News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Did they mention bus lanes? If so then what type of bus lanes?

In all honesty a BRT on sheppard is probably all we need. As long as they can figure out a good way of funneling the buses across the 404 bridge, then it would be very good.
Probably curb bus only HOV lanes like Allen/Dufferin North. Don't expect much from TO.

Extending the Sheppard subway to Vic Park, to keep surface transit off the 404 bridge, would be an awfully good idea. Much as I like LRT, if BRT will work from there east, it's more prudent to build BRT as a stopgap than try to force LRT or subway debate into the 15 year priority list. Ms Wynne is about to bring in a new budget, which will highlight how little money Ontario actually has. If we push too much spending on the agenda we may get none of it.

- Paul

Extending the Sheppard subway to Vic Park, to keep surface transit off the 404 bridge, would be an awfully good idea. Much as I like LRT, if BRT will work from there east, it's more prudent to build BRT as a stopgap than try to force LRT or subway debate into the 15 year priority list. Ms Wynne is about to bring in a new budget, which will highlight how little money Ontario actually has. If we push too much spending on the agenda we may get none of it.

- Paul

I agree with your technical analysis, but I think at this point extending the subway to Vic Park is a political can of worms. As soon as you say "Subway extension on Sheppard", you'll hear howls from people wanting to extend it further. Before you know it we'll end up with a subway to the zoo, given the amount of disregard for facts on TO Council.

Yeah the best way of fixing transit in that area is to extend the subway one stop east. To tighten Vic park or even consumers Rd. And then run a brt or even hov bus lanes east.

The only reasoning being running buses across the 404 creates a lot of bottle necks. The short distance between consumers Rd and Don mills Rd have 5 traffic lights.

I agree with your technical analysis, but I think at this point extending the subway to Vic Park is a political can of worms. As soon as you say "Subway extension on Sheppard", you'll hear howls from people wanting to extend it further. Before you know it we'll end up with a subway to the zoo, given the amount of disregard for facts on TO Council.
I think it may fly if it was extended as well with a western extension to Wilson yards. Easily the city could say that the funds are limited but going west is needed simply for the yard. Then you can reopen it in 20 years.

I think it may fly if it was extended as well with a western extension to Wilson yards. Easily the city could say that the funds are limited but going west is needed simply for the yard. Then you can reopen it in 20 years.
The issue there is crossing the Don branch at Bathurst. $$$$

If the Scarborough Subway debate has taught us anything, it's that "funds are limited" doesn't mean anything when it comes to transit in Scarborough. You can cite technical or financial reasons til the cows come home, but all you'll get back is "Scarborough deserves subways". I'm just saying, extending just to Victoria Park is more political trouble than it's worth.

The way the planners were talking about Sheppard at the presentation today, it seems that the SELRT is all but dead.

In the interim, Sheppard is getting bus lanes.

I'd agree with this assessment. Expect an BRT-lite service on Sheppard. The Conlins Road maintenance and storage facility for the proposed SELRT, SLRT and the SMLRT is still on the books (and so close to the extended Eglinton-Crosstown LRT), but planners were talking of expanding Mount Dennis to accommodate the extension, not extending tracks to Sheppard to connect to Conlins Road.

As for a two-stop subway extension to Victoria Park - that's not the worst idea in the world. Further east, there's really no need for anything more than an improved bus service feeding it, Scarborough Centre, and UTSC.

The issue there is crossing the Don branch at Bathurst. $$$$
Not necessarily - with the new mantra of building long subway with no stations, they can simply tunnel a bit deeper.

If the prime driver is Wilson yard rather than putting a station at Bathurst, this becomes fairly simple.

Last edited:
Extending to Victoria Park won't work. Scarborough would explode if the plans were to have a subway line stop right at the Scarborough border.

Also creating a second transfer for downown-bound commuters on Sheppard who are using the relief line.
Yah that is also not at all good.

Not necessarily - with the new mantra of building long subway with no stations, they can simply tunnel a bit deeper.

If the primer driver is Wilson yard rather than putting a station at Bathurst, this becomes fairly simple.
The only question I would have with that is the tail tracks that extend west of Yonge are not overly deep - is there enough room at the grades required for subway to get below the Don and away from the bridge foundations (among the other issues of tunneling below rivers).

The only question I would have with that is the tail tracks that extend west of Yonge are not overly deep - is there enough room at the grades required for subway to get below the Don and away from the bridge foundations (among the other issues of tunneling below rivers).

That's a good question. Given the depth of the valley, it may be pretty tough. I was always under the impression that it would be bridged over the valley, likely in a covered bridge like between Sherbourne and Castle Frank.

Haven't we discussed this enough times? Could be tight.

But really - is a low bridge that much more expensive per kilometre than a tunnel?

Back