News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

O RLY? I must have read it wrong then... Thanks for corrections.

Your welcome, even if my effort was inadvertent. :)

May 28 addition. Queen at Jones looking W. April 5, 1934.

s0071_it10224.jpg

Now. March 2010.

CSC_0055-1.jpg

Great pics, I wonder what was in place of Leslie Grove park (the fenced in area to the right) back then

A Leslie property, although this article does not state wheter it was still a working property by the time of our photo.

http://www.heritagetoronto.org/discover-toronto/photos/george-leslie

May 29 addition.

Then. Queen (again) looking W from Sumach street. April 5, 1934 (again).

s0071_it10215.jpg

Now. March 2010. There are more of those old fashioned style streetlights like we saw in Goldies post a few days ago.

CSC_0056.jpg

A four-lane streetcar line! Imagine what could Eglinton and Sheppard look like have these alikes have implmented in surface routes.

A four-lane streetcar line! Imagine what could Eglinton and Sheppard look like have these alikes have implmented in surface routes.

The inner tracks could be Express. The outer would be Local. We can only dream. :)

May 31 addition.

Our beloved Toronto Island Ferry Trillium. Launched June 18, 1910 from Toronto's waterfront Polson Iron Works. She was retired and left unattended in a Toronto Island lagoon until she was extensively rebuilt; re-entering service in 1976.

Her 100th birthday is coming up. :) She was looking very spruce today, May 29, 2010.

f1244_it0261.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

She is the largest steam driven paddle wheel vessel in service on the Great Lakes.

DSC_0083.jpg

Let's go aboard for a look.

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

"Steam Punk" :)

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

Up to the "Wheel House".

The old fashioned looking lifeboats and "davits" are nonoperable; and are for "looks". She carries enough life jackets (and some inflatable rafts) for her rated passenger capacity.

CSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

Wonderful how the compass is oriented towards Danforth Avenue. :)

DSC_0065.jpg

Her birthplace, Polson Iron Works. On the left of this picture can be seen St. Lawrence Market. In the lower middle can be seen the Gooderham ("Flatiron") building. Right in the middle of the picture can be seen a large metal cylinder lying against a dock. We'll come back to that in a moment.

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

Trillium is the largest of the four ferries plying the Toronto to Toronto Island route. Here is her smaller sister the William Inglis. The William Inglis was built by the Toronto Dry Dock Company (which was wound up in 1964).

s0071_it11122.jpg

May 29, 2010.

DSC_0082.jpg

And the Polson Works would build to order or speculation. I'm guessing that the cylindrical object in the photo is Knapp's Boat. More here:

http://www.heritagetoronto.org/discover-toronto/photos/knapps-roller-boat

Much more here about our Trillium:

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/acquisitions_fonds233_dgchampion.htm

'Ta.

What a great set of photos, Mustapha. makes me want to head down to the docks! Here are a few more from the Trillium's era:

MHGL00547f-1.jpg

MHGL00152f.jpg

MHGL00110f.jpg

EXT01333f.jpg

EXT01358f.jpg

EXT01359f.jpg

MHGL01470f.jpg

thecharioteer, you bested me; I had only the one vintage postcard in my post. :)

The Yonge Wharf... visitors alighting from their ships must have been impressed. Those few blocks of Yonge are still canyon like; and the transition from Deck to Metropolis must have been emotional for some visitors.

June 1 addition.

Then. "Winchester street". "1910?" "Near Riverdale Zoo", it says. So that's where I went to take the Now pic. Can't be certain of the exact location, but there you go. :)

f1244_it7172.jpg

Now.

CSC_0058-1.jpg

Remix

may 29 addition.

Then. Queen (again) looking w from sumach street. April 5, 1934 (again).

Now. March 2010. There are more of those old fashioned style streetlights like we saw in goldies post a few days ago.

4656393215_329b74ac92_b.jpg

Last edited:

"The Garden City was built at Toronto in 1892, by the Doty Company, in their yard at the foot of Bathurst street. She was intended ... by her owners to ply from Toronto to St. Catharines, and she did so for the remainder of that year."

