News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I have tried this automatic monthly thingy re downtown parking once; never again.

If their office "doesn't get it", re cancellation , they continue to GET IT.

Baseball bat or account number change seems to be the only solution.

With post-dated cheques, a STOP PAYMENT works just fine.

Reguards,
J T

Not only that, but it's late August and many of the men are wearing vests. You can imagine the torment of constricting clothing in those pre-airconditioning days.

Of course, one tried to wear linen, cotton and summer-weight wool........

jamespicnic.jpg

Not only that, but it's late August and many of the men are wearing vests. You can imagine the torment of constricting clothing in those pre-airconditioning days.

I love how crowded and busy Toronto looked back then even though there were fewer people. I'm thinking it's because the suburbs as we know them today didn't exist and neither did the subway or shopping malls (which take people off the street; I'm not talking about department stores, but full-on malls). Downtown was where you went for everything and you most probably lived close-ish to it.

"Of course, one tried to wear linen, cotton and summer-weight wool........" QUOTE thecharioteer.

Along with either celluloid collars + cuffs, Panama or straw hats - c/w leather sweatbands, starched fabric,

double-hung windows, screen doors, awnings, fans, Sunnyside Tank, or if the wind was O K, the bay or the lake.

Auto's only became with A/C as a standard during the '66 model year, (CADILLAC) even in the limousine body style!

Prior, the vent window could be as a ventillator as well as the outside air venting from the cowl and later the grill area,

not forgetting the additional "sun visor accessory".

During another of my lives, detachable collars were the norm with starch, starch, + more starch, with the body of

the shirt heavilly starched as well. COOL, COOL, COOL. I later would secumb to a regular type of shirt with

"THE CAREFUL HAND on the Avenue", doing a right proper job.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Auto's only became with A/C as a standard during the '66 model year, (CADILLAC) even in the limousine body style!

A neighbour had a Caddy with air conditioning when I was still in High School which makes it pre 1952.

Walk the PATH at rush hour and you'll get to see your crowd of men in suits.

I see them from my window, too... in their cars on the Gardiner.

Back when the streetcar was king, those who now live in bubbles were often seen.

I love how crowded and busy Toronto looked back then even though there were fewer people.

PATH sucks a lot of people off the downtown streets as does the subway. I have some pictures of the core during the blackout a few years back. People came pouring out. The streets were covered with people.

"Clothes Make the Man"

A page with no images - DOWNER!

Attachments

• clothes.jpg
    clothes.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 310
"A neighbour had a Caddy with air conditioning when I was still in High School which makes it pre 1952." QUOTE spider.

No doubt, however, and I was sort of off by a year but not on the limo, - should have been 1965 for the regular Caddy, but 1966 was the year for the limo.

For the '65 model year, Cadillac started their two year styling cycle; this featured curved glass side windows.

The Series 75 Sedan + Limousine being 7 passenger limited production vehicles remained as the '64 models, changing only the transmission, hubcaps +

just maybe the streering wheel medalion. They did not feature A/C as STANDARD EQUIPMENT. The '64 Cadillac line offered A/C as an OPTION only, on

all models regardless of pricepoint/body configuration.

If your neighbour had a '51/2, I can well believe, it being a rather rare bird, especially in Canada; a '65 limousine without A/C being one as well.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"Of course, one tried to wear linen, cotton and summer-weight wool........" QUOTE thecharioteer.

Along with either celluloid collars + cuffs, Panama or straw hats - c/w leather sweatbands, starched fabric,

double-hung windows, screen doors, awnings, fans, Sunnyside Tank, or if the wind was O K, the bay or the lake.

Prior, the vent window could be as a ventillator as well as the outside air venting from the cowl and later the grill area,

not forgetting the additional "sun visor accessory".

During another of my lives, detachable collars were the norm with starch, starch, + more starch, with the body of

the shirt heavilly starched as well. COOL, COOL, COOL. I later would secumb to a regular type of shirt with

"THE CAREFUL HAND on the Avenue", doing a right proper job.

Regards,
J T

Not to mention open trolleys:

s0071_it11469.jpg

Of course, one tried to wear linen, cotton and summer-weight wool........

jamespicnic.jpg

What the heck, I can't pass up an opportunity for clothing advice. :)

Just a reminder to the men here who will be buying a suit soon.

Firstly: Suit fabrics come in different weights. You can sense some are thicker and heavier when you feel the cloth in the store. Ask yourself if you could wear any suit that you like the looks of in a heat wave. Don't buy on looks alone.

The downside of a lighter weight fabric is that you may be a bit colder in the winter, but I would rather be comfortable in the heat. In the winter you can always add a heavier overcoat.

Secondly: Black suits are sold everywhere and are the go-to colour for most men, especially for those who need or want only one suit. I've seen them worn at weddings, funerals and on business so I know they are popular. The better choice is the deepest navy blue. It's still correct for all occasions. Even for funerals. You're going to have to trust me on this.

Thirdly: Pinstripes are for daytime business wear only. Chalkstripes if you are a "Goodfella" or can carry off a bowler hat.

I love how crowded and busy Toronto looked back then even though there were fewer people. I'm thinking it's because the suburbs as we know them today didn't exist and neither did the subway or shopping malls (which take people off the street; I'm not talking about department stores, but full-on malls). Downtown was where you went for everything and you most probably lived close-ish to it.

My memories as a child only go as far back as 1960 or so but, I can say that prior to Yorkdale, downtown was the place to go many things. We lived in North Toronto.

East York had their Thorncliffe area Sayvette and the east end had their Shoppers World, so as romantic as thecharioteer's 1920s era picture is, I would say that by the 1950s, if not earlier, the suburbs and their plazas were in the ascendance.

Walk the PATH at rush hour and you'll get to see your crowd of men in suits.

I do walk the PATH occasionally. It's mostly off the rack stuff judging from pants that pool at ankles and cuffs that come down to the knuckles. Clothing stores let men walk out like this so it's not our fault. Or the latest trend for younger men, suit jackets that fit too tightly. For older guys, Bill Shatner always looked well fitted in the Boston Legal tv show. For younger guys, Ryan Gosling wears a suit well and seems to know "fit".

A shame these days that most men would rather drive a nicer car than worry about their appearance.

A good alterationist is someone a man needs to cultivate.

January 25 addition.

Then. "November 28 1932. Esplanade [can't make it out] E from Princess".

s0372_ss0079_it0660.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0040.jpg

"A good alterationist is someone a man needs to cultivate." QUOTE Mustapha.

How about a good tailor instead!

(Lou, a three piece in dark blue hopsack, three button surgeon's cuff, please.)

Regards,
J T

I don't recommend the expense of a tailor unless you are hard to fit. I'm 5'7'' [neither a "short" nor "regular"] sloping narrow shoulders and a tummy that pooches out so a tailor might make sense. If you aren't like me, off the rack makes sense.

Surgeon's cuff, eh? Do you leave the bottom button open so the initiated will notice? :)

Back