8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A "Then and Then" from Jarvis Street 1947:

s0372_ss0058_it1725.jpg

s0372_ss0058_it1752.jpg

Sad that they destoryed a once lovely tree-lined avenue all for one extra lane. This destroyed Jarvis. Thankfully the revamp is going on. The walk-up in the first photo has recently (1.5 years ago?) been resurrected from it's derelict past to a proper rental.

This fountain is in the patio of Coffee mill now. I didn't know that it has been somewere else before. When I came to Toronto in 1990, there was parking lot where the restaurant and the cinema have been.
BTW, thank you guys for the extremely interesting info I find every day here. Becouse of you, I know way more about Toronto's history than most people around me.

What's happening here? Is the mews still there? If not what was it turned into? I've tried Googling it but nothing definite is mentioned.

Can anyone explain the background to this photo? It looks like big blocks of something that doesn't belong there, maybe damage to the negative?

princeofwales1927.jpg

Could that background be 'painted stage flats' on a stage at the CNE Grandstand?

thecharioteer,

"Prince of Wales at Riverdale park". Interesting that Riverdale park was once the scene for many public events in the 20s. Usually of a military pageant nature. Until the Don Valley Parkway cleaved it into two, I suppose.

Now dogs run around it off leash.

Love this. I'm a sucker for neon (done correctly) and flashing-light-bulb signs. But, then again, it looks way cooler in black and white. Lol.

I wonder if any Montrealers here could do a Then and Now for us. I'd love to see the comparison. The "Now" would have to be nightime shots.

"I wonder if any Montrealers here could do a Then and Now for us." QUOTE Mustapha.

There is no one living in Montreal now, only Torontonians going to see the sights.

Everyone followed The Bronfman Example and moved lock, stock + barrel to Toronto

after Rene' L became Premier during the early 70's.

Regards,
J T

Huge Riverdale Park Event

Interesting that Riverdale park was once the scene for many public events in the 20s. Usually of a military pageant nature. Until the Don Valley Parkway cleaved it into two, I suppose.

My father took these photos of a 'Drumhead Service' in Riverdale Park.
It was probably in the 1930s.

Attachments

• Riverdale Park Drumhead Service 1936? 1.jpg
    Riverdale Park Drumhead Service 1936? 1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 317
My father took these photos of a 'Drumhead Service' in Riverdale Park.
It was probably in the 1930s.

An Urban Toronto exclusive. Thank you Goldie.

I can't top this or thecharioteers contributions over the last few days - I'm not going to even try, so I'm taking the night off.

Back to the daily addition tommorrow night around midnight.

Can anyone explain the background to this photo? It looks like big blocks of something that doesn't belong there, maybe damage to the negative?

princeofwales1927.jpg

Could that background be 'painted stage flats' on a stage at the CNE Grandstand?

That's what it kind of looks like, doesn't it. But the example I posted was a photo taken in the backcountry in the southern interior of BC, 1920s or so, probably accessed by pack train since the site would have been 20-30 miles from the nearest railway line and 100 miles (and 40 years or so) from the nearest highway. Unless the stage flats were added later in the darkroom?

It is very curious because it and the other photos in the set are of the Prince of Wales opening the Princes' Gates in 1927 down at the CNE.

An interesting side-note to this visit (given the current interest in Edward's brother George, as portrayed in "The King's Speech"), is that George, the Duke of Kent, accompanied Edward on this visit to Toronto, resulting in the naming of the gates for both "princes". George can be seen in this pic (to the right):

princeofwales1927a.jpg

Just to clarify, King George VI of the King's Speech (below) was the 2nd brother, Prince Albert, Duke of York. The Duke of Kent (above) was the 3rd brother, Prince George.

f1244_it2520.jpg

Just to clarify, King George VI of the King's Speech (below) was the 2nd brother, Prince Albert, Duke of York. The Duke of Kent (above) was the 3rd brother, Prince George.

f1244_it2520.jpg

Thank you, Anna! My monarchist in-laws will have my head if they ever find out about my error.....

Thank you, Anna! My monarchist in-laws will have my head if they ever find out about my error.....

Well, going from Prince Albert to King George when there already was a brother George was a bit stupid.
And your in-laws would probably point out I made a mistake - George was the 4th son - Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester was the 3rd.

An Urban Toronto exclusive. Thank you Goldie.

I can't top this or thecharioteers contributions over the last few days - I'm not going to even try, so I'm taking the night off.

A "Now" would be interesting, if the location could be ascertained.

Back