News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

NIL OMNI, thanks for confirming what to me was always a form of "white noise", like a waterfall - the hum of our streetcars. :)

My kids as infants would fall asleep fast on streetcars.

Thanks ChrisR, Goldie, donoreo and spider for your time investigating.

Thank you bloor for your kind words.

December 15 addition.

Then. "Queen st at Pape ave looking west. Apr 5 1934".

s0071_it10222.jpg

Now. November 2010. Most nearly everything is there... I'll let you look for yourselves. I hope the end of the year is shaping up well for everyone.

DSC_0090.jpg

December 15 addition.

Then. 1882 engraving of an early 1800s scene - Kingston Road looking SW towards Toronto. I don't know whether this is a rendition of an actual view or something romanticized.

DSCF3365.jpg

DSCF3370.jpg

Now. November 2010. I chose a Now location where the downtown core is visible as it was for the horse and wagon travelers in the Then engraving.

DSC_0082.jpg

:)******Bonus Addition for today*******!!!!:)

I realize everyone is here for the "regular" Now and Thens comprising building/street views. So I hope the above doesn't disappoint.

My Bonus Addition below is somewhat personalized so it's an add on to the usual content.

Cats.

Everyone notices cats. Some of us own some, two in my case. Some of us may know they were domesticated to catch rodents. Some may know the ancient Egyptians revered them.

Everyone knows they are the acme of grace in appearance and movement.

And of course, uncountable many of them have been and are citizens of Toronto.

Then. "Lakefield. Miss Laing and cat. Nov. 10, 1924".

lakefieldmisslaingandcatnov101924.jpg

Now. 2010. "Tiger"

Tiger is a Torontonian of the most original sort. He is a foundling. "Found" wandering our yard at [so says the vet] about 8 weeks of age.

Tiger had no identification chip embedded under his skin, nor a collar. No posters on hydro poles asked for him.

Tiger asks for little and gives much. He follows me all over the house. He takes a toy into his bed and takes it out when he wakes.

He plays fetch. He announces visitors.

Humble in origin, he knows his splendid ancestry and will take any chair he likes.

Please allow me to introduce "Tiger" to Urban Toronto.

36854_1308443793027_1288556482_30711833_213993_n.jpg

thats a really cute cat :) we were going to name our cat tiger but named him chewie after chewbacca in starwars and also chews everything to shreds....so the name suits him

Thanks much sodapop. Sorry that your reply is out of snyc with my post. I made a mess of my post and deleted and reposted while you were posting. Tiger says hello to chewie. :)

December 15 addition.

Then. 1882 engraving of an early 1800s scene - Kingston Road looking SW towards Toronto. I don't know whether this is a rendition of an actual view or something romanticized.

DSCF3370.jpg

I would suspect it's a fantasy view as it seems geographically impossible to have a view of the downtown and lake from such an elevated position anywhere on Kingston Road. Beautiful drawing, though!

PS In spite of being a dog person myself, I think your cat is awfully cute.....

Last edited:
I would suspect it's a fantasy view as it seems geographically impossible to have a view of the downtown and lake from such an elevated position anywhere on Kingston Road. Beautiful drawing, though!

PS In spite of being a dog person myself, I think your cat is awfully cute.....

Tiger returns the compliment. :)

I agree about fantasy view. I walked Kingston Road from Victoria Park to Queen and couldn't find lay-of-land similar to the view.

A Fine Tiger

That tiger's a real beauty!

Attachments

• 36854_1308443793027_1288556482_30711833_213993_n.jpg
    36854_1308443793027_1288556482_30711833_213993_n.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 399
Wow.

I've just discovered this thread a couple of weeks ago and have finally caught up. What Ive seen is astounding.

Vancouver is now my home, but I was born in the late 50s and raised mainly in eastern parts of Toronto: Cliffside/Scarborough Bluffs, Don Mills, East York. Went to Northern Secondary, then Ryerson in the late 70s-early 80s, moved away for the last time in 1984. I never get back as much as I'd like to. Spent a lot of time both in North Toronto and on the Danforth.

My father grew up on Browning Avenue, met my mother at East York Collegiate. He worked for Torfeaco in Weston for many years and later managed a drapery plant on Atlantic (which later moved to King and Niagara). A couple of years ago my mother was in ICU and we thought she wasn't going to make it, which prospect led me to reminisce about many of the places we went to when I was a kid. She's doing better, but my father (who I thought would make it to 100) suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack last summer. I'd shared a few other historic and heritage sites with him - I'm very sorry he didn't get to experience this palimpsest of memories.

I remember my grandmother taking me downtown on the Bloor car from Luttrell to Yonge and going down the transitway stairs to the subway. I remember being very excited when the B-D line opened, though disappointed that the streetcars (and the transitway) went away. She would take me to Simpson's and Eaton's , where we would ride the old wooden escalators in the Eaton's annex. We would go for Red Hots and Honey Dew in Simpson's basement. Occasionally we'd go to the dining room on one of the top floors in one of the stores, can't remember which one. Once we saw a show there called The Dancing Waters - does anyone remember that?

I used to walk and cycle many of the trails in the Don Valley and the tributary ravines. I knew about the Belt Line but was gobsmacked to learn about the Moore Park station.

When did they move the old Don Station from Todmorden and why?

CNE: I remember climbing up the Shell Tower when I was about 10. And I remember riding the Alpine Way - anyone have photos of it?

I'll likely have more questions and observations. Thank you everyone and keep it coming!

Wow.

I've just discovered this thread a couple of weeks ago and have finally caught up. What Ive seen is astounding.

Welcome, Browing Avenue.
We have somethings in common - I grew up in East York and, like your mother, went to East York Collegiate.

You'll find some dates regarding the Don Station with the thumbnails at: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?6947-Miscellany-Toronto-Then-Now/page301
It was moved to the John Street Roundhouse (at the foot of the CN Tower) in 2009 because that roundhouse was being restored for use as a railroad museum.
I haven't visited the roundhouse lately, but I suspect it may become a fine museum - some locomotives and other old hardware have also been moved there.

In the past couple of years; and basically, to concentrate rail-museum fare in the roundhouse location and because it was "doing nothing" at Todmorden, anyway (and had itself been moved there 40 odd years ago)

December 15 addition.

Now. November 2010. I chose a Now location where the downtown core is visible as it was for the horse and wagon travelers in the Then engraving.

I realize everyone is here for the "regular" Now and Thens comprising building/street views. So I hope the above doesn't disappoint.

Not at All. I think these kinds of TaN are amazing. Great spot to capture Skyline.

I would suspect it's a fantasy view as it seems geographically impossible to have a view of the downtown and lake from such an elevated position anywhere on Kingston Road.

There's a painting currently on display in the Market Gallery inside the St. Lawrence Market South ( View of Toronto, 1855, by Mary Hastings Mayer ) showing the old town as seen from the Don Valley - around Danforth I think - that almost seems too good to be true considering how far away the buildings are ( sorry for such a tiny image ):

http://www.toronto.ca/culture/images/fineart/toronto1855.jpg

http://www.toronto.ca/culture/fine_art.htm

Back