News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hearing 2 large scale projects starting in Edmonton with a large builder but new to Edmonton in 2024 and they are being super confidential about it.

Any guesses?
heard something similar through the grapevines, but nothing concrete. what are your guesses?

Hearing 2 large scale projects starting in Edmonton with a large builder but new to Edmonton in 2024 and they are being super confidential about it.

Any guesses?
What large builders would be new to Edmonton? Lathe builders not here right now? They will be challenged with sub trades and a good question might be which large national structural trades are there that would be new to this market.

Any guesses?

No educated guesses certainly, but I would love to see one of the Vancouver developers like Westbank out here. Wonder if it'll be a property adjacent to the LRT somewhere.

When you say large scale, do you mean like one bigger building or like large scale in terms of potentially multiple buildings.

Ok, I'm conflicted on this one.

A rezoning proposal is going to council May 30 to allow a mid-rise development in Glenora along the path of the LRT on Stony Plain Road and 136 St. It's a good location for more density, and generally I support increased density, particularly in central areas.

But yet again, a home on Edmonton's Inventory of Historic Resources is threatened with demolition. Staff say the Mayhew Residence "possesses heritage value as an early and well preserved example of the homes built during the Post‐war era in south Glenora."

Mayhew Residence.png

In their report, staff say, essentially, the benefits outweigh the cost of a potentially historic home falling to the wrecking ball. The developer doesn't want to keep it, so, sayonara, I guess.

Ok, I'm conflicted on this one.

A rezoning proposal is going to council May 30 to allow a mid-rise development in Glenora along the path of the LRT on Stony Plain Road and 136 St. It's a good location for more density, and generally I support increased density, particularly in central areas.

But yet again, a home on Edmonton's Inventory of Historic Resources is threatened with demolition. Staff say the Mayhew Residence "possesses heritage value as an early and well preserved example of the homes built during the Post‐war era in south Glenora."

View attachment 477209

In their report, staff say, essentially, the benefits outweigh the cost of a potentially historic home falling to the wrecking ball. The developer doesn't want to keep it, so, sayonara, I guess.

As someone who loves post war bungalows, grew up in a post war bungalow, and now lives in a post war bungalow, this should definitely not prevent the proposed development.

Build the mid-rise and give more people somewhere to live.

(It is a very nice bungalow though.)

No educated guesses certainly, but I would love to see one of the Vancouver developers like Westbank out here. Wonder if it'll be a property adjacent to the LRT somewhere.

When you say large scale, do you mean like one bigger building or like large scale in terms of potentially multiple buildings.

Westbank won't be back given their experience with Century Park.

Reference ID:Job No 472060098-002
Description:To construct exterior and interior alterations to a Hotel building (fire restoration)
Plan 5474MC Lots A,B,C
Applicant:BELFOR PROPERTY RESTORATION
Create Date:2023-05-11T13:34:27Z
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

Back