News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

s0372_ss0033b_it0298.jpg

Now. General area of Lovatt Place. August 21, 2010.

DSC_0580.jpg

Why are the pictures not showing? Server down?

1902--the first of G.W. Gouinlock's Beaux-Arts pavilion extravaganzas. Burnt in 1961.

Thank you adma.

The CNE sure has a long history of buildings lost by fire. This one. The Transportation building above. The Music building was a near run thing.

A complete list here:

http://www.cnearchives.com/q3.htm#14

September 4 addition.

Then. "Don Campbell outside Exhibition Stadium ca 1959". [I wonder who he was? He's the man on the left (he appears in other CNE related photos]

This is the last Exhibition Stadium / Grandstand - the fourth on the site and the one many of us remember. It was demolished in 1999.

DonCampbelloutsideExhibhibitionstadiumca1959.jpg

Now. August 24, 2010.

DSC_1903.jpg

I have to admit, all these CNE pics have piqued my interest...

I think I'm finally going to go tonight!

I've been intrigued by some of the details in these two images taken only two years apart.
The skyline has sprouted the 2 famous landmarks that were prominant for many years.
The introduction of the raised railroad embankment is evident and certainly changed our Toronto traffic patterns.
What's that building in the foreground that was about to be demolished in 1930?
Finally, who has access to the same location to provide us with a "Now" image?

TorontoskylinefromHarbourbldg1928and1930.jpg

I have to admit, all these CNE pics have piqued my interest...

I think I'm finally going to go tonight!

Yep, go, EVCco. Have some of the food - made the same way by teenage hands for over a hundred years :) . Take in the sights, let the humanity and sounds wash over you. Win a prize and thrill your date - don't understimate the impression this can make - one of these dates became my wife - and the prize - a teddy bear - hangs on a peg and surveys the garage workshop. :) The odds are good for the Birthday Roulette. Stay until late. The Midway at night is still the thrill of any time, place and culture. Let the soothing hum of the TTC car rock you home. In my day, Gramps would wake me as we came up to King station for the subway journey to the end of the line at Eglinton, and another bus. Sometimes we would go to the Ex more than once; I would manage to stay awake and we would pass the Toronto Star building on King in the gloom. It would be time to rub eyes and get ready to get off.

That's it for my CNE Now and Then pictures for this year. Anyone care to invest $16 and some shoe leather to take some more?

September 5 addition.

Then.

And Now.

rolled into one.

Some of you may remember walking across this bridge from Front street and on eventually to the base of the CN Tower. It now spans Hwy 11 in Orillia.

From their website:

"September 1983.

Webers acquires a portion of the pedestrian bridge from the CN Tower in Toronto. It is erected in the fall of 1983 and becomes the first and only privately built bridge built over a public highway in the province of Ontario."

http://www.webers.com/history.html

DSC_1869.jpg

The burgers are very good. The hot dogs you can safely take a pass on.

They later moved into that big warehouse in Liberty Village, right? (E of present-day Sobeys)

Looking again at the 1930 shot, I'm wondering if there was some kind of fire that fast-tracked the demolition...

"They later moved into that big warehouse in Liberty Village, right? (E of present-day Sobeys)" QUOTE. adma.

What we had had in the "Liberty Village" area, was the heartland of Canadian industry, eg

Massey-Harris-Ferguson/Dominion Bridge, John Inglis Co/Addison Industries/Loblaws, Toronto Carpet/ Barrymore Cloth Co, Toronto Wind Machine, E W Gillett Co/Standard Brands,

Anthes Foundry, Diston Saw Co/Canada Bread, General Electric Co/ Bakelite Co, Simmons Mattress, two major lumber companies, the list continues . . .

The warehouse mentioned - A R Williams/Liberty Warehouse was lastly used by McKenna Warehousing/Logistics mostly for local elevator company storage and for the "rebuilding", of

new, escalators imported from Europe. (a "union thing"!) I will try to give a better account of this area at another time, but yes, A R Williams, did move there, but not in total;

they also remained on Front Street West.

Regards,
J T

Goldie, I am immensely enjoying the Flickr Then and Now album link you posted recently, thank you.

September 6 addition.

Then. 251 College. 1922.

251college1922.jpg

Now. July 2010.

This imposing structure has been doing its unsung duty for at least 88 years now.

DSC_0307.jpg

Another great site for those who like to browse old archive photos is: http://www.shorpy.com
I can spend hours there!
Mostly US photos but I found this one of Toronto - Humberside Football Team, c.1950 - see attachment

Attachments

• humbersidefootball1950.jpg
    humbersidefootball1950.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 387
Goldie, I am immensely enjoying the Flickr Then and Now album link you posted recently, thank you.

September 6 addition.

Then. 251 College. 1922.

251college1922.jpg

Now. July 2010.

This imposing structure has been doing its unsung duty for at least 88 years now.

DSC_0307.jpg

The one good thing about those backlit signs is they don't do too much damage to the building or sometimes old signage. It wouldn't surprise me if all or parts of the old sign in the pix above is still there. The pic below is the Main Drug Store at Dundas & Ossington. If you look underneath the backlit you can see that the original storefront is still intact. Would look great if someone restored it.

maindrug.jpg

The one good thing about those backlit signs is they don't do too much damage to the building or sometimes old signage. It wouldn't surprise me if all or parts of the old sign in the pix above is still there. The pic below is the Main Drug Store at Dundas & Ossington. If you look underneath the backlit you can see that the original storefront is still intact. Would look great if someone restored it.

maindrug.jpg

What a great discovery; sometimes we forget that we need to look up once in awhile...

September 7 addition.

Then. 357 College street. March 27, 1919.

357college.jpg

Now. July 2010. It's been 91 years and not many changes here. Possibly even the "Billiards" building on the left might have survived until its modern replacement. This stretch of College is one of my favourite strolls: I can go west to the Cafe "Dip" and a sit, or south into Kensington Market and groceries, or east into Chinatown for buns, a fortifying midday Pho, or dinner.

DSC_0309.jpg

Another great site for those who like to browse old archive photos is: http://www.shorpy.com
I can spend hours there!
Mostly US photos but I found this one of Toronto - Humberside Football Team, c.1950 - see attachment

I can also highly recommend Shorpy. There are American civil war pictures there that have the most amazing resolution and clarity.

Back