News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I gather its real. The Record Title at the Archives is "Unused turnstiles : College and King stations"
It was real all right. Bus and street car tickets were still in use and you couldn't use tokens on the buses because the drivers would accuse you of just dropping in a dime or an out-of-date token from before the last price hike. In other words tokens were often useless for the return journey if it started on a bus or street car.

The last picture was at College and Yonge. Even the university students were standing in line.

Still love the TTC font. Looked cool then...looks cool now. I say bring on $1.00 fare hikes just to maintain the integrity of the TTC fonts.

Still love the TTC font. Looked cool then...looks cool now. I say bring on $1.00 fare hikes just to maintain the integrity of the TTC fonts.

I agree. The replacement of the old vitrolite walls and fonts during the "updating" of the 70's was a dark day (particularly the decision to use colour-blind interior designers).

Bathurst and College remix

4110694161_174eb59024_o.jpg

Very nice, Aladone! Your mixes are really works of art, almost like a "Ghosts of Toronto" series.

I almost missed the bike racks. In some of the older - think no later than the 1920s - 'Then' pictures at the Toronto Archives, you can see bikes parked against the curb, almost as if they were a vehicle.

November 18 addition.

Then: Bay street, looking NE at the SE corner. Two tone Chevy coupe of 58 vintage, I think.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0548.jpg

Now: September 2009.

DSCF2047.jpg

I almost missed the bike racks. In some of the older - think no later than the 1920s - 'Then' pictures at the Toronto Archives, you can see bikes parked against the curb, almost as if they were a vehicle.

November 18 addition.

Then: Bay street, looking NE at the SE corner. Two tone Chevy coupe of 58 vintage, I think.

Now: September 2009.

DSCF2047.jpg

Actually, it's a Buick, identifiable by the row of rosettes resembling those of a leopard.

DSCF2047.jpg
[/QUOTE]

that poor, poor building. from a seedy, noirish little boîte, just up the road from the bus station and the Ford Hotel, and frequented no doubt by a clientele of dames, molls, painted ladies, hoods, hustlers and lost causes, to an 'egg' restaurant?? oh, the indignity...

tzun812l.jpg

that poor, poor building. from a seedy, noirish little boîte, just up the road from the bus station and the Ford Hotel, and frequented no doubt by a clientele of dames, molls, painted ladies, hoods, hustlers and lost causes, to an 'egg' restaurant?? oh, the indignity...

Sort of like Sky Masterson meeting Nathan Detroit for "brunch"?

More good Toronto Then and Now pics...

Deepend:11/17 I recall that the TTC had some of those token machines in the Subway until sometime in the 80s. When I first visited Toronto in 1979
the fare was two tokens for $1 or 60 cents exact cash. Those remaining
machines would sell brass tokens for $1 instead of the aluminum ones sold at cashier booths. They came in three types: The traditional TTC Crest and 60s era specials for Etobicoke and Scarborough. I kept nice examples of all three and I still have them. I inquired for information about these machines and tokens from Transit Toronto and they never replied back to me.
11/18 I noticed myself that it was a late 50s Buick and it turns out Jaborandi noticed also. Those three "rosettes" gave it away...LI MIKE

Chevy in photo

Isn't that a 69/Chevy around the corner, on the left?
Long Island Mike, please confirm.

Attachments

• fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0548.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 311

Back