News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

White tie looks swell, but who - outside of the diplomatic corps - wears it these days? It wasn't specified when the Four Seasons Centre opened, for instance - though of course one made the effort to look as lovely as possible for such a signal evening.

I wonder who these flamboyant bachelors were?

f1257_s1057_it0791.jpg

White tie looks swell, but who - outside of the diplomatic corps - wears it these days? It wasn't specified when the Four Seasons Centre opened, for instance - though of course one made the effort to look as lovely as possible for such a signal evening.

f1257_s1057_it0791.jpg

I don't know who they are but the 3 gentlemen on the right remind me of these celebrities.
Far right, Rick Moranis/ middle, Warren Beatty/ left, David Niven.

f1257_s1057_it0791.jpg

I believe that the dapper gent on the left was E.P.Taylor.

2007_09_11okeefe.jpg

Great quote about opening night reported in Torontoist:

Opening night proved a lengthy affair, with the final curtain falling close to 1 a.m. Show writer Alan Jay Lerner noted in his biography that "only Tristan and Isolde equaled it as a bladder endurance contest." The show was significantly trimmed by the time it hit the Great White Way two months later.

from the Toronto Star - Oct 3, 1960
And to show that Toronto still has a sense of humor there was Rawhide’s appearance, kidding the whole evening. He (Max Ferguson) arrived at the centre in an old fashioned, open, chauffeur-driven limousine. He wore a dreadful blonde wig, with bangs, a white fox cape, a dress which fitted only where it touched, and he was a gloriously ludicrous sight. He played the whole bit dead-pan and the crowd loved it – besieging him for autographs.

She of the flower drum song might be
An Oriental brocade of Turquoise and gold was designed into a theatre ensemble for Mrs. A.M. Winton. The coat was lined with shocking pink.

E.P.Taylor

E.P.Taylor's in this one too.

BTW, his 1500 acre ranch, Windfields Farm,home of Northern Dancer (N. of Oshawa) has recently been sold to a housing developer.

Attachments

• E.P.Taylor.jpg
    E.P.Taylor.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 343
One wonders whether there has been any event within recent memory comparable to the opening of the O'Keefe Centre. It would appear that the stars (so to speak) were aligned for an event that transcended any divisions between the worlds of politics, business, entertainment amd high society. A sophisticated building that was seen as an architectural marvel, a symbol of the new City, hosting the world premiere of a musical by the creators of "My Fair Lady", with international stars (and the homegrown hearthrob Robert Goulet). It must have been like the TIFF, Blue Jays World Series double win, and the opening of ROM, AGO and Four Seasons Centre all rolled into one.

Granted, it was a tighter cultural circle at the time, with less competition to boot. It could pass as an "only game in town" in a way that'd be impossible today...

One wonders whether there has been any event within recent memory comparable to the opening of the O'Keefe Centre. It would appear that the stars (so to speak) were aligned for an event that transcended any divisions between the worlds of politics, business, entertainment amd high society. A sophisticated building that was seen as an architectural marvel, a symbol of the new City, hosting the world premiere of a musical by the creators of "My Fair Lady", with international stars (and the homegrown hearthrob Robert Goulet). It must have been like the TIFF, Blue Jays World Series double win, and the opening of ROM, AGO and Four Seasons Centre all rolled into one.

What’s amazing to me is how old everyone is! Not pejoratively, but strictly by the numbers. There are virtually no people under the age of 30 visible in the photos, with the majority looking to be age 50-ish and over. There is even a very ample representation of people in their 60’s and up. This is an incomprehensible difference from the world we presently inhabit. Not worse necessarily, just profoundly different.

One gets a sense of just how deeply linked this world was to earlier modes of being. The nature of the event, (opening night at the theatre), the obvious social and class distinctions, the pomp, the physical attitudes and style of dress appear to be almost virtually unchanged from a similar type of event that could have happened in 1915.

The utter absence of youthful energy, of high street fashion, of playful sexiness (beyond the obvious exception of Sylvia Murphy), of cheeky irreverence, is a testament to how strictly defined the lines were between pop culture and the world of high culture were in those days—and how quickly it would all change, just three short years from then.

4038262390_09b136a829_o.jpg

What’s amazing to me is how old everyone is! Not pejoratively, but strictly by the numbers. There are virtually no people under the age of 30 visible in the photos, with the majority looking to be age 50-ish and over. There is even a very ample representation of people in their 60’s and up. This is an incomprehensible difference from the world we presently inhabit. Not worse necessarily, just profoundly different.

Well, also, because of how fashion and decorum was, even people in their 40s and 30s could have a way of looking "50-ish or over". (Wayne + Shuster were in their early 40s, for example.)

Back