News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Might look like a cool idea, but doesn't work from the number of passengers. The piece of YUS north of Downsview will have the lowest ridership of the entire line. It's the last piece you'd want extra service on. A better idea is to split the YUS line just north of Downsview, and have one piece curve back down to Sheppard, and turn into the Sheppard line. Essentially Sheppard would become a branch of the YUS. Those who want to travel from York U to Don Mills would simply change at Downsview.

How about:
Finch > Vaughan via Downtown
Finch > Don Mills via Downtown

If you agree or oppose to getting started now on the Sheppard East LRT, because of delays to the SRT replacement, go to http://commonground.ontarioliberal.ca/ and cast your vote on the Sheppard East LRT now idea, at this link.

You may have to register to record your vote. You may want to create your own idea, after looking through the other ideas posted.

If you agree or oppose to getting started now on the Sheppard East LRT, because of delays to the SRT replacement, go to http://commonground.ontarioliberal.ca/ and cast your vote on the Sheppard East LRT now idea, at this link.

You may have to register to record your vote. You may want to create your own idea, after looking through the other ideas posted.

Nice, I'd post that on the Toronto Reddit Page for more visibility.

How about:
Finch > Vaughan via Downtown
Finch > Don Mills via Downtown
Yes. I like it.
I also added a Don Mills straight west to York U and Vaughan. The key is the interchange at Downsview. I shift the Sheppard station East a bit to Wilson Heights (it shares the same bus garage, but is not directly above the Spadina line station. This should also be close enough to Faywood that the station would not be needed.
Downsview Station.jpg

Here are more details.
. . . . Here is my thought for Sheppard West. I am sure I have seen parts of this before, but I will consolidate it into one plan. Essentially, the Sheppard subway would be interlined with the Spadina line at the (existing) Downsview station, alternating going north and south. Here is the resulting TTC map (excuse the poor graphics).

View attachment 11462

So we have 4 lines (actually 3, but I gave the short-turn one its own name) operating and the YUS and Spadina lines. At peak, the trains have the following frequencies:

- Yonge-University-Vaughan (yellow) = 4 minutes
- Yonge-University-Downsview (red) = 8 minutes
- Sheppard-University-Yonge (pink) = 8 minutes
- Sheppard-Vaughan (blue) = 8 minutes

Attachments

• Downsview Station.jpg
    Downsview Station.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 410
Thanks for the link, W. K. Lis. I placed my vote in favour of moving ahead on the LRT.

Regardless of the merits of possible plans, if we don't build something now we won't see anything in our lifetimes. I understand why people are skeptical about putting an LRT on Sheppard where there's already a subway that could be extended. But the arguments against doing so are sound. And subways can be built elsewhere. Plus LRT actually is a good thing for the outlying areas of the city. So let's build the damned thing and start working on plans for subway lines in the meantime.

This is the same reason I would reluctantly support the SRT subway replacement at this stage - they should have stuck to the original transit city plan, but now there is clearly momentum in favour of the subway. So let's get it done already.

so what is happening with the SELRT? Cant believe all these LRT were approved back in 2007 (I think) and yet 7 years later just Eglinton barely got started

Well the rumour is that Metrolinx is working on fast-tracking funding for our SELRT. Whether or not funding comes faster depends on the outcome of the upcoming municipal election and (potential) provincial election. If funding is fast tracked then we could very well see shovels in the ground by this time next year.

The official plan is to begin construction in 2017 and operations to begin in 2021.

Well the rumour is that Metrolinx is working on fast-tracking funding for our SELRT. Whether or not funding comes faster depends on the outcome of the upcoming municipal election and (potential) provincial election. If funding is fast tracked then we could very well see shovels in the ground by this time next year.

The official plan is to begin construction in 2017 and operations to begin in 2021.
But I thought Metrolinx was suppose to be independent. Now funding is based on the election. I suppose this is to see which revenue tools will be implemented. Can't believe 10 years after in principle having a SELRT, it takes 10 years before (maybe) the plan is even begun to put shovels in the ground.

How can it take 4 years to put that LRT in?

Yeah but they're not stupid. They realize if (knock on wood) Tim Hudak or (knock on wood) Rob Ford were to be elected, our SELRT would be killed for the second time. Why waste the money?

But once you have started it, especially because you can see the tracks, and the penalties involved and the way transit has been going (or not) in the city, would anyone dare cancel it?

Back