News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The only station that makes sense is Bathurst, Putting a station at Faywood and Senlac is like those other stations that are on the Sheppard subway that no one has ever heard of and I cannot even remember their names much less pronounce them. Subways stations should be at major intersections, not local streets

I disagree. If we do incur the expense of building a subway line, the stations should be reasonably accessible. A 2 km spacing is too wide. The optimal spacing is in the range of 700 m to 1 km; then many locals will be able to walk into the station.

Faywood is a medium-density area, and a subway station there would connect to a local route (104).

I disagree. If we do incur the expense of building a subway line, the stations should be reasonably accessible. A 2 km spacing is too wide. The optimal spacing is in the range of 700 m to 1 km; then many locals will be able to walk into the station.

Faywood is a medium-density area, and a subway station there would connect to a local route (104).

I would think that the King alignment has greatest potential as the central stations will be at walking distance of nearly all important locations downtown.

Having stations every 700 m may be too expensive.

But too expensive for downtown where density is 3-4 times greater and where there are actual destinations and lots of them including many jobs?

With the new alignment proposed by the city for the Bloor-Danforth extension, if it were to be approved and actually get to the tendering stage before being changed again, I am wondering if the Sheppard LRT shouldn't run a route of Sheppard, Kennedy, Progress, existing grade separated LRT corridor, proposed grade separated LRT corridor to Malvern.

But too expensive for downtown where density is 3-4 times greater and where there are actual destinations and lots of them including many jobs?

Even in downtown, there are not that many destinations east of St Lawrence market. Local density on King (or whatever route the DRL takes) east of St Lawrence is likely similar to local density on Sheppard, and both are mostly residential with few jobs.

Note that I mentioned 700m to 1 km as the optimal spacing, but I do not actually expect a 700m average on Sheppard West to happen. 1 km is the closest we can expect on that line.

Anyway, this debate is largely academic because Sheppard West subway should not be the top priority.

With the new alignment proposed by the city for the Bloor-Danforth extension, if it were to be approved and actually get to the tendering stage before being changed again, I am wondering if the Sheppard LRT shouldn't run a route of Sheppard, Kennedy, Progress, existing grade separated LRT corridor, proposed grade separated LRT corridor to Malvern.

Yes, this route would touch many more destinations.

But there are two potential caveats. First of all, it will likely be more expensive than the funded plain-vanilla, street-median Sheppard LRT. It would require a rebuilt guideway from Kennedy to at least McCowan, and two Hwy 401 crossings. In the present political climate, it is a lot harder to raise funds to enhance LRT than to raise the same amount to enhance a subway.

Secondly, if the LRT diverts to Scarborough Centre, then the Sheppard bus will probably have to keep going all the way to Don Mills subway, in order not to force the riders to transfer twice.

Whatever, those lines, as well as most lines for at least a decade are as good as done, there is no way the liberals are going to last another year. The only possible way to save them is for Murray to read Metrolinx the riot act and get construction underway by next summer.

Ford will be campaigning for subways there are enough gullible fools who will vote for him, and Hudak will taking advantage of them as well.

Whatever, those lines, as well as most lines for at least a decade are as good as done, there is no way the liberals are going to last another year. The only possible way to save them is for Murray to read Metrolinx the riot act and get construction underway by next summer.

Ford will be campaigning for subways there are enough gullible fools who will vote for him, and Hudak will taking advantage of them as well.

You really think the PCs will come to power? God help us if they do.

The question is how long and under who's leadership. Also, the PCs could argue otherwise, they were in power for over 40 years up until the 1990's. The Liberals are still polling high enough to win another election, especially considering that the Liberals have by far the most efficient and effective election machine. Come election time I have a feeling that they could very easily win another minority government for another 2 or 3 years at least. I don't see them being in power until 2020, but 2017 or 2018 is completely possible. If they can recover from the scandals and just sit quiet without any new ones for a while people will warm up to them as well. The Gas plants are finally over 2 years later, so we will see what happens. Liberal outlook can only improve from now on provided no new scandals emerge.

The question is how long and under who's leadership. Also, the PCs could argue otherwise, they were in power for over 40 years up until the 1990's. The Liberals are still polling high enough to win another election, especially considering that the Liberals have by far the most efficient and effective election machine. Come election time I have a feeling that they could very easily win another minority government for another 2 or 3 years at least. I don't see them being in power until 2020, but 2017 or 2018 is completely possible. If they can recover from the scandals and just sit quiet without any new ones for a while people will warm up to them as well. The Gas plants are finally over 2 years later, so we will see what happens. Liberal outlook can only improve from now on provided no new scandals emerge.

This is the problem with scandals and the short term memory of the electorate (regardless of parties) the gas plants are not over after 2 years....last I read they will be paid for over the next 20 years by inflated electricity charges.

Nobody will remember them by the end of 2014 provided nothing new pops up with it, That is why Hudak is stressing an election right now so much, so he can leverage them. It is also the reason he is calling for ANOTHER inquiry into the it, so it can continue to be in the media and he can stretch the scandal even further. In reality it is over, it was over 2 years ago, they have testified in court, the final price tag has been released, etc.

of course we will be paying for it for 20 years, a 1.1 billion tax hike over a single year would not go over well. People would probably prefer to pay $1 extra a month than $240 in one year.

The question is how long and under who's leadership.

If this decade, it has to be Hudak.

Rule #1: Opposition leaders tend not to win election in Ontario when it is their first time running (I think it's happened once). If Conservatives change leaders before winning, they're for-fitting an entire term while the new leader learns how to deal with press.

Rule #2: Ontario rarely matches up both the provincial and federal vote. With Harper in power and fairly popular in Ontario, it gives weight to a Liberal or NDP win at the provincial level. The mushy middle seems to split their vote to represent both sides of their opinion.

We saw the opposite effect with Chrétien and Harris. There might be overlap for a small period of time but it doesn't tend to last very long.

Rules were meant to be broken but these ones seem to hold pretty well; enough to win a large chunk of cash on UBC's election prediction/gambling site by betting against the majority where they both hold true.

Last edited:

I do not understand the NDP. Do they think that by next spring the Liberals will become even worse and they will be polling in the high 40's?

There is a chance that the PC's will win a majority, but due to Hudaks popularity, it may not be that high. The Liberals have done a terrible job for 10 years and I do not think there is anyone stupid enough to support the Liberals now who did not support them two years ago. The Liberals have nowhere to go but down. This means that Horvath has a very good chance of beating the Liberals and then forming a coalition with them - but with NDP in the premiers seat and not as a silent partner. Horvath could even do this is the PC's get the most seats, but not enough for a majority.

by the way, I think the PC's relinquished power in about 1984, not the 1990's. There were those arrogant tax-and-spend Liberal years under Pederson that allowed Rae to get in.

Back