News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

April 27 addition.

Then. College looking E from Grace. August 12 1936.

s0071_it11506.jpg

Now. March 2010.

CSC_0026-1.jpg

So basically, a church (maybe), and the small building to the right of it was knocked down for the CHIN building.

Oh well, less religious sites, more Radio stations!

Also, I wish Streetcar Track construction was done in the '20s-'50s method. It may be slower, but the streetcars would be still running on that street, preventing the need for a detour!

Last edited:
Interesting how they added bypass tracks back in the day when they replaced the existing track. When did they stop this process?

I believe they stopped when the big machinery came into play. Agram, if you read this, can you please give us the reason since you work for the TTC.

Most of the traffic consists of automobiles now also so..

Then again, they closed most of Roncesvalles southbound for like over 1/2 a year, why couldn't they put temporary track in that area? It could keep business running and the 504 streetcar could run into Dundas West Station even during the construction. >_> Killing the tracks on Roncesvalles makes only Bathurst and Spadina the quickest way to Roncesvalles Carhouse..

Last edited:
So basically, a church (maybe), and the small building to the right of it was knocked down for the CHIN building.

Also, I wish Streetcar Track construction was done in the '20s-'50s method. It may be slower, but the streetcars would be still running on that street, preventing the need for a detour!

That tiny one story shop to the left/west of the CHIN building is still there too.

They still use temporary by-pass tracks in other places, e.g. Amsterdam, I bet the reason the TTC stopped is $$$.

Don't get me going about Amsterdam. The separarate lanes for bikes, pedestrians, and everything else - cars and streetcars - is something to behold; and it all works together.

April 28 addtion.

Then. Albert street looking E towards Yonge. January 29 1927.

s0071_it4702.jpg

Now. April 26 2010. Hey... let's go check out what's happenin today inside the Eaton Centre.

DSC_0207.jpg

What's this? Guide Dogs - in training - on parade.

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

This little guy is only 9 weeks old.

DSC_0208.jpg

April 22 addition.

Then. St Clair lookjng E from Wells Hill. May 17, 1931.

stclairlookingefromwellshill.jpg

Now: Not quite the same location as the original photographer. This is one busy Loblaws on this March Saturday afternoon and St. Clair was one busy roadway.

CSC_0009-1.jpg

With the original bridge you get the sense of the magnificent Castlefrank Creek flowing underneath, as it once did in both the Cedarvale ravine just to the north; and in the Nordheimer Ravine just to the south..........this is the same creek that once ran through what is now Ramsden Park and along the Rosedale Valley before joining the Don River.

Its loss is lamentable. We didn't lose the Cedarvale Part till the late '60s or so in preparation for the Spadina Expressway which was to run right through that valley, in fact through what is now the Loblaws!

One other note, lovely street lights, lovely bridge railings. Sigh, road engineers with taste! LOL

April 27 addition.

Then. College looking E from Grace. August 12 1936.

s0071_it11506.jpg

Now. March 2010.

CSC_0026-1.jpg

I didn't realize Toronto had done the by-pass track thing before.

I suggested it on Steve Munro's website (and directly to the TTC) as a way of addressing the bunching/gapping problems.

I was left with the impressing it was wishful thinking and not do-able on Toronto roads.

Hmmmm

Thanks Mustapha, great find!

Looks more like some kind of hall or arena or stable than a church. (And prior to the present CHIN building, do I remember that arched roof still existing behind whatever crud? Someone please clarify...)

Might's Toronto City Directory - 1933.
618 - 624 COLLEGE STREET.
WELSH MOTORS LTD.
Chas. Welsh, President.
'phone MI 4655 & MI 4656.
No entry 1944 Bell Telephone. (out of business)

Regards, J T

So, it was a car dealership. Thanks JT. :)

April 29 addition.

Then. Ocean House hotel. September 17, 1914. SE corner of Queen and Roncesvalles.

oceanhousehotelsep171914.jpg

Now. March 2010.

CSC_0016-3.jpg

At some point, the owners of the hotel building replaced the mansard roof and used shingle designs similar to the original. I think the current owners do not care as much: Coffee Time tenants tend to be harbingers of a building's end stage.

I didn't realize Toronto had done the by-pass track thing before.

I suggested it on Steve Munro's website (and directly to the TTC) as a way of addressing the bunching/gapping problems.

I was left with the impressing it was wishful thinking and not do-able on Toronto roads.

Hmmmm

Thanks Mustapha, great find!

Northern Light.. did Steve Munro say specifically why? Even one reason would have been interesting to hear. Now I'm curious. I wonder if the modern streetcars are too heavy for bypass trackage. Just a thought.

Oh, and you are most welcome - the archives keep adding new material so it's not hard finding discussion worthy pictures. :)

April 30 addition.

Then Hillcrest school. Bathurst street. 1909.

f1244_it1710.jpg

Now. Looking good, minus the 'hat'.

CSC_0011-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back