payment. Some reload by cash, some don't have a phone. Not to mention we paid millions and millions for these lcd screens. Do you honestly think it's money well spent just to have it display a checkmark when you can easily program it to do so much more?

Honestly speaking, what is your beef with this? Everything that they're doing is universally beneficial and is the global transit norm. Cost is minimal as its just a matter of programming. Hell if you want to rant on waste of tax dollars you can point out metrolinx for spending up to $15M on a 5 yr online catalog subscription for some industry equipment. I honestly don't get why you are clicking your heels in contention for something that is positive and hardly controversial

I’m trying to figure out what exactly your problem with this is. So far, looking back what you’ve written all I see is:

1. The possibility (without any basis/proof) that now people will take longer to board
2. That people could get into an argument with the bus driver (again, without any basis/proof)
3. You don’t see why people would want this

And that’s it? Two points with no backing and the last because you don’t understand why anyone would want it?
I'm sorry I don't think it serves a purpose. I don't really get why it's such a big deal that they didn't have this before and I don't really see why it's needed. I don't really see why you seem to want to convince me either way I don't care about seeing my balance being shown on a screen all I care about is if my fare has been validated.

I don't know if it's just me, but the screens seem darker or just more difficult to read with the new update on the TTC.
anyone have any real world photos of the readers in use? perhaps it was the sun casting shadows or pupil adjustment when boarding the bus?

anyone have any real world photos of the readers in use? perhaps it was the sun casting shadows or pupil adjustment when boarding the bus?
I found a couple of photos on Twitter and Reddit

New:
q2iis8wdsmp71.jpg
FAObnNvVkAMezyE.jpg

Old
presto.jpg

There seems to be a subtle yellow tint, and the screens definitely go back to "sleep" faster with the new update. I also wish they used black text instead of grey with the new update to add contrast (since these displays aren't OLED)..

The child card sound sounds kinda like the sound the turnstiles make in Disney World.

I wish presto would make limited edition presto cards with different sounds.

I wish presto would make limited edition presto cards with different sounds.
to complex and not really necessary for a public transit system. It works at Disney World as it creates a market for different magic bands but even then it can be hard to hear the sounds amongst the others in the area.

to complex and not really necessary for a public transit system. It works at Disney World as it creates a market for different magic bands but even then it can be hard to hear the sounds amongst the others in the area.
Yeah, I agree. Honestly I'm so tempted to get a child presto just cause of the sound even though it's 100% going to get confiscated and everyone is going to look at me like I'm trying to scam the system.

Back