8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Super-wide morningside

TNMorningsiderailroadbridge.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a Scarborough location with 168 years of history!

TNZion-Wexfordlookingeast.jpg

I wonder what those children are doing? It's a school trip I'm guessing...

October 19 addition.

What with the federal government's decision to buy new fighter aircraft, and my attending a trade show at the Airport road International Centre recently [across the street from where the Avro Arrow was built], I decided to visit our local aviation history museum.

http://www.casmuseum.org/index.shtml

Lots to do and see here even if you are not really into historical aviation. There is a full size replica of the Arrow here. There is also a sad reminder here of the accident that claimed the lives of the crew of the RAF Nimrod aircraft that crashed into the water off Ontario Place a few years ago (this aircraft's vertical stabilizer).

Some pictures from the museum below. The Arrow is the very large white aircraft - just in case you missed the Dan Ackroyd CBC movie several years ago. :)

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

A wonderful period video trumpeting the Arrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8lTGTPQlDE

Speaking of our military services; I'm in receipt of a couple of personal photos of a Toronto area Rememberance day theme from a UTer. I will be posting these on November 11. I'm suggesting to UTers that they dig out anything similar from personal photo albums; scan and post them. Thanks in advance. :)

Never knew there was a "Donlands Station" on the railway line close-by the present intersection of Don Mills Rd. and Wynford Dr.
It's highlighted on this detail of a 1932 map.
I went exploring to find any remnant of that station and found only this bit of gravel beside the tracks - could it be?

1932map.jpg

DonlandsStation.jpg

The engine plant (ORENDA ENGINES) was to the east (north?) of the RR track where the AVRO Arrow's "prime mover", was built. I missed that event, working at the plant in the late 60's,

but talk continued about it even then by the "old tymer's". We, at that tyme, built the J-85, (military) and R+O'd the much larger J-79's. (commercial)

Coffee breaks were not designated, being "as to the tyme one wanted", that could mean once per hour! During the '67? union negotiations, that subject was hotly debated by the union.

They, the union, wanting the "proper coffee break". it being one of the "sticking points", of what developed into THE STRIKE that lasted one or two months! (summer tyme, you know) Seeing

"the writing on the wall", I quit. THE UNION; + Company settled. God help anyone with a coffee/tea/soft drink out of the now allottetd 15 min in the morning/afternoon. Of course, the same

held true for the 2nd/3rd shifts. We had been well paid, including a cost of living bonus, were paid by cash brought by the Brinks trucks, and did little work, with most of the "production",

being Cost Plus. Heaven now turned.

Oh yes, the Test Cells were still out at the back of the plant with rumblings of an engine within - highly doubtful, and there was still talk of the Flying Saucer that had been constructed

(engine by ORENDA of course!) - Yes, I have seen live footage.

Regards,
J T

PS. It was a fully guarded plant under The Official Secrets Act, probably still is.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Never knew there was a "Donlands Station" on the railway line close-by the present intersection of Don Mills Rd. and Wynford Dr.
It's highlighted on this detail of a 1932 map.
I went exploring to find any remnant of that station and found only this bit of gravel beside the tracks - could it be?

1932map.jpg

DonlandsStation.jpg

Thanks for waiting for the train to set up the shot, Goldie. I trust the weather wasn't too brisk that day. :)

Thanks for the comment.
Here are a couple more sourced from other archives:

TNNeilsonHouse.jpg

TNStoneCottageKingstonRd.jpg

I haven't been to Scarborough Town Centre Mall in years, but the Scott House Restaurant is (or was) located to the north across from the mall parking lot.

I remember the place before it's restoration; it was a fallen down pile of stones. Your pictures of old houses readapted for modern use reminded me of the Scott House.

http://www.torontohistory.org/Pages_MNO/Old_Scott_House.html

Last edited:
October 20 addition.

The pleasant park in Cabbagetown known as Riverdale Farm was once the Toronto Zoo from 1894 until 1974.

It's a great place now to take children to see the pigs, horses, chickens and lambs at this City operated farm. The older among us may remember when it was the Toronto Zoo. A few of the structures still exist if overgrown and the pathways haven't changed.

I visited only once, as an 8 year old in the early 60s; I'm not sure why my parents never took me again...

sep251913.jpg

DSC_0238-1.jpg

In the "Then" picture below, the chapel of the Toronto Necropolis Cemetery serves as a reference point for our "Now" picture.

s0372_ss0052_it2077.jpg

DSC_0236-1.jpg

f1244_it0646.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

Below is the "Donnybrook"; I'm not sure its purpose; do any UTers know?

