News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

he did, but people conveniently forgot about it. (including him and his party)

The reality is that the ruling party gets scrutinized a whole lot more than the opposition parties. If Hudak were to gain office, I like to think that he wouldn't cancel the lines seeing the impending costs of doing so and the potential scandal that results from it.

The reality is that the ruling party gets scrutinized a whole lot more than the opposition parties. If Hudak were to gain office, I like to think that he wouldn't cancel the lines seeing the impending costs of doing so and the potential scandal that results from it.

Very true insert.

But we don't have much to worry about either way. He'll never be elected. That's why I like the guy so much :rolleyes:

Didn't Hudak hypocritically support the gas plant cancellation?
Support? It was his idea as far as I recall, and the Liberals stupidly tried to beat him to the punch. I can't begin to fathom how he can be so high an might on something that he agreed with at the time.

The SELRT is one LRT project I'd love to see die.

Eglinton is better.
Finch is better.
WWLRT is better.

I know Jane is dead, but even it was better.

I'd be fine with them transferring the Sheppard funds to building more of Eglinton (i.e. to the Airport).

Part of me thinks if there is going to be this much arguing about technology it doesnt really seem to make sense building on sheppard either. Instead if Finch could get to Yonge and Eglinton could get to the airport then we at least have one complete eglinton line and half a finch line. TWo good examples of what LRT could bring to the city. Then the city in 25 years can re evaluate Sheppard.

It honestly looks like the first plan to underground Eglinton and connect to the SRT, as well as extending the Sheppard line to Victoria park was the best plan. But maybe im just saying that because im more and more concerned that any LRT line gets built and it would be a complete waste if the money just disappeared into zero transit.

provided Hudak ever actually gets elected..

I have discussed this before, but the transit city lines would become Hudak's Gas plants. There are already millions sunk into both LRT lines, and by the time he wins office the contract for the Conlins yard will have been awarded meaning huge cancellation fees. Like it or not, the Gas Plants may very well have saved the LRT lines. Hudak simply can't cancel them, as it would result in the province incurring millions in penalties and sunk costs, which the media would jump all over. The Harris subway cancellation also now resonates with many Ontarians and if he was to cancel another transit line he could be quite quickly painted as a "Harris 2.0" which would lose him a lot of voters.

Hudak can cancel Conlins for no cost - it has not been awarded yet. As for the design costs, much of that is already wasted since even the way the Liberals are going, the whole thing needs to be redesigned.

For Eglinton, Hudak could change the TBM launch site to accomodate a south side alignment for no cost (other than some design) since it too has not been awarded.

That is the hard part for any opposition party. It is difficult to make promises to a moving target. The more the Liberals move transit down the wrong path the more likely it is that a promise made by an opposition party today would change when the election is actually held. The opposition parties are not privy to the details of contact and what poison pills they might contain - this also makes it difficult to cancel and existing contract, although it was most famously done by Chretiens' Liberals for a loss of $1B, and he suffered no loss in popularity.

The more the Liberals move transit down the wrong path the more likely it is that a promise made by an opposition party today would change when the election is actually held. .

You are making the assumption that most people think that the liberals are bringing "transit down the wrong path." Honestly, if we could go back to David Millers time and put that DRL on top of the TC map, then how many people would think what you are saying is true? TC plus DRL is really good additional transit in comparison to what we have been building (NOTHING). The problem was trying to build TC without any subway extensions anywhere on the map.

Support? It was his idea as far as I recall, and the Liberals stupidly tried to beat him to the punch. I can't begin to fathom how he can be so high an might on something that he agreed with at the time.

Yup its funny how Hudak comes out firing on the gas plants issue when he himself promised to cancel it himself:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ontariovotes2011/story/2011/10/05/hudak-mississauga-gas-plant.html

In addition, Hudak is feeling the heat on the subways; didn't Hudak want the subways too?
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=761635

Good ol' Tim 'the Hypocrite' Hudak

The SELRT is one LRT project I'd love to see die.

Eglinton is better.
Finch is better.
WWLRT is better.

I know Jane is dead, but even it was better.

I'd be fine with them transferring the Sheppard funds to building more of Eglinton (i.e. to the Airport).

Agree that the Sheppard LRT is probably the worst of the LRT projects. For the $900 million or so, I rather see them extend the Sheppard Subway to Warden and Sheppard (add 3 extra stops), and maybe widen Sheppard all the way to Agincourt GO Station/Midland. That will help the area out a lot.

You are making the assumption that most people think that the liberals are bringing "transit down the wrong path." Honestly, if we could go back to David Millers time and put that DRL on top of the TC map, then how many people would think what you are saying is true? TC plus DRL is really good additional transit in comparison to what we have been building (NOTHING). The problem was trying to build TC without any subway extensions anywhere on the map.

When I overlaid the DRL on top of Transit City, the most glaring thing was that the Eglinton LRT was at grade from Brentcliffe to Kennedy. As such, the DRL is a disjointed line that does not connect properly to Eglinton riders from the East or the West. This would greatly reduce the effectiveness of the DRL in relieving the Yonge line. If this were grade-separated, it would created a rapid midtown route connected to all the north-south subway routes.

When I overlaid the DRL on top of Transit City, the most glaring thing was that the Eglinton LRT was at grade from Brentcliffe to Kennedy. As such, the DRL is a disjointed line that does not connect properly to Eglinton riders from the East or the West. This would greatly reduce the effectiveness of the DRL in relieving the Yonge line. If this were grade-separated, it would created a rapid midtown route connected to all the north-south subway routes.

What if I told you for only $700 Million you could have your own elevated rapid transit line! ;)

Why does this greatly reduce the effectiveness of the DRL? Are riders on Eglinton not going to get off and transfer to the DRL simply because they had to endure the unspeakable horror of an extra few minutes in travel time along Eglinton?

no, more due to the fact that frequency is halfed after the underground portion ends. (it would have been Don mills in the new plan, but has since reverted back to Laird) regardless, I think you people are underestimating the draw of actually getting a seat on the subway. as Eglinton would be the terminus of the DRL, every person transfering from the ECLRT would be getting a seat. I can see Bayview riders taking the ECLRT to Don Mills to get a seat on the DRL instead of just hopping over to Yonge, despite that route being faster.

What if I told you for only $700 Million you could have your own elevated rapid transit line! ;)

Since Sheppard is likely done-for anyway, keep the $300 million in Federal funds on Sheppard to put in an enhanced bus service, and move the other $650 million over to Eglinton to elevate. Would have a much greater net benefit for Scarborough than what was proposed in Transit City.

I would rather pay half that - it does not have to be gold plated. Elevated is $100M ot $140M /km and in-median is $60M to $80M /km.

The elevated stations are quite a bit more expensive than at-grade stations though. That's where the inflated cost comes from. And because of the 90m platform length, they need a 2nd exit and everything.

Last edited:

Back