News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So the Sheppard East LRT is scheduled to open four days from now. Anyone here planning to make the trip up to Sheppard for the inaugural ride? :eek: :rolleyes:

Oh wait.. never mind. Thanks Rob.

The slow but inevitable death of the Sheppard LRT is continuing, according to reports to the Metrolinx board they are evaluating the next steps in the procurement of the maintenance facility in light of City Councils decision for subways on the SRT corridor, meaning that work will stall and the time period where permanently canceling it with just the stroke of a pen is easy will continue to stretch on.

Scarborough/Sheppard MSF
 Metrolinx/Infrastructure Ontario issued the revised RFP on November 2, 2012 to the three
proponents. The closing date was May 7, 2013 and evaluation of the proposals is currently
underway. Next steps are being evaluated in light of the Toronto City Council vote to support
subway on SRT.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20130910/20130910_BoardMtg_RTI_Report_EN.pdf

When did Council approve a subway on the SRT corridor? It won't go to vote till October. And it seems unlikely that Council will support the plan.

Aside from York Region subway extensions I expect it'll be all talk and no action. Hopefully the GO Network will become more integrateable with bus feeder routes to save the day.

So the Sheppard East LRT is scheduled to open four days from now. Anyone here planning to make the trip up to Sheppard for the inaugural ride? :eek: :rolleyes:

Oh wait.. never mind. Thanks Rob.

Maybe we should have an "official" ribbon-cutting ceremony of the "new Sheppard East LRT" that would be "completed" just days from now?

So basically the worse case scenario is coming true. Not only did council vote to replace a funded SCLRT plan with an unfunded subway pipe dream. Not only are they breaking their promise to revert back to the SCLRT when the subway pipe dream proved to be just that. Now the subway pipe dream has likely taken down every proposed LRT route with it. Rather than getting an integrated network of suburban rapid transit by 2020, we'll get 2 subway stations and an orphaned LRT line along Eglinton.

And if Hudak becomes Premier in the next few years, we may not even see the ECTLRT either.

The Finch LRT is completely untouched by this, and the Sheppard LRT still has funding but they just need to figure out what to do now that the Conlins yard doesn't need to be so big.

So basically the worse case scenario is coming true. Not only did council vote to replace a funded SCLRT plan with an unfunded subway pipe dream. Not only are they breaking their promise to revert back to the SCLRT when the subway pipe dream proved to be just that. Now the subway pipe dream has likely taken down every proposed LRT route with it. Rather than getting an integrated network of suburban rapid transit by 2020, we'll get 2 subway stations and an orphaned LRT line along Eglinton.

I remember back in the spring there were some posters here who thought that a spring election would be the best thing for Toronto transit. Others said that keeping the Liberals in power would be the best thing. I guess that second group is very happy the way things are progressing.

Last edited:
The Finch LRT is completely untouched by this, and the Sheppard LRT still has funding but they just need to figure out what to do now that the Conlins yard doesn't need to be so big.

Many never built transit projects have had funding. Hudak, that alleged fiscal conservative, will cancel Finch and Sheppard, he has stated clearly that they should both be subways, neither of course will actually get built.

Many never built transit projects have had funding. Hudak, that alleged fiscal conservative, will cancel Finch and Sheppard, he has stated clearly that they should both be subways, neither of course will actually get built.

I know this is unlikely but ID be happy if they took the sheppard money and finch money and finish the Eglinton line... At least then the city would have one completed LRT to look at as an example vs stumps..

provided Hudak ever actually gets elected..

I have discussed this before, but the transit city lines would become Hudak's Gas plants. There are already millions sunk into both LRT lines, and by the time he wins office the contract for the Conlins yard will have been awarded meaning huge cancellation fees. Like it or not, the Gas Plants may very well have saved the LRT lines. Hudak simply can't cancel them, as it would result in the province incurring millions in penalties and sunk costs, which the media would jump all over. The Harris subway cancellation also now resonates with many Ontarians and if he was to cancel another transit line he could be quite quickly painted as a "Harris 2.0" which would lose him a lot of voters.

Didn't Hudak hypocritically support the gas plant cancellation? I don't doubt that he would cancel the LRT lines if he really wanted to

The Harris subway cancellation also now resonates with many Ontarians and if he was to cancel another transit line he could be quite quickly painted as a "Harris 2.0" which would lose him a lot of voters.

Yup. That subway cancellation has basically ensured that I'll never for a Provincial Conservative. To this very day that cancellation makes my blood boil. How they could do something so incredibly stupid is beyond me. They have lost my vote for a very long time.

Back