News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

There's a painting currently on display in the Market Gallery inside the St. Lawrence Market South ( View of Toronto, 1855, by Mary Hastings Mayer ) showing the old town as seen from the Don Valley - around Danforth I think - that almost seems too good to be true considering how far away the buildings are ( sorry for such a tiny image ):

http://www.toronto.ca/culture/images/fineart/toronto1855.jpg

http://www.toronto.ca/culture/fine_art.htm

I saw that painting years ago, if memory serves me correctly, in the Urban Design department in the office of the Director (it was quite beautiful). I'll use this opportunity to again decry the lack of a Museum of the City of Toronto. All these paintings, currently hidden away in Councillors' offices, bureaucrats' meeting rooms and random hallways, should be assembled, curated and seen by the public. Occasional showings in the Market Gallery isn't enough. Old City Hall, main floors? I have a feeling we'll have to wait at least four more years.......

That tiger's a real beauty!

Thank you Goldie. For that you get another Tiger picture.

Ok, I promise, that's it for the Tiger pictures. :)

38308_1319268583640_1288556482_30740343_2571315_n.jpg

Wow.

I've just discovered this thread a couple of weeks ago and have finally caught up. What Ive seen is astounding.

Vancouver is now my home, but I was born in the late 50s and raised mainly in eastern parts of Toronto: Cliffside/Scarborough Bluffs, Don Mills, East York. Went to Northern Secondary, then Ryerson in the late 70s-early 80s, moved away for the last time in 1984. I never get back as much as I'd like to. Spent a lot of time both in North Toronto and on the Danforth.

My father grew up on Browning Avenue, met my mother at East York Collegiate. He worked for Torfeaco in Weston for many years and later managed a drapery plant on Atlantic (which later moved to King and Niagara). A couple of years ago my mother was in ICU and we thought she wasn't going to make it, which prospect led me to reminisce about many of the places we went to when I was a kid. She's doing better, but my father (who I thought would make it to 100) suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack last summer. I'd shared a few other historic and heritage sites with him - I'm very sorry he didn't get to experience this palimpsest of memories.

I remember my grandmother taking me downtown on the Bloor car from Luttrell to Yonge and going down the transitway stairs to the subway. I remember being very excited when the B-D line opened, though disappointed that the streetcars (and the transitway) went away. She would take me to Simpson's and Eaton's , where we would ride the old wooden escalators in the Eaton's annex. We would go for Red Hots and Honey Dew in Simpson's basement. Occasionally we'd go to the dining room on one of the top floors in one of the stores, can't remember which one. Once we saw a show there called The Dancing Waters - does anyone remember that?

I used to walk and cycle many of the trails in the Don Valley and the tributary ravines. I knew about the Belt Line but was gobsmacked to learn about the Moore Park station.

When did they move the old Don Station from Todmorden and why?

CNE: I remember climbing up the Shell Tower when I was about 10. And I remember riding the Alpine Way - anyone have photos of it?

I'll likely have more questions and observations. Thank you everyone and keep it coming!

Browning Avenue,

Hello and sorry about your Dad.

Red Hots/Honey Dew, old wooden escalators, Northern Secondary - check, check, check for me too. I attended Northern from 1970 - 75. Principal John "Johnnie" Walker.

I wonder what it is about Hot Dogs and the Toronto "psyche". The quick cheap nourishing food of your youth (and your Dads) is still omnipresent with us - carts on our streets serve them still to another generation who eat them unquestioningly. Not hamburgers, nor sandwiches, not Pizza or Souvlaki. Our City Hall regulatory powers decided it would be Hot Dogs.

The CNE Archives has an extremely in depth Facebook page with hundreds of images like the one below that I swiped.

74296_171728512842346_115838635098001_637456_7957559_n.jpg

There's a painting currently on display in the Market Gallery inside the St. Lawrence Market South ( View of Toronto, 1855, by Mary Hastings Mayer ) showing the old town as seen from the Don Valley - around Danforth I think - that almost seems too good to be true considering how far away the buildings are ( sorry for such a tiny image ):

http://www.toronto.ca/culture/images/fineart/toronto1855.jpg

http://www.toronto.ca/culture/fine_art.htm

Urban Shocker,

I wonder if it's an English thing to paint a suburban/country scene of sylvan idyll with a town in the distance.

I've seen more than a few images like the one below: John Constable's "Hampstead Heath with London in the distance c.1827-30".

JohnConstableHampsteadHeathwithLondoninthedistance.jpg

I saw that painting years ago, if memory serves me correctly, in the Urban Design department in the office of the Director (it was quite beautiful). I'll use this opportunity to again decry the lack of a Museum of the City of Toronto. All these paintings, currently hidden away in Councillors' offices, bureaucrats' meeting rooms and random hallways, should be assembled, curated and seen by the public. Occasional showings in the Market Gallery isn't enough. Old City Hall, main floors? I have a feeling we'll have to wait at least four more years.......

We're not London but if we could do 30% of what those people have done we would have a real crowd and tourist pleaser.

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/

Instead, we have Mackenzie House.

Not at All. I think these kinds of TaN are amazing. Great spot to capture Skyline.

Thanks Alden,

No one pauses on this stretch of Kingston Road to take in that distant view. They might get hit from behind by a car.

December 17 addition.

Then. UTer ValsHere sent me these images of postcards from her collection.

PrettyChristmasTreesatCNE.jpg

ChristmasPrincesGates.jpg

ShellToweratChristmas.jpg

Now. December 2010. Our Prince's Gate is undergoing a refresh. Perhaps next year there will be Christmas decorations...

DSC_0957.jpg

Yes, we need a major institution dedicated to Toronto's history and culture. Too many people don't see the diverse and interesting angles of Toronto's history and development, and can't develop a great passion for the city. With all these new residents arriving annually, we need to focus on education and awareness.

Also, too often residents don't have or even care to have any connection with past residents, and don't have much admiration for their achievements. Hence, the beauty of a view terminus is ruined by some insensitive new development without much government or public opposition. So many people think of 19th century Toronto as simple and provincial, when the historical record suggests sophisticated (if often conservative) architecture and streetscapes with great plans for new public spaces. Rather than progressively moving the city forward, every generation seems to have some completely different vision potentially compromising or ruining previous achievements and ideas.

Yes, we need a major institution dedicated to Toronto's history and culture. Too many people don't see the diverse and interesting angles of Toronto's history and development, and can't develop a great passion for the city. With all these new residents arriving annually, we need to focus on education and awareness.

Also, too often residents don't have or even care to have any connection with past residents, and don't have much admiration for their achievements. Hence, the beauty of a view terminus is ruined by some insensitive new development without much government or public opposition. So many people think of 19th century Toronto as simple and provincial, when the historical record suggests sophisticated (if often conservative) architecture and streetscapes with great plans for new public spaces. Rather than progressively moving the city forward, every generation seems to have some completely different vision potentially compromising or ruining previous achievements and ideas.

Well put!

Back