News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Then you get the "I forgot my card at home" excuse.

They should do as I do, get a card protector and attach it to a lanyard. Do not punch a hole in the PRESTO card.

Bl5oE2xCAAAyjcB.jpg:large

From link.

Then put it around you neck, under your coat. (Use a retractable reel.)

Not surprised that the union wants to do everything I can to save whatever is left of their jobs. 1 once Presto kicks in all those workers handing out Metro passes manually will be left with no job or reassigned

Presto is truly unreliable and their systems are not user-friendly. I lost my Presto Card last week and in order to replace it I had to cancel my card and get a new one. I had to wait 24 hours for my card to be blocked, then when I got a new card I had to wait 24 hours for it to show up in their system. Once it showed up in their system I had to register it and wait 24 hours to tap it and complete registration.. then I had to wait another 24 hours for the registration tap to be processed. All in all I had to wait 72 hours from the time I canceled my card to the time I was able to use my new one reliably.

I had a Monthly pass on my lost card and I was unable to use it because their system will only let you transfer a balance to a blank card, not a registered one. If I want the remaining balance of 6 dollars from my old card I need to buy a new card for the sole purpose of transferring the balance as there is no way to get a refund.

Their online system says to transfer the balance to an existing card, so I started the registration of the card in order to have the card exist on my account. Turns out you have to register it when you go to transfer the balance and not before.

All in all, it was a pain in the ass to do any sort of online transaction with Presto and the system will not be viable or sustainable until they get their back end processing sorted out.

Nobody in their right mind would happily wait 72 hours and jump through hoops to use Presto.

Let's hope Dougie sticks with his hate of unions. Besides, all of the Presto equipment is already installed, so what are the unions complaining about really? (I know it's about their jobs)

Presto is not ready for prime time.

TTC passengers seem to disagree. About 25% of TTC trips used Presto in May 2018 and that percentage will has increased since then. So, a minimum of 350,000 trips per day on TTC have decided Presto is better than the alternative legacy options. That's a non-trivial number of people voluntarily relying on it over legacy options.

Presto has faults and could have been implemented much better, but the current methods of fare payment have their problems too (we've gotten used to them though).

Either way, customers have decided the current implementation is adequate for prime time. TTC needs to bring over the stragglers and cut their expenses so they can provide a bit more service.

Last edited:
Presto is truly unreliable and their systems are not user-friendly. I lost my Presto Card last week and in order to replace it I had to cancel my card and get a new one. I had to wait 24 hours for my card to be blocked, then when I got a new card I had to wait 24 hours for it to show up in their system. Once it showed up in their system I had to register it and wait 24 hours to tap it and complete registration.. then I had to wait another 24 hours for the registration tap to be processed. All in all I had to wait 72 hours from the time I canceled my card to the time I was able to use my new one reliably.

I had a Monthly pass on my lost card and I was unable to use it because their system will only let you transfer a balance to a blank card, not a registered one. If I want the remaining balance of 6 dollars from my old card I need to buy a new card for the sole purpose of transferring the balance as there is no way to get a refund.

Their online system says to transfer the balance to an existing card, so I started the registration of the card in order to have the card exist on my account. Turns out you have to register it when you go to transfer the balance and not before.

All in all, it was a pain in the ass to do any sort of online transaction with Presto and the system will not be viable or sustainable until they get their back end processing sorted out.

Nobody in their right mind would happily wait 72 hours and jump through hoops to use Presto.

I would happily wait 72 hours and jump through hoops. I have already done so and found the process super easy.

Contrast that with the experience when you lose a Metropass, or tokens and are told that you are just shit out of luck - I'll take my experience with Presto over that ANY day.

TTC passengers seem to disagree. About 25% of TTC trips used Presto in May 2018 and that percentage will has increased since then. So, a minimum of 350,000 trips per day on TTC have decided Presto is better than the alternative legacy options. That's a non-trivial number of people voluntarily relying on it over legacy options.

Presto has faults and could have been implemented much better, but the current methods of fare payment have their problems too (we've gotten used to them though).

Either way, customers have decided the current implementation is adequate for prime time. TTC needs to bring over the stragglers and cut their expenses so they can provide a bit more service.
That's not a majority imo. If people want to keep the Metropass and tokens it should be done.

I've replaced my presto card twice because they got cracked by my own fault and it did not take 72 hours for everything to be translated at most it was 48 hours and all the balances and passes were transferred to the new card. The only thing I was out was $6 for the purchase of the card plus $10 that I loaded on to it for the two days it takes to process it. IThat being said I do wish it could be faster to do it and it may be in the future once the app is up and running, what I personally wish they could do is both registers the new card and transfer the balances in the same 24-hour period instead of it having to take two days.

That's not a majority imo. If people want to keep the Metropass and tokens it should be done.

I didn't say it was a majority. I was stating that customers have demonstrated they believe Presto is ready for prime time; incidentally a prime time show (which is the origin of the term) getting 10% of viewers is doing really well.

If people want to keep Metropass and tokens, then we should begin the process of phasing out Presto. I don't really care what the payment solution is, but at the moment TTC is paying quite a bit extra to carry both the legacy and new fare system; enough extra that it could buy 60 more streetcars using capital-from-current type funding.

Increasing property taxes has been a no-go for years. Working within that voter inflicted budgetary constraint, I want trams much more than I want the option to use both Presto and a magstripe metropass.

Last edited:
I've replaced my presto card twice because they got cracked by my own fault and it did not take 72 hours for everything to be translated at most it was 48 hours and all the balances and passes were transferred to the new card. The only thing I was out was $6 for the purchase of the card plus $10 that I loaded on to it for the two days it takes to process it. IThat being said I do wish it could be faster to do it and it may be in the future once the app is up and running, what I personally wish they could do is both registers the new card and transfer the balances in the same 24-hour period instead of it having to take two days.

The problem lies in the synchronization. The readers, the machines etc all need to sync up and in some cases that can only be done at the division.

Back