News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

One wonders whether there has been any event within recent memory comparable to the opening of the O'Keefe Centre. It would appear that the stars (so to speak) were aligned for an event that transcended any divisions between the worlds of politics, business, entertainment amd high society. A sophisticated building that was seen as an architectural marvel, a symbol of the new City, hosting the world premiere of a musical by the creators of "My Fair Lady", with international stars (and the homegrown hearthrob Robert Goulet). It must have been like the TIFF, Blue Jays World Series double win, and the opening of ROM, AGO and Four Seasons Centre all rolled into one.

When Eddie played, he didn't fool around!

Regards,
J T

Granted, it was a tighter cultural circle at the time, with less competition to boot. It could pass as an "only game in town" in a way that'd be impossible today...

167512013_42ae361e92_o.jpg

I think there was also the aspect of the City showing the world it had "arrived". Our perpetual inferiority complex forgotten for at least one night, almost like a mini-Olympics. The eyes of the world (at least the entertainment world) were upon us and we delivered.

Interesting to put it in the context of the new City that was emerging: the competition for the New City Hall had been completed two years previously, construction would begin the following year; in 1962, the Toronto-Dominion Bank would announce that they would build a new headquarters on King Street, leading to the transformation of the Financial District; the same year Ed Mirvish would buy the Royal Alexandra Theatre, leading to the transformation of King Street West.

Mustapha: Here's a view of the side of the O'Keefe Building on Gould, looking towards Yonge, July 28, 1926. (Also just realized the origin of O'Keefe Lane)

gould.jpg

:) Curse you thecharioteer, you give me no rest. :)

Now: November 2009.

DSC_0012-1.jpg

I'm taking a little rest; be back this Sunday.

'

:) Curse you thecharioteer, you give me no rest. :)

Now: November 2009.

DSC_0012-1.jpg

I'm taking a little rest; be back this Sunday.

'

Thanks, Mustapha! I tried to do the "Now" shot on Google and it was almost impossible to find the right angle. Have a good rest; you deserve it.

"Make that at 9 years earlier. The Beatles poster is 1966."

to be clear, and a type A stickler: you are right, poster is from 1966. However, first Beatles album "Meet The Beatles" was released on November 25, 1963--so just a bit over 3 years from opening of O'Keefe...twas this i was referencing...!

BeatlemaniaWiththeBeatlesalbumcover.png

f1257_s1057_it0777.jpg

this one belongs in the Canadian version of August Sander's "People Of The Twentieth Century"!

Spot on with the Sander comparison.

Am I alone in thinking that Mrs. Gardiner is telling Fred to use the smile he's been practicing?

"Yes, that's it Freddy, show them the smile we've been working on"

Max Ferguson in drag

Ummm... is this Toronto's first Gay Pride Parade?

Toronto's First Drag Queen?

Yikes :s

Someone previously identified this "beauty" as Max Ferguson and that seems reasonable. He was the CBC's 'Rick Mercer' of the day.

Back