News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Last edited:
From the April 25 Metrolinx Board Meeting:

Report: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...TransitPlan_BoardPresentation_25April2012.pdf
Presentation: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...TransitPlan_BoardPresentation_25April2012.pdf

The timing for Sheppard is certainly going to be *really* interesting. Makes you wonder if Mlinx/Province is hedging their bets.

AoD

Not written on a paper napkin. Saved the PDF's on my own hard hard. Don't want to lose it like Ford did with his MOU.

The proposed extension of the SRT from Sheppard/Markham (aka Sheppard East station) to Morningside station, with construction complete by 2016, is a surprise. And perhaps a typo ...

20120424metrolinx.jpg

Last edited:
From the April 25 Metrolinx Board Meeting:

Report: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...TransitPlan_BoardPresentation_25April2012.pdf
Presentation: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...TransitPlan_BoardPresentation_25April2012.pdf

The timing for Sheppard is certainly going to be *really* interesting. Makes you wonder if Mlinx/Province is hedging their bets.

AoD

"Starting Construction" implies that all the (expensive) detailed design work has been completed so I really doubt anyone will suddenly then decide to go back to Square 1. (Well, one hopes not with MY tax money!)

The proposed extension of the SRT from Sheppard/Markham (aka Sheppard East station) to Morningside station, with construction complete by 2016, is a surprise. And perhaps a typo ...

20120424metrolinx.jpg

That's referring to the storage facility only, I believe. It'll be open two years before the first line, with vehicles delivered in ~2015. Maybe the TTC can sell rides around the storage tracks.

"Starting Construction" implies that all the (expensive) detailed design work has been completed so I really doubt anyone will suddenly then decide to go back to Square 1. (Well, one hopes not with MY tax money!)

Yep...no duly elected government has ever cancelled anything after significant money has been spent on it. ;)

This map shows Eglinton and Scarborough as two projects. Does this mean the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown is back to separate projects with a connection at Kennedy?

Granted, with the extension of SRT to Sheppard East (and according to the map, at least the possibility of surface extension along Sheppard to Morningside on the Sheppard LRT tracks), it may simply be that the line is getting too long to be one line - but the idea of losing the "no transfer" option at Kennedy is a disappointment.

Edit: the report to the board only uses the "Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown" term in reference to the Ford MOU. Everywhere else, it's "Eglinton Crosstown" with a separate "Scarborough RT" reference.

So I'd say we are looking at Kennedy being a terminus for three separate lines.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that this report is about building things, not so much about running them. It will be another 7-8 years before the Scarborough and Eglinton lines go into service. As long as they leave in the flexibility to run them separately or together (of course no information on the station configuration here) it's not the most pressing issue.

The most disappointing thing is that no one will ride any of these things till the civic election following the next civic election is underway. It's disappointing that they are unable or unwilling to get at least one line going sooner.

This map shows Eglinton and Scarborough as two projects. Does this mean the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown is back to separate projects with a connection at Kennedy?

Granted, with the extension of SRT to Sheppard East (and according to the map, at least the possibility of surface extension along Sheppard to Morningside on the Sheppard LRT tracks), it may simply be that the line is getting too long to be one line - but the idea of losing the "no transfer" option at Kennedy is a disappointment.

Edit: the report to the board only uses the "Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown" term in reference to the Ford MOU. Everywhere else, it's "Eglinton Crosstown" with a separate "Scarborough RT" reference.

So I'd say we are looking at Kennedy being a terminus for three separate lines.

this is the only thing I liked about Fords plan. it included the Scarborough RT as a singular line across Eglinton. everyone hates that transfer, and getting rid of it could have made Scarborough feel much less isolated.

Yes ... though we should probably wait and see the new Kennedy station design to see how they actually build it to operate ... plans can change ...

this is the only thing I liked about Fords plan. it included the Scarborough RT as a singular line across Eglinton. everyone hates that transfer, and getting rid of it could have made Scarborough feel much less isolated.
However it also served to transfer a significant part of the Danforth subway onto the longer Eglinton/Yonge line, which while providing not needed relief for the Danforth line, also would create further issues on the Yonge line north of Bloor. Better to build this now, and at some point in the future if numbers warrant, extend the Danforth subway to Scarborough Centre (which would provide some duplication of the Scarborough RT line ... however other cities have built light rail that parallel an existing suwbay line, but with more stops.

Last edited:
I'm also a little disappointed that we won't have any sections up and running before the next municipal election. It will be a key issue, and we deserve an example so we can make an informed choice on whether to support TC or not.

At the very least, Metrolinx needs to get an LRV or two and build a mock up of a typical platform, partly as a showcase, and partly to collect feedback from riders. This is just an idea, but I'd love to see Metrolinx lay a bit of track to the south of the CP mainline between Dupont Station and North Toronto (Summerhill) with a typical platform at each end, shuttling a single LRV back and forth. It would cost some money, but refining the design and operations, as well as gaining public support could be worth it in the end. All the necessary bridges are in place, they would just need to build the 1500m of track.

Ford could have had a better chance of selling the MOU to council if it brought up Durham's BRT line running along Ellesmere, thus ensuring that eastern Scarborough would not be left high and dry.

Actually, the MOU could have seen a Mississauga BRT connecting with an Eglinton (Toronto) subway connecting with a Durham BRT. Now we have an extra transfer in Scarborough in there, and varying disjointed lines north of Scarborough Centre.

Pushing the start of construction on Sheppard to 2014 will push it into the municipal election year, making this a municipal election issue.

In all likelihood there will be a centrist pro-subway candidate other than Ford who will realize the need to build subways instead of light rail. Building low capacity light rail along Sheppard will create too many transfers and will not provide a service much faster than the existing bus service along Sheppard. It will not provide travel times competitive with driving (despite severe rush hour traffic congestion) for the vast majority of east west trips in the northern part of the city. Grade separated transit is needed in Toronto, which includes subways and frequent commuter rail service, and light rail is totally inadequate for main lines, particularly with the rapid growth in the GTA we have been seeing. We will likely see 2 million new residents in the GTA in the next 20 years, most of them living in condominiums which means that the need for transit will be much larger and traffic congestion much more severe than what we see today. I hope that by 2014, the economy will be booming and more transit cash will be available, and possibly new taxes or road tolls will have been approved to raise revenue. $8 billion is nowhere near enough to tackle the problem of transit in the GTA, and this is why we saw council resurrect Transit City (build more lines for the same amount of money but use inferior light rail technology because there is not enough funding). We need 20, 30 or even 40 billion dollars in transit cash in the next 20 years, to build subways (the downtown relief line/along Don Mills, Eglinton, Sheppard, the Yonge extension to Highway 7, etc.), high frequency commuter rail on all the major lines, and major improvements to bus service in the 905. Cities of 7-8 million (which is what the GTA will be in 20 years) in areas where transit is properly funded (i.e. not Los Angeles) do not build light rail anywhere other than minor feeder lines (like St. Clair) to a large subway/commuter rail system. Toronto should be funding transit like Madrid, where there are 13 subway lines, ten all-day commuter rail lines and where 4 light rail lines provide service to areas much lower density than Eglinton, Sheppard or Finch.

When council voted in favour of bringing back Transit City in March, they also added a motion to study extending the Bloor-Danforth subway from Kennedy to SCC - wouldn't that make rebuilding the SRT as an LRT line redundant?

Back