News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Happy about the crossing lights :)

I'm not. They're annoying IMO. Cars wanting to pull out and turn left could have gone North or South a few blocks. It seems too close to the main intersection and really creates a lot of congestion in that area. Both driving and walking through I find it to be an annoying downgrade. I've already seen pedestrians have started to completely ignore the signals when crossing NS which is to be expected.

I gotta say, I'm starting to really hate the Mt. Pleasant cemetery. Although the cemetery looks like a nice green space from afar in the spring when the trees are in bloom, the actual roadways inside are just crappy stretches of asphalt built for cars. There are no benches for contemplation and no features that would make the place attractive at all. Forgive the pun, but it really deadens the stretch of Yonge between Davisville and St. Clair and destroys any chance of urban continuity. (Davisville to Eglinton isn't a whole lot better, but it does at least have the possibility of improvement).

I gotta say, I'm starting to really hate the Mt. Pleasant cemetery. Although the cemetery looks like a nice green space from afar in the spring when the trees are in bloom, the actual roadways inside are just crappy stretches of asphalt built for cars. There are no benches for contemplation and no features that would make the place attractive at all. Forgive the pun, but it really deadens the stretch of Yonge between Davisville and St. Clair and destroys any chance of urban continuity. (Davisville to Eglinton isn't a whole lot better, but it does at least have the possibility of improvement).
Who goes to a cemetery for contemplation (unless one is visiting a deceased relative's/friend's grave)?

What we need are more benches in our parks. There are massive parks in my neighbourhood and they contain like 2 or 3 benches. Any wonder they're dead spaces?

I hear you, but next time you're in the area, check out the city views from within the North-West corner of the cemetery, and you'll catch glimpses of Central Park (yes I am alluding to NY), while the mausoleums, whether Gothic or classical, provide a sense of gravitas. Midtown does not have any large formal green space, and the cemetery, which is surprisingly well used by joggers and dog walkers, presents an opportunity for contemplative public space.

The nearest public space that presents a similar opportunity is the Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens, all the way up at Lawrence. Beautiful space, but so poorly integrated into the city which surrounds it.

^ Good point. Despite being a cemetary, it does provide a nice expanse of green space in the city that is a bit of a retreat from the city, if you will.

I do like Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens too but instead of one large confined green space, it's a bit more stretched out than the cemetary, making for a different type of walking experience.

Who goes to a cemetery for contemplation (unless one is visiting a deceased relative's/friend's grave)?
I hear you, but next time you're in the area, check out the city views from within the North-West corner of the cemetery, and you'll catch glimpses of Central Park (yes I am alluding to NY), while the mausoleums, whether Gothic or classical, provide a sense of gravitas. Midtown does not have any large formal green space, and the cemetery, which is surprisingly well used by joggers and dog walkers, presents an opportunity for contemplative public space.

The nearest public space that presents a similar opportunity is the Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens, all the way up at Lawrence. Beautiful space, but so poorly integrated into the city which surrounds it.
Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens is arguably the nicest park in the city. In which way(s) is it poor integrated with the surrounding area?

Half a kilometre away from the nearest rapid transit stop, surrounded by wealthy sfh on 3 sides. Sure it borders some handsome mid-rise residential buildings but it also anchored by a gas station. This, and the fact that there are no complementary services or points of attraction nearby make this place a bit cut-off from the city, in my view...

Actually, it's not that. I can't quite put my finger on it and as you can tell I'm searching for supporting evidence. I guess I would expect a public space of that quality to provide a sense of arrival. Looking on Google Maps, I hadn't even realized that Lawrence Park leads to Alexander Muir Gardens. It just felt like a long walk along a fairly desolate street. Yonge, in spite of the residential density on the west site, manages to feel quite hostile in that area.

Again, maybe it's just me. I was very surprised when I saw what a beautiful space this was. Definitely would have missed it if it were not for my naturally inquisitive nature and interest in urban places.

Last edited:
The footlocker became a .... H&R block .... err

The footlocker became a .... H&R block .... err

Yeah, we'll probably see a few more businesses from that doomed building migrate a bit north as well. Gamerama already jumped ship and the Korean Cowboy was only a short-term venture to begin with. It's a shame to lose that building, the upkeep isn't great but it's unique and one of those places that defined Y&E. The area is losing all of its flavour in favour of generic condo storefronts which will command higher rents. Too bad they can't do something with the hideous way the theatre sticks its middle finger up to the sidewalk.

"We treasure the 270+ degree Toronto skyline view from our home at 2181 Yonge. Art Shoppe project will block part of it; we hope the remainder will be saved. Other tall building dwellers feel the same - See more at: https://midtown.mysocialpinpoint.com/yonge-eglington#/marker/10396"

2181 ruined my view a decade ago!
My cousin lives on Soudan. He's not happy that the Art Shoppe condo will block his evening sun; but one should consider themselves lucky to be able to own a house so close to the center of the city, in the first place.

"We treasure the 270+ degree Toronto skyline view from our home at 2181 Yonge. Art Shoppe project will block part of it; we hope the remainder will be saved. Other tall building dwellers feel the same - See more at: https://midtown.mysocialpinpoint.com/yonge-eglington#/marker/10396"

2181 ruined my view a decade ago!
It ruined my view of the CN Tower from my old building too.

Just goes to show that nobody should ever bank on sight lines being preserved in a multi-million population city.

I saw a photo on UT while browsing the forum a while back and there was a really neat night image posted of the Yonge St subway corridor (above ground portion), looking north towards Yonge & Eglinton. Does this ring any bells? I can't remember which thread it was in, unfortunately.

Back