News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I just put this photo on my facebook page, saying our mayoral candidate/transit chair is introducing a new fare system with such pride to riders the rest of the world has been using for the past 20 years. Got 50+ likes, LOL.

On the flipside why cant they just do retrofits of for the short term which should be faster and give themselves plenty of time (as always) for the longer term gate solution to be "tested"?
With only 40 new gates, presumably most of the work IS retrofits.

However the retrofits wouldn't be accepting tickets and transfer. So it can't be the only solution.

I just put this photo on my facebook page, saying our mayoral candidate/transit chair is introducing a new fare system with such pride to riders the rest of the world has been using for the past 20 years. Got 50+ likes, LOL.
The rest of the world? Some places ... not others.

No one ever said it was breaking technology. Toronto has been building much better subway to bus transfers than I've ever seen in many Asian and European cities. The bus to subway transfers I've seen in Asian cities are often nightmares. Does this mean that Asian and European cities are 50 years behind us?

What's with the obsession of how far behind we are in the world? Who cares? It's like the whole "world-class city" phrase, I cringe whenever I hear it.

Congratulations on your likes.

Is Stintz very small, or is the fare-gate in that photo extremely wide? Hopefully they aren't that much wider than normal (so more of them will fit).

Poll: Half of GTHA transit users would ‘likely’ use smartphone to pay

Link: http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/07/16/poll-half-of-gtha-transit-users-would-likely-use-smartphone-to-pay/

As Metrolinx’ PRESTO Card system continues its slow and steady roll out across the GTA, it seems a significant portion of transit passengers are actually ready to use their phones to pay for their journeys. Or at least they think they are.

According to a poll carried out by Forum Research Inc., 50 percent of regular transit passengers said they were likely to pay with their smartphone and 32 percent of those people said they were either extremely likely or very likely to use their mobile device to pay for their trip. Those numbers sound pretty encouraging, but ‘likely’ to pay by smartphone and actually paying by smartphone are two very different things. Forum Research’s poll goes on to report that only 14 percent of those surveyed are currently using their smartphones to pay for anything.

Forum Research Inc’s poll is based on a random sampling of 1,006 people from from across the GTHA (Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area) aged 18 and over who take transit at least once per month. A total of 45 percent of respondents said they already use tap-and-go style payments but just 28 percent were PRESTO Card users.

Another PRESTO fare oddity.

A recent trip from Aldershot to Eglinton and back yielded two different fares. The trip from Aldershot to Eglinton included a stopover where I got off at Union to buy a few things, then hopped back on the following Lakeshore train. The trip from Eglinton to Aldershot was direct, but it wound up being $1.48 more expensive. Is there a logical reason these two trips wound up priced this way or is it a glitch?

08/03/2014 10:52 PM Aldershot GO Station Rail $5.92
08/03/2014 09:05 PM Eglinton GO Station Rail $5.20
TOTAL: $11.12 (agrees with website fare calculator)

08/03/2014 12:04 PM Eglinton GO Station Rail -$5.06
08/03/2014 11:33 AM Union Station Rail $5.20
08/03/2014 11:08 AM Union Station Rail $4.30
08/03/2014 09:58 AM Aldershot GO Station Rail $5.20
TOTAL: $9.64

What's with the obsession of how far behind we are in the world? Who cares? It's like the whole "world-class city" phrase, I cringe whenever I hear it.

Congratulations on your likes.

With all due respect, this "I don't care about our ranking in the world" thinking doesn't seem to apply when Toronto leads the city in various areas (such as demographic diversity, quality of living ranking etc.) when everyone seem to cheer and gambol.
We care, and so do you. Stop pretending otherwise.

With all due respect, this "I don't care about our ranking in the world" thinking doesn't seem to apply when Toronto leads the city in various areas (such as demographic diversity, quality of living ranking etc.) when everyone seem to cheer and gambol.
We care, and so do you. Stop pretending otherwise.

Um... firstly I'm not the one cheering. Secondly, I'll decide what I care about lol.

Who cares? You cringe whenever you hear it, so I guess that means you care.

Another PRESTO fare oddity.

A recent trip from Aldershot to Eglinton and back yielded two different fares. The trip from Aldershot to Eglinton included a stopover where I got off at Union to buy a few things, then hopped back on the following Lakeshore train. The trip from Eglinton to Aldershot was direct, but it wound up being $1.48 more expensive. Is there a logical reason these two trips wound up priced this way or is it a glitch?

08/03/2014 10:52 PM Aldershot GO Station Rail $5.92
08/03/2014 09:05 PM Eglinton GO Station Rail $5.20
TOTAL: $11.12 (agrees with website fare calculator)

08/03/2014 12:04 PM Eglinton GO Station Rail -$5.06
08/03/2014 11:33 AM Union Station Rail $5.20
08/03/2014 11:08 AM Union Station Rail $4.30
08/03/2014 09:58 AM Aldershot GO Station Rail $5.20
TOTAL: $9.64

Did you tap on/off at Union? When transferring trains, you are not supposed to tap off, except maybe if it will cause your trip to exceed 2.5 hours.

Last weekend I was considerng using the one train put on the KW line for the Carribean festival.

The special train was KW line to Union then switch trains for LSW train to Exhibition.....i specifically asked the folks at Presto if I would be required to tap off the KW train at Union than on the LSW train to Ex (and off again at the Ex)....they advised that you should never do this....just tap on where you start your journey and off when you arrive at your final destination (this assumes entire journey is by train) and the system calculates the appropriate fare from start point to end point.

Did you tap on/off at Union? When transferring trains, you are not supposed to tap off, except maybe if it will cause your trip to exceed 2.5 hours.

I tapped off on the trip from Aldershot to Eglinton. I didn't know how long I would be and wasn't really planning to get right back on the same trip 30 minutes later. Interesting that made it cheaper.

A PRESTO Implementation at the TTC – Status Update will be presented to the TTC board on August 19, 2014. You can download the PDF from this link.

PRESTO on the new streetcars and at the Spadina Station will start in November. Bathurst Station will get PRESTO in January, 2015. See the report for more information.

This has got to be the biggest cluster**** of a roll-out I've ever seen. So they implement the SFV machines and then replace them half a year later? And what will they be used for afterwards? This whole plans seems like it's being planned by a high-school student council. /rant

On another note I was brainstorming today on how PRESTO could potentially avoid the 24HR funds update issue and I was thinking, why don't they install wireless receptors at terminal stations so that buses could update every time they reached a terminal? Sure it may not be an instant thing, but it'll surely be 1 or 2 hrs before your funds show up as opposed to 24hrs.

Back