News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

BRT is desperately needed on 137 Avenue. However the corridor doesn't have the space to fit everyone to be the needed complete corridor. In order to preserve trees and sidewalks, and give buses priority, car lanes will absolutely need conversion to bus lanes.
If only those power lines were not in the median because that would be an ideal spot for BRT lanes.

Yup was checking it out to see if the twinning to the Jasper Park gates was on the radar. Nope. But adding more lanes to 16 west to 779 is in planning.
Good to hear, the Yellowhead needs to be 6-laned to Stony Plain. I get that 16A is twinned there already as an alternate route but the majority of truck traffic is on 16.

I recall there being design plans for twinning 16 from Hinton to the park gates being out there about 8-9 years ago, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Is there any info available on the twinning of 17th Street from the Henday to ~39ave? It's well underway, but there's no information on the City's website, nor Building Edmonton or even the current construction map. By the looks of it, they are not yet twinning the section between Silverberry Road and 39 ave (to match where it's already twinned), and I'm trying to find out if that's just a Phase 2 thing, or if it's going to be a while until that area is done (which is just a ridiculous bottleneck, to have like 8 blocks in the middle of the route go back down to 2 lanes).

Is there any info available on the twinning of 17th Street from the Henday to ~39ave? It's well underway, but there's no information on the City's website, nor Building Edmonton or even the current construction map. By the looks of it, they are not yet twinning the section between Silverberry Road and 39 ave (to match where it's already twinned), and I'm trying to find out if that's just a Phase 2 thing, or if it's going to be a while until that area is done (which is just a ridiculous bottleneck, to have like 8 blocks in the middle of the route go back down to 2 lanes).
It is getting done but looks like just to about 34Ave. Not to the Henday.

I cannot wrap my head around this realignment of QEII

From Crossroads ASP:
"2.4 Queen Elizabeth II Highway Realignment Alberta Transportation has identified a need to realign the existing QEII from Highway 19 to 41st Avenue SW, of the City of Edmonton. The realignment will be necessary as a result of a planned outer ring-road, which will be located outside of the Crossroads ASP to the north. The planned future right-of-way of the Queen Elizabeth II is indicated on Figure 3:Opportunities and Constraints and will affect approximately 48 hectares of developable land within the Plan area. During the implementation stage of the realignment, some phasing out of development will occur, with the then current uses being abandoned and the requisite lands being made available for sale to Alberta Transportation to accommodate the realignment."

Mentioned again in the Rabbit Hill District Plan from April 2024:
"Alberta Transportation has identified a need to realign the existing Highway 2 from Highway 19 to 41 Avenue SW. A realignment of Highway19 is also being contemplated to accommodate a third runway at Edmonton International Airport"

1717533488048.png

I cannot wrap my head around this realignment of QEII

From Crossroads ASP:
"2.4 Queen Elizabeth II Highway Realignment Alberta Transportation has identified a need to realign the existing QEII from Highway 19 to 41st Avenue SW, of the City of Edmonton. The realignment will be necessary as a result of a planned outer ring-road, which will be located outside of the Crossroads ASP to the north. The planned future right-of-way of the Queen Elizabeth II is indicated on Figure 3:Opportunities and Constraints and will affect approximately 48 hectares of developable land within the Plan area. During the implementation stage of the realignment, some phasing out of development will occur, with the then current uses being abandoned and the requisite lands being made available for sale to Alberta Transportation to accommodate the realignment."

Mentioned again in the Rabbit Hill District Plan from April 2024:
"Alberta Transportation has identified a need to realign the existing Highway 2 from Highway 19 to 41 Avenue SW. A realignment of Highway19 is also being contemplated to accommodate a third runway at Edmonton International Airport"

View attachment 569549
Guarantee it's to eventually build an overpass and interchange on TWP 510 over the QEII.

🤮🤮 Is there a plan for a second ring road beyond the Henday? Or is this referring to a ring road for Nisku?
Unfortunately there is: https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/capital...dmonton-mayor-calls-it-a-lousy-idea-1.1908895
Wholly unnecessary and just inviting more sprawl. It has been shelfed for 10 or so years now with not much recent discussion about it, but it seemed at the time the most vocal proponent was the mayor of Parkland County and the most vocal opponent being Iveson. Hopefully it stays dormant, or better, completely dies. We don't need more reasons to compare us to Texan cities.

Back