News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Update: Ah, I just read this, "A charge will appear on your credit card statement or in your bank account. This charge may take a few days to appear and multiple trips may be combined into one or more charges."
They may just consolidate all the charges to reduce credit card processing fees. IIRC, most card providers have a flat + percentage fee structure. I would imagine if you’re big enough, you may be able to negotiate something different?

It’s very different from OMNY, where each individual tap is registered fairly quickly with the card provider.

Have to agree. If you are a tourist or a "once in a year or decade" user, being about to use a credit or debit card is fine. If you want to get the discount, better to use a PRESTO card.
Most open payment systems globally work like this.

If you need a fare concession, you get the fare card. Open payment is mostly to provide an option for occasional or non-concession users.

Most open payment systems globally work like this.

If you need a fare concession, you get the fare card. Open payment is mostly to provide an option for occasional or non-concession users.
Exactly. I don't know why Steve Munro is so disgruntled about everything. This is real progress for the TTC and I'm glad to not need to bring my wallet with me anymore for transit. Just waiting on Ontario to issue digital drivers licences like many US and all Australian states have done, then I'll basically never need it again 🙏

A partial update on my debit card Presto fiasco. Haven't received a resolution yet on the ticket (only responded this past Friday), however in searching for my transaction history I noticed I wasn't even charged for my ride home at all. Same situation, confirmed screen said "approved" and made the chime noise - I should add I used a physical card every time.

So not only is their inspection system unreliable, same goes for this entire debit system. My rides were over a week ago, so I doubt it's a delay in processing at this point. Luckily the ride I received I ticket on has proof of payment, had the same thing happened on the ride home I'd have no proof I paid (or honestly attempted to).

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/08/15/presto-machine-credit-card-double-charg-ttc/
A Toronto woman is feeling tapped out after claiming the TTC’s updated payment system double charged her during a recent streetcar ride, dinging her credit card after she had already paid with her PRESTO card.
[A] weary Heather Milne is urging the public to be wary when using the PRESTO card readers after claiming the machine was able to read and charge her credit card even though it was inside her waist bag and was never pulled out for use.

Milne told CityNews she hopped on the Queen streetcar at Kingston Road on Saturday morning to run some errands in The Beaches, tapping her PRESTO card to pay for the ride.
Later that day after returning home via public transit, she received a notification from her credit card. “As I’m walking up the street, I get an alert from my (credit card), and that was in my fanny-pack around my waist.
“By the end of the day it shows (a charge of) $3.30, so I went into the app again and disputed that. “I phoned Presto, and they didn’t sound surprised,” she said.
Milne says after speaking to someone from PRESTO she learned that the machine actually read her credit card twice, but on the return trip she was within the two-hour free transfer limit, so wasn’t charged.
Watch out for "card clash" - this can be surprisingly common if people aren't careful with their wallets...!

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/08/15/presto-machine-credit-card-double-charg-ttc/

Watch out for "card clash" - this can be surprisingly common if people aren't careful with their wallets...!
The faraday bag used to protect key fobs from being read can be used for protect credit cards from being read. There are separate wallets, purses, and bags that are also faraday bags that do the same thing.
0cea3a45-8fc5-4d46-b89c-df9f79292c50.7288fa224be9e17c37e84fd2a3e13b16.jpeg

From link. This is an example only, can be bought elsewhere.

Term is "RFID Protection" or blocking. RFID-blocking shields block any signals to RFID-enabled cards so that no one can access the information without your permission.

A smartphones and AirTags should still work because they has a more powerful signal. See link for better information on RFID blocking.

Your new passport may have a RFID chip in it. Best to have a RFID cover for your passport, or put it in your RFID blocking bag. Some new money belts now have RFID Blocking.

Last edited:
Is it possible to do RFID blocking with aluminum foil? Yes, it is possible successfully block RFID with aluminum foil. It can work by simply wrapping it around your credit or debit cards or wallet. In fact, many people actually use aluminum foil around their cards' as a homemade, cheap RFID blocker.

Also the aluminum foil works with you car's fob to protect it from potential thieves who can't steal the signal from an inconspicuous distance.

A software update is scheduled for that date.
that might not really mean much if it's just for Apple phones. Most phones get an update every month or at least it is put out where the company that makes them sends it out is another thing, For example, most of the time Google updates Andriod on pixel phones each month on the first Monday of the month its up to other manufatres like Samsung if they want to send it out then too.

that might not really mean much if it's just for Apple phones. Most phones get an update every month or at least it is put out where the company that makes them sends it out is another thing, For example, most of the time Google updates Andriod on pixel phones each month on the first Monday of the month its up to other manufatres like Samsung if they want to send it out then too.
I think they were referring to a Presto reader software update, not an iOS update.

As for Google Wallet, it's a moot point as you can already tap to pay with your default debit/credit card on Presto readers, without having to unlock/authenticate.

Back