News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The archives on Spadina is a dangerously addictive place. I started out researching my house, and ended up doing basic genealogy.

Jan 22 addition

Old houses on Simcoe. SW Corner at Dundas. Looking W. Documented prior to demolition for widening of Dundas.

fo1231_f1231_it1706.jpg

DSCF0138.jpg

Would that be the Dow Brewery on the right of the old photo?

I'll say possibly yes. The old O'Keefe brewery was located on Simcoe Street (condos are there now) but it was a 40s vintage building. I remember as a boy that about 1/2 this block was taken up by this brewery. O'Keefe superceded Dow so, yes, it's probably the Dow brewery.

Last edited:
You know, I never thought of what was there before Eaton Centre. If you or anyone has more photos of what was there before, that would be awesome!
Having Eaton Centre behind those facades would have been very cool.

One more that I found showing a bit of the s/w corner of Queen & Yonge, looks like mid 1970's. The Elgin Theatre (aka Loew's) was the Yonge Theatre at that time.

Yonge.jpg

I've still got some snaps of my OCA friend Richard and I, taken in the passport booth in the basement of that Woolworth store in the summer of 1974.

Thanks dt_toronto_geek,

The Diana Sweets restaurant to the south of the Loews has some memories for me - a great bakery section with takeaway cakes - this location closed about 1995. The Diana Sweets in Scarborough Town Centre closed a couple years ago, among the last of the old school Toronto restaurants that had their origins in the 20s, 30's or 40s.

What's left?

Arcadian Court

Fran's

Shopsy's

China House

House of Chan

Blossom (on Wilson Avenue)

Have I missed anything?

Duckworth's!

Had to Google this, I'd forgotten the name and deep fried association.:) But I've never been.:eek:

There was a chip place on Queen, south side, between Wineva and Leuty, years ago, gone now. Black and white tile exterior from the 30s. Lineups all the time, wonder why they couldn't keep it going.

There are some similarly interesting shots ( and architectural renderings ) from the early 1900s - showing the Dundas and McCaul environs - in the Works on Paper gallery 141 at the AGO.

^^^^ WHAAAAAT?!?!?! That has got to be the STUPIDEST decision by the city in the history of...the city!!

How? TGH moved out as early as 1913, and its buildings were gone within a decade, as you can tell by the houses that replaced them. From the POV of superior, state-of-the-art health care a century ago, it was anything but a stupid decision...

Back