News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It can be on the surface but off the road when possible, and in trenches. And since it's so suburban in that area there wouldn't be much in the way to build it like that :D

I grew up in the same area as sixrings also at midland and huntingwood. I remember riding the 85 to work and to Ryerson and sitting in traffic. I am looking forward to my old neighborhood being served by reliable and quick public transit. And I am also looking forward to driving those new vehicles as I am a streetcar driver myself. yes it's not a subway as all you dreamers wish but it's making the best of the situation as it stands

Hi nfitz,

Personally, I wouldn't put that much weight in the existence of a funding agreement. Transit project or not, governments do renegotiate for political advantage and/or due to economic reality, as evidenced by the deferral of much of Transit City earlier this year.

Sheppard East LRT will get built for additional reasons than just the funding agreement that does exist between Toronto, Ontario and Canada for it's completion. One only need examine the earnestness of the messaging by all three levels of government as of late:

"The Government of Canada understands how important it is to ease commutes and reduce congestion in the Greater Toronto region, which is why we have invested in new transit projects such as the Sheppard East Light Rail Transit line," said the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance and Regional Minister for the Greater Toronto Area.

"This project is the first of many that will improve transit services in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area," said Bob Chiarelli, Ontario Minister of Infrastructure. "Our government's investment in transit and transit facilities will not only help create thousands of new well-paid jobs, but also will help reduce energy consumption, travel time and improve air quality by getting more cars off the road."

"The new service and maintenance facility will support both the Sheppard East LRT and Scarborough RT projects. Each project will launch a new era of transit for the North East Toronto community by providing a rapid transit service that efficiently links people to their destinations and reduces dependency on the private automobile" said Adam Giambrone, TTC Chair. http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2010/23/c4435.html

The line has become a showcase project for each level of government's commitment to transit. The incumbent Toronto government wants to be able to add some sort of transit win to its legacy. "Adam, what's that stain on your couch?" Likewise with the province who will be in power for at least a year before their flip-flopping comes home to roost. To the federal government, the line is a cheap token to prove to Toronto voters that "we don't hate you...completely."

The only question is whether the line will end at Conlins Rd as is currently planned or will be extended into the UT Scarborough campus to provide higher order transit to Centennial and UT students. To get an upgrade to this logical anchor terminal, the city, province or feds need to step with an extra $200 million or so.

One of the more efficient ways to provide better transit in the GTA for long distances is to improve Commuter Rail options and service. So instead of Sheppard LRT to Sheppard Subway to Yonge Subway, it can be transfer at Oriole or Agincourt to go downtown and arrange to arrive at those GO stations when your train is about to arrive.

These LRT lines certainly greatly improve local transit, but hacked onto the Sheppard subway makes it look like a piecemeal half ass job, they should at least continue the LRT down the Sheppard tunnels so it would be one continuous line and it's not like the Sheppard trains were ever close to being full anyway so they won't be missed.

Last edited:
If people thought St. Clair is a disaster, wait till you see shepperd!

Sheppard is NOT St Clair. The overall scope of the work being done is very different. The delays and disruptions there had little to do with the actual construction of the ROW...they were caused by utilities coordination and NIMBY lawsuits. I'm not saying Sheppard will be painless, but the issues on St Clair are hardly relevant.

There was a article in a local Scarborough paper that talked of businesses along Sheppard being pleased with the TTC's communication so far.
Like Franky said, this IS NOT St. Clair. Why don't people look at Harbourtfront, and Spadina? Those lines were built without any problems.

Last edited:
Funny that no-one that actually lives or has lived in scarborough is a proponent of shepperd east?

If people thought St. Clair is a disaster, wait till you see shepperd!

Also interesting is how there was NO action at the agincourt station the entire summer (super slow contrstuction), then all of the sudden, with the threat of cancellation, these union goons are working faster than ever?

incredible what a little political pressure can do... they can actually produce!

I live near Eglinton and Jane (crosser to Jane & Weston actually). Eglinton is designated for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and Jane is designated for the Jane LRT. I am a proponent for both the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and the Jane LRT. Yes there can be improvements, like I prefer to see an underground Weston station on the Eglinton LRT instead of an above ground Weston stop. However, I still definitely want to see Transit City built and not cancelled.

Also, when I go to and return from downtown, I deliberately take the 512 St. Clair streetcar for part of my journey.

Last edited:
One of the more efficient ways to provide better transit in the GTA for long distances is to improve Commuter Rail options and service. So instead of Sheppard LRT to Sheppard Subway to Yonge Subway, it can be transfer at Oriole or Agincourt to go downtown and arrange to arrive at those GO stations when your train is about to arrive.

These LRT lines certainly greatly improve local transit, but hacked onto the Sheppard subway makes it look like a piecemeal half ass job, they should at least continue the LRT down the Sheppard tunnels so it would be one continuous line and it's not like the Sheppard trains were ever close to being full anyway so they won't be missed.

Fact #fail.

Have you even read any of the Sheppard threads?

Fact #fail.

Have you even read any of the Sheppard threads?

Trains are full due to budget concerns (I.e. artificially restricted capacity to save on manpower costs) not an actual physical constraint. Capacity could be tripled within a week based a single word from the commission to do so (bring in the drivers).

Trains are full due to budget concerns (I.e. artificially restricted capacity to save on manpower costs) not an actual physical constraint. Capacity could be tripled within a week based a single word from the commission to do so (bring in the drivers).

And even with the Sheppard Line running at less than a third of the capacity of the Yonge line, I have never seen the Sheppard trains nearly as packed as Yonge,

And even with the Sheppard Line running at less than a third of the capacity of the Yonge line, I have never seen the Sheppard trains nearly as packed as Yonge,
And I've never seen B-D trains as packed as Yonge during normal service. That must mean we only have one successful subway line.

If Ford wins, I predict the Sheppard LRT crashes and burns.

If Ford wins, I predict the Sheppard LRT crashes and burns.
Why would it? It's fully funded by the province and feds, with no cost to the City. Ford has already said that his subway suggestions won't fly if no one funds them. The province has already said it won't fund the subway proposals and will proceed with the current plans.

Also, if Ford cancelled the Sheppard LRT, Ford would have to find the money to purchase more buses in 2014, which TTC was counting would be replaced by LRVs fully paid for by the province.

Back