News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's always a pleasure finding a new picture of an interesting lost building. I think we've all seen the Micklethwaite picture of the flamboyant High-Victorian building that once stood on the SW corner of Adelaide and Church:

f1478_it0008.jpg

Here's another shot from the Star Archives, along with caption:

adelaide1914.jpg

Caption: 1983 caption: Varied transportation: Horse-drawn wagons, bicycles and motor vehicles shared parking space beside the St. James building, Church and Adelaide Sts., in 1914. The building was a busy place with tenants that included Pioneer Land and Building Co., lawyers and realtors. One sign even advertised box lunches. Last Published: 12/18/1983
Release: NOT RELEASED
Photographer: William James/GetStock.com

Finally, a view of it from the west, just to the left of what I believe was EJ Lennox's Freehold Loan and Savings Building (which stood on the NW corner of Adelaide & Victoria):

2125522911_86eaeb6afc_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a bit lost looking at this photo. What is the street with the building where something cost $25? What cost $25, or was it 25 cents? What were the silos in the immediate foreground for? What is BOYSHFORM trying to sell? Where was Christie's Biscuits located then? When was then?
What an intriguing picture. Something keeps telling me it is very close to the Sears warehouse/mail order building of the late 50s/early 60s which was surrounded by parking lots.

I'm a bit lost looking at this photo. What is the street with the building where something cost $25? What cost $25, or was it 25 cents? What were the silos in the immediate foreground for? What is BOYSHFORM trying to sell? Where was Christie's Biscuits located then? When was then?
What an intriguing picture. Something keeps telling me it is very close to the Sears warehouse/mail order building of the late 50s/early 60s which was surrounded by parking lots.

It is a great picture with its layers of buildings. It's taken somehere NW of Yonge and Temperance and the building with the $25 sign is the old Arcade Building on Yonge. To its south is the Lumsden Building. The Beaux-Arts office building is 36 Toronto Street and behind it is the spire of St. James. To its left is the Beard Building, EJ Lennox's early office building at King and Jarvis. Christie's is now George Brown on King East.

I'm a bit lost looking at this photo. What is the street with the building where something cost $25? What cost $25, or was it 25 cents?

The old Arcade at Yonge across from Temperance. Don't know what cost $25.

What were the silos in the immediate foreground for?

I think the silos are water towers (in case of fire?)

What is BOYSHFORM trying to sell?

Brassieres! They took credit for inventing the flattened-breast look (a good look).

Where was Christie's Biscuits located then?

Duke & Frederick. But this picture looks like it was taken from King & Frederick looking northwest because that looks like Campbell House in the background.
f1231_it1426.jpg

When was then?
1912 - "View from the Temple Building, Richmond and Bay streets, looking southeast- Arcade in centre, King and Yonge far right, Temperance Street and Ryrie Birks lower right."

For those of us who like Romanesque Revival (and the sentiment is not universal on this forum), the demolition of Lennox's Freehold Loan and Savings Building, on the NW corner of Adelaide and Victoria, was a big loss:

v2n12plate2a.gif

EJ Lennox in front of the building:
781px-E_J__Lennox_and_the_Freehold_Loan_Building.jpg

v2n12plate2b.gif

old_Loan_and_Savings_Co__Adelaide_and_Victoria_Streets_Temple_Building_Bay_and_Richmond_Streets_Confederation_Life_Building_Yonge_and_Richmo.jpg

Post_Office_Adelaide_Street_Toronto_Canada.jpg

s0372_ss0058_it0053.jpg

f1244_it7330.jpg

adelaidevictoria2.jpg

adelaidevictoria.jpg

Last edited:

I think the Archives might be a little off on that date; the Excelsior Life Building at 36 Toronto is visible here, and that was completed in 1914.

As for the $25, I think that may have been the price of a made-to-measure suit or overcoat from Scotland Woolen Mills.

Last edited:
Considering how long Freehold survived (into the early 60s? was it demolished after Sun Life moved to the Parkin building on University?), it's incredible how unsung it is, esp. given its pedigree--then again, Eric Arthur was still struggling with the "late Victorian" problem during No Mean City's gestation...

Another 'Then & Now' web site

Some may not be aware of this "Then & Now" site on Flickr.
I discovered it only today. Quite interesting.
It's at: http://www.flickr.com/groups/thenandnow/pool/page6/
There are plenty of images, although I discovered none of Toronto. However I didn't do an extensive search.
This one (thumbnail) and many others depict Vancouver:

Attachments

• Vancouver.jpg
    Vancouver.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 383
August 27 addition.

I went to the CNE on Wednesday and looked at the display of CNE Archives materials. It's in the Direct Energy Centre. Here's a bit of what I saw.

DSC_0640.jpg

DSC_0641.jpg

DSC_0642.jpg

DSC_0644.jpg

DSC_0645.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0647.jpg

DSC_0649.jpg

DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0650.jpg

Back