RiverdaleZooDonnybrook.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

In the "Then" view below we see a stone bridge leading to what is variously known as the Island House or the Monkey House in the middle of a pond. All still exist. In the Then picture the photographer must have had some sort of hydraulic lift - or perhaps climbed a tree - I could not find the same elevated vantage point now. Which brings me to another point; even if I had used the same elevated vantage point, the dense overgrowth would have prevented a view. There is quite a lot of unnecessary brush and growth about; I think it needs to be cut back. The pond is also stagnant and smells quite bad. There were many visitors this August day and I am certain the experience could have been better for some grounds maintenance and an inlet and outlet opened into the pond. If that's not asking too much. :)

The road on the left I believe to be Winchester street. We are looking east. Winchester street at the time skirted the south side of the Necropolis [this section of road still exists but is private Riverdale Farm access], descended into and across the Don Valley [now obliterated by the Bayview extension and the Don Valley Parkway], crossed north east and up out of the Valley using the same alignment as the present day DVP access road leading from the Bloor eastbound lanes [past the Pizza Pizza]. It's hard to believe now but our great great grandparents would have taken this route to get out of downtown Toronto to get to the Danforth and points east.

s0372_ss0052_it0974.jpg

The colour photo below is a "Wiley fonds" photo from the Toronto Archives. I include it only to show the vegetation growth that now covers the area thickly. I promise to stop now.

f0124_fl0010_id0002.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

4718199983_12f51cdefc_b.jpg

4718200345_086b9fd5fd.jpg

A charming video of our Zoo in 1937. There are some Toronto street scenes in this as well; they have me stumped location wise. Well worth a viewing - since you're reading this already, right? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArSm0Te11Z8

October 20 addition.
I visited only once, as an 8 year old in the early 60s; I'm not sure why my parents never took me again...

You were probably traumatized by the conditions the animals were living in.

A charming video of our Zoo in 1937. There are some Toronto street scenes in this as well; they have me stumped location wise. Well worth a viewing - since you're reading this already, right? :)

Right. The view that starts at the 1:16 mark looks like Yonge looking south from Wellington.

Winchester St. from Zoo to Danforth

The road on the left I believe to be Winchester street. We are looking east. Winchester street at the time skirted the south side of the Necropolis [this section of road still exists but is private Riverdale Farm access], descended into and across the Don Valley [now obliterated by the Bayview extension and the Don Valley Parkway], crossed north east and up out of the Valley using the same alignment as the present day DVP access road leading from the Bloor eastbound lanes [past the Pizza Pizza]. It's hard to believe now but our great great grandparents would have taken this route to get out of downtown Toronto to get to the Danforth and points east.

s0372_ss0052_it0974.jpg

I was particularly interested in your note regarding Winchester St.
Here are some other photos I've collected of Winchester - in the valley (attached):

Attachments

• Winchester Ave bridge over the Don c.1900.jpg
    Winchester Ave bridge over the Don c.1900.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 363
  • Winchester Don Vale House 1870.jpg
    Winchester Don Vale House 1870.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 338
  • Winchester Dr at Broadview 1919.jpg
    Winchester Dr at Broadview 1919.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 349
  • Winchester E of the Don_swiss cottage hospital.jpg
    Winchester E of the Don_swiss cottage hospital.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 336
Funny how so many things can come together sometimes.

The "Now" pictures of the entrance to Riverdale Farm took me back to May this year when, during my visit home, I had a tour of the Necropolis. I had never been in the cemetery before and was amazed at the number of well-known Toronto people who have been buried there over the past 170 years or more.

Then there were the memories of Riverdale Zoo itself. I was taken there more than once as a very young child when we lived on Hampton Avenue and my grandparents were round the corner on Sparkhall. I can only remember going once after we moved to North Toronto. Just shows it was too far away. That visit was with the family next door who had a CAR--something many families did not have circa 1947. I remember the journey to the zoo more than the zoo itself. Why? beause we went down that road from the corner of Broadview and Danforth that Goldie has in Picture 4. On earlier visits we had gone in on foot from some point within Riverdale Park and I was very confused.

Today I have been building up a sketch map of the section of Toronto from Ashbridge's Bay north to Bloor Street as it was in 1861. So far, emphasis has been on the western-most part of the map and the various bridges across the Don. It's good to see a three-dimensional view!

Map of Winchester through valley

Today I have been building up a sketch map of the section of Toronto from Ashbridge's Bay north to Bloor Street as it was in 1861. So far, emphasis has been on the western-most part of the map and the various bridges across the Don. It's good to see a three-dimensional view!

Here's a section of a 1902 Toronto map that clearly shows the connection between Winchester & Danforth (attached):

Attachments

• Map Toronto - east end 1902.jpg
    Map Toronto - east end 1902.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 352

Back