News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The updates last weekend were pretty good! Payment processing has been totally overhauled from the dismal pile of crap that it was to something pretty decent. You can see what the last 4 digits of your saved credit card is now (FINALLY).
I remember talking about it with a presto phone representative a few years ago and how i thought it made no sense as many places have that as a feature so that people can know what card they used.

Open Payment is coming to GO.

1656635141839.png

Other than improvements to the website and mobile app, have there been any upgrades to Presto that applied to all transit agencies at the same time on the same day? Improvements like upgraded machines and new fare products do not count. For a card that is available on multiple transit agencies, I do not remember anything that makes it a truly integrated system. The only shared thing I can think of is its initial release with the common balance.

Open payment fares will be the equivalent of the regular cash fare, rather than the discounted PRESTO rate.
But you need a Presto account anyway to make it work? I'm not seeing what advantage this gives. What am I missing?

But you need a Presto account anyway to make it work? I'm not seeing what advantage this gives. What am I missing?
Don’t have to carry around a PRESTO card (if you’re not on the TTC), and can use your phone to pay for your fare. Don’t have to add a balance to your presto

There is no benefit for regular transit users on transit agencies where cash fare is more than Presto fare (e.g. DRT). It benefits tourists and once in a while users the most and also maybe if you lose/forget Presto card.

Last edited:
I assume unlinked Credit Card will be paying the cash fare, but does using a linked Credit Card to Presto Card pay the Presto fare or the cash fare?

During the UPX trial, both an unlinked and linked credit card paid the Presto fare rather than the Vending Machine (Cash) fare. I'm unsure what the long-term intentions are for fare pricing.

.. the app has a a contactless option allow you to see the tap history based solely off the credit card (Visa, Mastercard and Amex only) - with no account required. It also advises that for debit charges to check your bank account.

It looks similar to what my Starbucks app in the UK does. I wonder if this is to support more things like PRESTO Perks or better capping.

It looks similar to what my Starbucks app in the UK does. I wonder if this is to support more things like PRESTO Perks or better capping.

The registration will be required to get your Transit Tax Credit forms and travel history at very least.

If they're clever you will be able to load a transit pass onto the card (credit card as ID only, not necessarily payment). Odds are they'll move to a Virtual Presto Card (something held by Google/Apple Wallet) instead though for things like that as it eliminates a fair amount of potential passenger confusion.

Back