News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I'm so pleased that my recently discovered slide of an old safe surrounded by rubble has generated a wonderful history lesson. Thanks to all participants. But, after all, that's what this site is all about!
Here's another angle on the safe:

The graphics on that safe is a work of art. My gramps had a safe, now at my dads, purchased in 1926. The Mustapha family safe was made in Rochester but I wonder if that Rosenthal safe was made here in Toronto:

http://www.lostrivers.ca/points/daviestaylor.htm

A minor factoid; most safes aren't solid steel; they are a steel sandwich - concrete is inside the outer and inner steel panels. This makes them fire resistant.

"I undestand such a camp was located at the bottom of Pottery Rd." QUOTE. Goldie

I didn't find any Pottery Road in my 1918 Might's Directory, but Abraham Rosenthal

was doing business at 125 King West and living at 295 St George St!

Regards,
J T

Would be cool if A Rosenthal descendants could read this thread and provide more info...

I'm not so surprised--it doesn't look like the store wasn't *that* small. Though signs like that on retail that "modest" were more likely to survive until recent times in places like Hamilton or Montreal. (Seems like Toronto was one of the biggest victims of plastic-backlit mainstreet-retail signage tyranny in the 70s.)

I wonder how much of a positive impression todays even worse plastic banner signage has on the purchasing public. Let's say you open a business - remodel, nice fixtures, inventory it up and wait for foot traffic. There is a plastic banner outside - the kind with the grommet holes in the corners - advertising your establishment to all and sundry. To me, it says they aren't in it for the customer long haul; like those roving McGregor sock outlets. Which have nice socks at great prices by the way.:)

Some of the University avenue hospitals have banner signs up in some sort of permanence - advertising a donor's new wing. When the wind hits them they flap around a bit.

December 29 addition.

Then: St Clair avenue west. More of the sign makers art. Don't know the date of this one. Some sort of English made Ford product parked there I think.

1224stclairw.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSC_0021-1.jpg

"I wonder if that Rosenthal safe was made here in Toronto:" QUOTE. Mustapha.

Goldie & McCulloch, made in Galt, Ontario. (was also a major in the industy)

Regards,
J T

PS That British Ford is a Vauxhall.

Ford Consol perhaps?

Could very well be! I was looking at the chrome concave front fender "slash",

and remembering "Vauxhall"! (the "word trim", athough unreadable, is better

as "Consul".)

Regards,
J T

I was rong once; I thought I was rong! (ROTFLMAO)

The Mustapha family safe was made in Rochester but I wonder if that Rosenthal safe was made here in Toronto:

http://www.lostrivers.ca/points/daviestaylor.htm /QUOTE]

It is maybe of interest to note that the J & J Taylor Safe Company and their wharf were recently recognised by the City when a laneway, running between Frederick Street and George Street South just south of Front Street, was named Taylor's Wharf Lane. Councillor Pam McConnell unveiled the signs a week or so before Christmas!

"...Could very well be! I was looking at the chrome concave front fender "slash", and remembering "Vauxhall"! (the "word trim", athough unreadable, is better as "Consul"..."

No, you were right - it's a 1960 Vauxhall, the fender badge reads "Victor". The pic is probably 1962 or '64 from the white licence plate.

Stumack

"...Could very well be! I was looking at the chrome concave front fender "slash", and remembering "Vauxhall"! (the "word trim", athough unreadable, is better as "Consul"..."

No, you were right - it's a 1960 Vauxhall, the fender badge reads "Victor". The pic is probably 1962 or '64 from the white licence plate.

Stumack

SO!

I WAS RONG about being write when I was rong! (what a dwong!)

Regourds,
T J

December 29 addition.

Then: St Clair avenue west. More of the sign makers art. Don't know the date of this one. Some sort of English made Ford product parked there I think.

1224stclairw.jpg

DSC_0021-1.jpg

Another excuse to swear at the Botox effect of EIFS--even if it's, in effect, a re-re-fronting. (Interesting to note that the pot-lights in the eaves from the earlier refronting seem to remain intact. And the BMO's more unchanged than one might superficially assume--right down to the stair railing inside.)

Flatiron Bldg

Redroom Studios' magnificent senset photo of the Flatiron Building goes well with this oldie:

Attachments

• Flatiron by Redroom Studios.jpg
    Flatiron by Redroom Studios.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 487
Another excuse to swear at the Botox effect of EIFS--even if it's, in effect, a re-re-fronting. (Interesting to note that the pot-lights in the eaves from the earlier refronting seem to remain intact. And the BMO's more unchanged than one might superficially assume--right down to the stair railing inside.)

The eave potlights struck me as surprisingly modern too. Of course you see them on the better sort of houses now.:)

December 30 addition.

Bay street looking SE from the NW corner of Louisa. A rather grand old girl; that Eatons Annex building in the center of the photo.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0767.jpg

CSC_0058.jpg

Bay street looking SE from the NW corner of Louisa. A rather grand old girl; that Eatons Annex building in the center of the photo.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0767.jpg

Nice find Mustapha…i hadn't seen this before. i would have thought that the west side of Bay would have also been built up--i'm surprised to see such a big vacant lot there. in any case, it allowed the photographer to get a nice big wide shot of that building….

Plowing on Nate Phillips Square

Nice find Mustapha…i hadn't seen this before. i would have thought that the west side of Bay would have also been built up--i'm surprised to see such a big vacant lot there. in any case, it allowed the photographer to get a nice big wide shot of that building….

Here's another view (1918) of the vacant space near Old City Hall - west side of Bay.
Cars are on Albert St.

Attachments

• Bay Albert old city hall 1918 William James.jpg
    Bay Albert old city hall 1918 William James.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 470

Back