News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Then: June 14th 1974 according to the board leaning against the pole. The summer of Watergate.

haha, just kidding my fellow UTers; a little leg pull. :) I think I'lll do a "Waldo search" theme in an upcoming picture...

April 22 addition.

Then. St Clair lookjng E from Wells Hill. May 17, 1931.

stclairlookingefromwellshill.jpg

Now: Not quite the same location as the original photographer. This is one busy Loblaws on this March Saturday afternoon and St. Clair was one busy roadway.

CSC_0009-1.jpg

They built the rickety railroad bridge, then unloaded train fulls of fill:

f1244_it5047.jpg

f1244_it5048.jpg

If that "rickety railroad bridge" is actually burried under landfill, what happens when the wood rots?
Will we have a collapsed roadway?

If that "rickety railroad bridge" is actually burried under landfill, what happens when the wood rots?
Will we have a collapsed roadway?

Isn't the bulk of the route of the wooden bridge where the streetcar tracks now descend under St Clair to service the St Clair W station?

Besides, I wouldn't see how those bridge timbers would be so essential to the structure of the road fill given the extensive underground structures (sewers, pedestrian tunnel, etc) and roadbed that is probably twice as wide as what they originally constructed.

Build a trestle first and fill it in later was a very common method of solving differences of elevation in a railway line all over the world prior to the invention of earth moving machinery ie: bulldozers.

April 23 addition.

Then. Lane just E of Spadina looking N from Dundas. June 23, 1922.

s0372_ss0058_it1007.jpg

Now. April 21, 2010.

DSC_0179.jpg

April 23 addition.

Obviously an interesting corner!

Here's a photo from 1915ish, of "Dr. Henry H. Moorhouse's residence" at the NE corner:
f1244_it0295.jpg

Then we have the building that takes up the whole corner, which I assume was a theatre? Here's a great photo from June 12, 1930:
s0372_ss0058_it1232a.jpg

Angled parking for the cars, sign in Hebrew and the Star of David, weighing machine, 8.5 hour film service, and Ex-lax, for young and old!

Finally, the north side of that building on the corner, in 1968 - not sure if the Burlesque movies were in Hebrew, but Shopsy's wasn't far. Nor were narrow ties, and finally not all the cars were black.
s0648_fl0246_id0005.jpg

Last edited:
4/22 Mustapha: St.Clair/Wells Hill - I noticed the LRT ROW modernized with an underpass and those strange light bracket types-are those wood,steel or concrete poles
4/24 Mustapha: College/Clinton - Both pictures are quite similar with one large noteable exception...
4/23 Artless above: The first pic of the Moorehouse Residence reminds me of the houses in the 60s sitcoms "The Addams Family" or "The Munsters" for some reason...that is quite a house!
The second pic has that big Toledo scale-it's a classic in itself!
The third pic from 1968 has some classic autos from that era and before-like the Chevrolet Corvair and 1957 Chevy Nomad noted on the street along with mostly GM and Ford cars parked behind along with a CN maintenance or delivery truck. The CN logo itself is a 60s classic...
Again there is more new pics here and again there is just too much for me to mention again!
LI MIKE

Last edited:
seemsartless: "burlesque movies in Hebrew" - we have a Wisenheimer in our midst. :) Just kidding. Please pitch this to Mel Brooks.

LI MIKE: Those poles are concrete.

April 25 addition.

Then: College at Grace looking W. August 8, 1936.

s0071_it11494.jpg

Now: April 21, 2010.

CSC_0025-1.jpg

Obviously an interesting corner!

Then we have the building that takes up the whole corner, which I assume was a theatre? Here's a great photo from June 12, 1930:
s0372_ss0058_it1232a.jpg

Angled parking for the cars, sign in Hebrew and the Star of David, weighing machine, 8.5 hour film service, and Ex-lax, for young and old!

:) April 21, 2010.

DSC_0181.jpg

The Yiddish sign actually says that it is the Standard Theatre, described in Wikipedia as follows:

"The Standard Theatre was a theatre in Toronto that originated as the city's main venue for Yiddish theatre, and later became the Victory Burlesque, the only burlesque theatre in Toronto. It was located at the corner of Spadina Avenue and Dundas Street.

The theatre consist of a single stadium seating screen and concession area selling snacks. Stairs from the street level on Spadina took moviegoers to the screen.

The building was originally erected in 1921 as the Standard Theatre, a venue for live action Yiddish theatre. It was designed by Benjamin Brown, one of the city's first Jewish architects, and financed by the large Jewish community of Kensington Market. The theatre was home to a large number of productions of classic Yiddish works, comedy, and translations such as Shakespeare in Yiddish. It was also a centre of Jewish left-wing political activism. The centre for the activities of the Progressive Arts Club. In 1929 an event commemorating the death of Vladimir Lenin was raided by police. It remained a centre of Toronto's Jewish community until 1935 when the building was converted into a mainstream movie cinema known as The Strand.

In 1945 the cinema became the Victory Burlesque. For almost three decades the Victory was the only location in Toronto where one could observe a striptease, though laws prevented complete nudity. It became an iconic destination in the city, especially for students from the nearby University of Toronto. Facing competition from adult theaters and modern strip clubs it closed in 1975.

The Jewish community had left the area, and Dundas and Spadina was now the centre of Toronto's Chinatown. The Victory was thus converted into a Chinese language cinema, first named the Golden Harvest and then the Mandarin. This cinema also closed, and the building was renovated and is home to a number of retail stores.

The former ticket office is gone and the newer stair case to the upper levels is now a retail area."

Last edited:

Back