8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

October 21 addition.

Church and Shuter SE corner ca 1920s?

churchandshuterSEca1920s.jpg

Later on, as the Hotel Carson, January 16, 1961.

f1257_s1057_it9725.jpg

Now. August 2010. For the life of me I can't remember what was here prior to this new building which is only a couple of years old. It certainly wasn't the Hotel Carson... I think it was a vacant lot.

DSC_0465.jpg

To the south of our Hotel Carson/Elliott in all of our pictures can be made out the former Athenaeum Club. http://www.torontohistory.org/Pages_ABC/Athenaeum_Club.html

Might it have been The Silver Lantern? If so, the signage has changed several times but there is still an old Silver Lantern sign in an out of the way spot.

bkeith,

Sorry for the delay. My mom has a sort of answer for you: Her dad Mr. Quan ran a "Chinese Canadian cafe" type place on Dundas street in Whitby's old downtown section from the 40s until about 1952ish. She doesn't know the name of it or the exact address, just the street. She lived in downtown Toronto and only visited a couple of times, as they didn't have a car and Whitby was "quite a journey without a car" as she puts it.

This "Silver Lantern" sign... is it on or close to Dundas street?

Last edited:
Now. August 2010. For the life of me I can't remember what was here prior to this new building which is only a couple of years old. It certainly wasn't the Hotel Carson... I think it was a vacant lot.

There was a quirky pair of absolutely 70s (red brick and greenhouse-style glass) restaurant pavilions for years...

bkeith,

Sorry for the delay. My mom has a sort of answer for you: Her dad Mr. Quan ran a "Chinese Canadian cafe" type place on Dundas street in Whitby's old downtown section from the 40s until about 1952ish. She doesn't know the name of it or the exact address, just the street. She lived in downtown Toronto and only visited a couple of times, as they didn't have a car and Whitby was "quite a journey without a car" as she puts it.

This "Silver Lantern" sign... is it on or close to Dundas street?

You can't see it from the front (110 Dundas St. West). It's the grey building with the arch at http://goo.gl/maps/yGa8
You can see the vertical red sign over the parking lot at http://goo.gl/maps/kRME

Hopefully these short google URLs give the proper orientation for the street view.

Whitby Library has an online digital photograph collection :D

Here is a photo from about 1945. The 'Whitby Cafe' sign is on what is now the grey building with the arch.
Does the sign say 'Chop Suey' at the bottom?
27579f.jpg

This one is from 1947.
27583f.jpg

Last edited:
Was there some point or another when "sidewalk" fuel pumps were banned?

I can't answer the question, but I was reminded of this photo of Danforth Ave (1919) on which the caption refers to the "gasoline pipe."
I imagine that's the hose hanging from the telegraph pole.
Not exactly 'safety-first'!

DanforthAve412gasolinepipe-1919.jpg

bkeith, Anna,

Let me show this picture to my mom. Please stand by. Thanks much both of you. :) I hope there wasn't more than one Chinese cafe on Dundas in 1940s Whitby.

I don't get out of Toronto much nowadays but a few years ago there was still a Chinese Canadian Cafe type place on Penetang's Main street just west of Robert street that had been there since the 40s (It's gone now). I stopped going to Penetang when the kids grew up and weren't interested in catching perch or crappies off the town dock anymore. If anyone here has small kids they are guaranteed to hook a couple each rain or shine. Use small barbless hooks and chunks of worm - I do believe that most children would rather catch and release than kill the fish. Take a pair of needle nose pliers to remove swallowed hooks. On hot days the fish will congregate close to the dock woodwork; just tell your kids to drop a line 5 feet straight down. No casting necessary. You parents can catch up on your reading while the brats fish. The Dock Lunch at the town dock is a cool place - give the older kids some money to spend there and their day has been made.

There was also a Cafe on Elora's Metcalfe street that ran from the 40s until about 1985. The owner, "Bing" retired to Toronto. There is a TrueValue there now.

Everyone still with me? :)

October 22 addition.

What to post. What... to post...

Ok, lets go with the east side of Elizabeth street just south of Dundas. Part of the old "Ward" area; this area hosted waves of immigrants including Blacks, Irish, Jews and Chinese. Wow, that's a quick history; yeah? Bada-boom.

The "Then" picture is significant for having a bit of each. :)

Then. March 30, 1937. 109-111 Elizabeth street. I seem to remember these structures lasting until about 1985 or so. This area; bound by Dundas, Bay, Foster Place and Elizabeth; was cleared completely and was a parking lot until the present condo was built a couple of years ago.

The Markowitz bakery location was a Chinese BBQ shop in the 60s and early 70s - you know, of the roasted pig in the window.

s0372_ss0033_it0161.jpg

Now. August 2010. This condo has its own supermarket on the north side facing Dundas. So, once again, our Elizabeth street has turned full circle and become a neighbourhood. If I lived in this condo with grade school age kids I suppose I might walk them up to Orde street school as the families that lived here a hundred years ago might have done.

DSC_0508.jpg

A Then & Now challenge

When I came upon this image - attached (found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43021516@N06/page4/),
I immediately imagined that it would provide a fine exercise for some "Then & Now" fan.
Since I'm in the east-end I'll leave it for a west-ender.
Is the building is still there?

Attachments

• Weston Rd.jpg
    Weston Rd.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 333

Back