News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Much prefer the old roof at Bathurst and College.

In honour of the recent Royal Visit (Eaton's):

28394_store_huge_flag_1020-1.jpg

Toronto Street Remix - somewhat

4071334454_7c26556317_b.jpg

Since we are on the topic somewhat, I thought I could throw this one in.

Bathurst and College TAN - Looks like a good remix candidate. do you mind?

I've been registered here for a few weeks (since seeing the Star write-up) so I'm a bit late to the party.

This thread doesn't help.

I think I've spent 95% of my time just here, and I'm starting to think I recognize some of the people (My folk, grandparents, etc.) in the pictures.

But great job to everybody responsible, especially Mustapha. This thread is a treasure trove.

Welcome to UT.:)

4071334454_7c26556317_b.jpg

Since we are on the topic somewhat, I thought I could throw this one in.

Bathurst and College TAN - Looks like a good remix candidate. do you mind?

Very nice, Alden.

Bath and Coll remix? Of course we don't mind.:)

Attachments

• 3440c6df-fc9d-456e-9691-65b6a965057c.jpg
    3440c6df-fc9d-456e-9691-65b6a965057c.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 328
Was it sacrificed when the bank was reno'd and added to in the 70s?

Yes. My memory may be failing, but I seem to remember it being designed by the Sankey Partnership, winning some awards and being quite innovative at the time in actually preserving the facade insead of just clearing the site (as was the tendency at the time). I think that if the renovation was done today (by say KPMB), the roof, the cornice and the windows would have been handled much more skillfully. As a side note, wouldn't it be nice if all the focus on energy conservation led to the revival of canvas window awnings (maybe grant a LEED point or two for them?)

As a side note, wouldn't it be nice if all the focus on energy conservation led to the revival of canvas window awnings (maybe grant a LEED point or two for them?)

i thought that very thing when i saw this image on the Lost Toronto thread. i don't suppose anyone wants to go back to a er, world without air conditioning...but still...the irregular arrangement of cloth awnings and open windows add immeasurably to the appeal of these facades...

f1231_it2154-1.jpg

There was such a nice vertical/horizontal play between the boldly stripéd corners and the more ornately detailed central sections of the Canadian Pacific building, before the late '20s reclad. If she'd sported stripéd awnings too she'd have been a flapperishly jazzy gal - a real flibbertigibbet of vo-de-o-do architecture.

Not to mention ladies' fans....
fan2.jpg

Lovely. Ahem, November 14 addition.

Dundas and Elizabeth, NE corner.

That walkup apartment has been there forever. It takes up about 1/2 the block. I've seen it in pictures of this area as far back as 1918. It is still an apartment block. Those large and high bay windows are wonderful.

DSCF2042.jpg

Chinatown_Dragon_Dance_in_1975.jpg

"Streetside Shutterbug"

Interesting column in Friday's Globe & Mail (Nov.13/09) by John Bentley Mays about Patrick Cummins who has "spent the last 30 years cataloging the humble homes of Hogtown."

I wonder if he's a contributor to Urban Toronto.

Scarborough's Golden Mile

Suburban Scarborough certainly changed during the thirty years depicted in these photos (1940-1970).

Now we need a photo to show the most recent changes.

Attachments

• Golden Mile 1940-1970.jpg
    Golden Mile 1940-1970.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 395

Back