News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

GOOD GOD! That is probably the most shocking, the most abhorrent "Toronto Then & Now" I have seen. What a tragedy.

Sorry, jswag, it can't compare to what happened to College and Spadina:

tabenacle.jpg

collegespadina.jpg

Though actually, the shocking/abhorrent is mitigated in both cases--w/College & Spadina, it's a decent corner-filler Deco commercial building, w/ Queen & Broadview, it's a decent 60s modern branch bank (by Bruce Etherington?), and in both cases it isn't like the old wasn't "naturally" expendable at their particular moments. Maybe what mucks up the picture is the 7-11/Tim's banality in one case, the Real Jerk retrofit overkill in the other...

A comparison of views looking east along Finch Avenue from Page Avenue towards the bridge over the East Don River and Leslie Street; 1960, 2010. Top image photographed by Ted Chirnside.

4283455416_75dbb4cd2f_b.jpg

I've noticed this a few times in the past month: the forests of North Toronto used to be somewhat transition zone-Boreal, and the current canopy is fairly evenly Temperate Deciduous. This is probably due to deliberate planting practices, but still, it makes the area look warmer.

Any "change in status" re the Bayview bridge might relate to the property being IIRC co-opted by Glendon College not long after; and I think it still remained technically a "vehicular access" maybe even into the 80s or 90s...

Oh, I think service vehicles can still access it and use it, and from what I've seen the times I've been there, routinely do... I meant a something still in use by the average guy trying to drive around town. We're fortunate they didn't bother to remove it, because other superseded bridges have gone by the boards... Lawrence at the East Don and old old Albion Road (Flindon Road) bridge spring to mind. Oh, and as previously mentioned by someone else, Old Dundas Street bridge on the Humber. I'd prefer they left things like that and simply closed them to vehicles but left them open to pedestrians, like they have with Old Cummer Avenue bridge and the newer old Albion Road bridge. :)

But yeah, old Bayview bridge is part of the campus and is routinely fenced off along the end of Lawrence. The last time I was there I actually had to climb down the bank and wade down the river to get to it; it was the easist way! But it looks like people up on the heights use it to exercise Fido so I wouldn't be surprised if by now someone has engineered another ad hoc access, bending a link in the fence here and there. :)

Taken from the Don, facing west (towards the new bridge); infrared four-photo pano assembled by AutoStitch and tinted in Photoshop in post-processing. Hoping this spring to take a shot matching one taken by Ted Chirnside in the 1950s from than bank just to my right in this view.

1572178950_973c22d0b0_b.jpg

You can easily see this bridge, by the way, from east side of the current Bayview Avenue bridge north of Lawrence in the winter when the foliage doesn't disrupt the view:

2096944308_bfe630bab9_b.jpg

Last edited:
Though actually, the shocking/abhorrent is mitigated in both cases--w/College & Spadina, it's a decent corner-filler Deco commercial building, w/ Queen & Broadview, it's a decent 60s modern branch bank (by Bruce Etherington?), and in both cases it isn't like the old wasn't "naturally" expendable at their particular moments. Maybe what mucks up the picture is the 7-11/Tim's banality in one case, the Real Jerk retrofit overkill in the other...

I think you're right, something about the smiling sun (whose rays look more like threatening arms) is quite disturbing in this context.

Speaking of Bridges, does anyone know what happened to the Queen Street Subway bridge. I know there is construction going on the whole intersection but the bridge specifically that was the Queen Street subway is gone. I hope they are planning to put it back. The 1893 sign to the bridge now gets lots of sunlight but it sucks that the bridge is gone! Anyone?

4384421397_e27b2c8347_o.jpg

Another set of public toilets in the then shot.

Correct. Those are the ventilator shafts, I suppose. Several "underground public conveniences" still exist in London UK. Many date back to the last century.

nice dreamy wide angle look to this shot; i like the desaturated colours--it looks quite magical...

Lone Primate: You waded to get this? :) Atmospheric picture, thanks.

February 25 addition.

Then: Dundas looking E twards Yonge. 1980?-ish.

f0124_fl0008_id0195.jpg

Now: December 2009.

DSC_0044.jpg

Lone Primate: You waded to get this? :) Atmospheric picture, thanks.

Yeah, the Don's only about 2' deep there; anyone in shorts can manage it. Sandy bottom for the most part. And it helps to do it in summertime. :D

Hey, I remember shopping at that jeans store in the mid-90s. Holy God, is that what the corner used to look like on the west side? It's unrecognizable. You can see SKY! :D

nice dreamy wide angle look to this shot; i like the desaturated colours--it looks quite magical...

Thanks -- it's infrared, so it's B&W to start with. The trees all come out looking like cotton candy. It's a piece of cake to apply a tint to the lighter elements in Photoshop and just mask out the one or two areas that it shouldn't apply to. It's a lot of fun. :)

Back