""GARDEN CITY " First Passenger Boat to Toronto:

Navigation service between Port Dalhousie and Toronto commenced on July 1st, 1893, with the paddle wheel steamer ''GARDEN CITY" maKing her maiden voyage between Toronto and St .Catharines, via the old Welland Canal, docking by Lock 2. The steamer was built in 1892 for a company formed by fruit growers of the Niagara Peninsula. These owners finally got into difficulties and sold the steamer to James Nihan of St. Catharines, who transferred her to service between Buffalo and Crystal Beach. While on the latter route she contracted a coal bill which her owner could not pay, and to avoid attachment and seizure the ship was run out of Buffalo by her crew "under cover of night " and restored to service between Toronto and St. Catharines, until her purchase in 1901 by the St. Catharines and Niagara Central Railway when Port Dalhousie waa made the terminus."

"On August 3, 1915, Garden City could not complete her run across the lake. A terrible summer storm battered the vessel and windows were smashed and the hull holed. Still, Garden City was fortunate for the same storm destroyed the Alexandria off the Scarborough Bluffs [My emphasis], east of Toronto. Garden City later ran out of Toronto to Whitby, Newcastle and Port Hope. In the early 1920's she went to Montreal for service to King Edward Park and later St. Helen's Island. The depression ended her usefulness and late in 1936 she was towed to Sorel, Quebec and there the hull was broken up."

Source: http://www.portmemories.com/steamers.htm

Steamer Alexandria lying off Scarbourough Bluffs.

f1244_it0238a.jpg

Last edited:

Strangely nothing much has happened along these few blocks except for a slap of paint. :)

June 2 addition.

The eastern terminus of Winchester, where it came out of the Don Valley. It's now an entrance ramp for the Don Valley Parkway.

Then. September 12, 1919. My gramps had been in Toronto a year. He was working in his dad's laundry on Broadview which was just behind the photographer.

s0372_ss0052_it0783.jpg

Now. April 2010. I couldn't get the elevation of the Then pic; so I substituted a couple of Now pics.

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

The Bank-like building that was located where the Pizza Pizza is now can be found in several Toronto Archive views under search term "Broadview Danforth". In one of the views the word "Metropolitan" can be made out on the building; I'm guessing that it was a branch of The Metropolitan Bank, which merged with The Bank of Nova Scotia in 1914. Why the signage is still up that long after the merger is another mystery.

June 2 addition.

The eastern terminus of Winchester, where it came out of the Don Valley. It's now an entrance ramp for the Don Valley Parkway.

Then. September 12, 1919. My gramps had been in Toronto a year. He was working in his dad's laundry on Broadview which was just behind the photographer.

s0372_ss0052_it0783.jpg

Now. April 2010. I couldn't get the elevation of the Then pic; so I substituted a couple of Now pics.

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

The Bank-like building that was located where the Pizza Pizza is now can be found in several Toronto Archive views under search term "Broadview Danforth". In one of the views the word "Metropolitan" can be made out on the building; I'm guessing that it was a branch of The Metropolitan Bank, which merged with The Bank of Nova Scotia in 1914. Why the signage is still up that long after the merger is another mystery.

fantastic now and then--so interesting! the "Prince Edward Viaduct Public Lavatory" at 55 Danforth Ave, to the right of the viaduct entrance, was constructed just a few years later, in 1921. it was shuttered in 1988, and reopened in recent years as a small French school....

f5ef4533.gif

4d130614.jpg

0d598aac.jpg

1db18dba.jpg

Last edited:

Hey! There is our former Metropolitan Bank now with Bank of Nova Scotia signage. Thanks the deepend.

And to bring up a line of thought that adma cleaves to on occasion, I am betting that the old bank is underneath the Pizza Pizza, uhm, renovation. :) The footprint of the old bank in the pics looks like the modern footprint of the Pizza Pizza.

June 3 addition.

Then. Yonge and College SW corner. My gramps told me that many people made a real estate killing when the Eaton family assembled this block to build what you see now - the former Eaton's College street store.

f1244_it0500.jpg

Now. April 2010.

DSC_0164.jpg

This building has been the subject of much writing. A quick summary: Built 1928 - 30. There was to have been a 38 story office tower rising from the centre but the depression kiboshed that. The Eaton's store closed in 1977 with the opening of the Eaton Centre store at Dundas street.

Back