News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

As for the hatred of the SELRT, 2 big reasons:

1) The transfer at Don Mills. It's annoying, and with an LRT to HRT transfer, it's most likely a permanent one. At least with a BRT to HRT transfer, there can be a sense that the subway could be extended further east one day. The SELRT pretty much cuts that possibility off for at least a generation.

2) It's overkill. The only section of the SELRT that really NEEDS LRT is from Don Mills to Victoria Park, maybe to Warden. East of there, it's squarely in the wheelhouse for BRT. Even the peak point peak period ridership is only 3,100 pphpd. The Southwest Transitway in Ottawa, which operates a significant section of shoulder bus lanes, carries more than that, and it does just fine.

The permanency is the major issue.

Along Finch West, nobody except Ford or Mammo would expect a subway. That LRT would have been received a lot better – but was the lowest priority.

Sheppard East and Eglinton – where there were strong debates between subway and LRT, were pushed instead.

Good point. Personally, I'd rather see the ARL become part of the GO REX network, but I suppose it would serve the same function. As for the DRL East, if you want it further north to Sheppard, I think that elevating it above Don Mills would be the best way of doing it, especially north of York Mills.

I still don't think that a few stop extension of the Sheppard Subway will inconvenience people that much though. The benefits certainly outweigh the drawbacks.

I guess my thing with Sheppard is to me network wise it looks like it makes much more sense if it connects to Sheppard West before it goes east. Then you would have people from Vaughan possibly using or people from Toronto wanting to go to a Ikea which isnt at leslie using it...

That OR bring the finch LRT down dufferin and then go east on Sheppard, convert the Subway to LRT and finish the rest of sheppard LRT... Presto Northern crosstown...

Last edited:
http://nextcity.org/forefront/view/canadas-strangest-straphanger

“What’s happening in Toronto, most cities in North America would love to have happening… Lots of growth, lots of young people, a city that is known to be very livable. What’s needed is as serious investment in transportation to make it work.”

crash_950_535_80.jpg

toronto_1_860_484_80.jpg

trains_crash_860_484_80.jpg

I guess my thing with Sheppard is to me network wise it looks like it makes much more sense if it connects to Sheppard West before it goes east. Then you would have people from Vaughan possibly using or people from Toronto wanting to go to a Ikea which isnt at leslie using it...

If the Sheppard East LRT does go ahead, I'm a big proponent of converting the Sheppard Subway to LRT, and extending it westward at-grade. I've done the math on it before (using rough estimates mind you), and the cost of doing the conversion + at-grade extension is pretty much identical to the cost of extending the subway westward as a subway. For the same cost, you could get a continuous line from Downsview to Morningside. The latter is much more appealing to me.

Of course, that is IF the SELRT goes ahead, which I'm doubtful it will.

Now that the Sheppard LRT has been proposed, I don't think people would be too happy to see if just all of a sudden converted to a BRT. It would be like how some feel going from a subway to an LRT, a lesser option.

If the Sheppard East LRT does go ahead, I'm a big proponent of converting the Sheppard Subway to LRT, and extending it westward at-grade. I've done the math on it before (using rough estimates mind you), and the cost of doing the conversion + at-grade extension is pretty much identical to the cost of extending the subway westward as a subway. For the same cost, you could get a continuous line from Downsview to Morningside. The latter is much more appealing to me.

Of course, that is IF the SELRT goes ahead, which I'm doubtful it will.

I just re edited my last post suggesting the same thing and connecting to finch via Dufferin which already has temporary BRT lanes.

Now that the Sheppard LRT has been proposed, I don't think people would be too happy to see if just all of a sudden converted to a BRT. It would be like how some feel going from a subway to an LRT, a lesser option.

If it means a fully grade-separated Eglinton line, I think a lot of people would be willing to make that trade.

I just re edited my last post suggesting the same thing and connecting to finch via Dufferin which already has temporary BRT lanes.

Yup, that definitely makes a lot of sense to me. In fact, I posted a similar map at some point earlier.

EDIT: Found it in my previously posted files, haha. I use the rail corridor here, but Dufferin would certainly work as well. In fact, since I've made that map, I believe Dufferin is the preferred alignment.
Northern Crosstown LRT.jpg

Attachments

• Northern Crosstown LRT.jpg
    Northern Crosstown LRT.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 449
Thats basically what I would like to see which is why I am hoping for the LRT to be built... I know you like the BRTs and I do have a preference for TRAMS but the bigger thing is I just like to see a reasonable network be built... I believe this northern LRT would work well as well as a Eglinton LRT line all the way to the airport. Combine that with a ARL/DRL and the danforth extension to STC with a split like you suggested to Kennedy Go station and all of a sudden we have a tram network I would be VERY happy with... Then BRT all you want!!!

make a map of it...!!!!!!

Yup, that definitely makes a lot of sense to me. In fact, I posted a similar map at some point earlier.

EDIT: Found it in my previously posted files, haha. I use the rail corridor here, but Dufferin would certainly work as well. In fact, since I've made that map, I believe Dufferin is the preferred alignment.
View attachment 17514

I would just stay on Sheppard. And let Finch end at Finch West. As time passes and when funds are available, Finch West can eventually be extended to Yonge. In the West, this would do a ton for Rexdale.

I would just stay on Sheppard. And let Finch end at Finch West. As time passes and when funds are available, Finch West can eventually be extended to Yonge. In the West, this would do a ton for Rexdale.

Actually if that was done, The sheppard would have to extended through Scarborough anyway because the demand would be there, if not the density, due to more riders on the line. That would bring more riders which would justify an extension out east to morningside. Just IMO

I am really interested as to why people don't like surface LRT, but they'll embrace BRT. I finally had the chance to check out the YRT busway on Highway 7, and I was quite impressed by the infrastructure, but one thing that stood out for me was the busway wasn't entirely grade-seperated., and no signal priority (from my observations). Yet, I heard nothing but accolades for it.
Other than the tech, there isn't much operational difference between a median busway and a median LRT. So why the hatred towards SELRT? I don't get it.

Because it looks like a street car.

Back