News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

]And judging by the demolition boards, the building east of it seems to be demolished quite recently.

Actually the buildings have been gone for at least 10 years. I lived in the area briefly in 2000 and they had already been cleared for a condo development that never happened.

These are NOT my photos! These are photos that have been posted by Mustapha and others earlier, I'm just making comments on the handful that mean something to me. (I'm not about to take credit for someone else's hard work)

I know you didn't take the photos. Meant the photos you highlighted.

January 31 addition.

Then. "June 17, 1937. 8 Breadalbane street".

s0372_ss0058_it1435.jpg

Now. November 2010. Men's Entrance no longer.

DSC_0081.jpg

The transformation over the last century of the blocks between Yonge and Queen's Park and College and Bloor have been as dramatic as any other section of Toronto, particularly around Bay and Wellesley (formerly St. Alban's Street west of Yonge). The extension of Bay Street north from Queen to Bloor in the 1920's (known as the Terauley Extension), irrevocably changed the neighbourhood from a mixture of Victorian houses and primarily Catholic educational and benevolent institutions to the highrise mixed-use area we know today. Though there have been some architectural "hits" (namely the Grosvenor St. YMCA, Murano (a qualified "hit") and the Provincial Government complex SW of Bay and Wellesley), most of the new buildings have been architectural "misses", particularly the 1980's residential highrises on Bay between Breadalbane and Charles, resulting in a bland quite uninteresting street.....

1910:
baywellesley-1.jpg

Today:

baywellesleyphoto.jpg

Small's Pond

"Edgewood bridge. Dec 18, 1914".

Edgewoodbridgedec181914.jpg

Thanks HamiltonTransitHistory. You are most observant. You have added immeasurably to, if not completed, the body of knowledge about Smalls Pond here at Urban Toronto. :)

Here's another map (1908) of Small's Pond (attached thumbnail) - beside the old Woodbine Race Track.
It shows an outlet to the lake.
This is a detail of a fine Toronto map that will be found at:
http://maps.chass.utoronto.ca/cgi-bin/files.pl?idnum=950&title=+Plan+of+the+City+of+Toronto+1908):

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 334
The transformation over the last century of the blocks between Yonge and Queen's Park and College and Bloor have been as dramatic as any other section of Toronto, particularly around Bay and Wellesley (formerly St. Alban's Street west of Yonge). The extension of Bay Street north from Queen to Bloor in the 1920's (known as the Terauley Extension), irrevocably changed the neighbourhood from a mixture of Victorian houses and primarily Catholic educational and benevolent institutions to the highrise mixed-use area we know today. Though there have been some architectural "hits" (namely the Grosvenor St. YMCA, Murano (a qualified "hit") and the Provincial Government complex SW of Bay and Wellesley), most of the new buildings have been architectural "misses", particularly the 1980's residential highrises on Bay between Breadalbane and Charles, resulting in a bland quite uninteresting street.....

1910:
baywellesley-1.jpg

/QUOTE]

Hmm, Wellesley Public School at the NE corner of Wellesley and Bay, now occupied by Sutton Place Hotel. I wonder if it was razed for Sutton Place...

1910:
baywellesley-1.jpg

Hmm, Wellesley Public School at the NE corner of Wellesley and Bay, now occupied by Sutton Place Hotel. I wonder if it was razed for Sutton Place...

In the pic below from 1934, the school is still there. It's unlikely there was a building built between its time and Sutton Place:

f1244_it1958.jpg

Didn't Meyer Rush attend (a) school on that site? (1960's)

Regards,
J T

Ha! It would be ironic given that his hotel room was bombed in 1967 in the Sutton Place Hotel. Myer Rush, our own Hyman Roth (aka Meyer Lansky) fled to Panama and was sentenced to 10 years in prison for stock fraud. The case enthralled Toronto in the 60's. Not sure what happened to him and Google isn't much help.....

"Didn't Meyer Rush attend (a) school on that site? (1960's)" MY QUOTE.

Yes, THE SCHOOL of HARD KNOCKS.

Regards,
J T

February 1 addition.

Then. "Lawrence Park district ca 1920".

LawrenceParkdistrictca1920.jpg

Now. January 31, 2011. The homes are still there. The one on the right distance quite prominent in both photos.

DSC_0128.jpg

February 1 addition.

Then. "Lawrence Park district ca 1920".

LawrenceParkdistrictca1920.jpg

Now. January 31, 2011. The homes are still there. The one on the right distance quite prominent in both photos.

DSC_0128.jpg

Are we looking north or south? Is that Duplex Avenue or another ravine crossing east of Yonge? There wasn't a bridge or anything more substantial crossing the ravine at Duplex circa 1950.

Current Toronto dwellers ought to be very proud of their snow clearance abilities. You should have seen it here 3-4 days after the snow stopped in December.

Having seen your weather forecast, I'm wondering if the view tomorrow will look even more like the scene in 1920?

Are we looking north or south? Is that Duplex Avenue or another ravine crossing east of Yonge? There wasn't a bridge or anything more substantial crossing the ravine at Duplex circa 1950.

That's Lympstone Ave, looking east from Yonge.

Current Toronto dwellers ought to be very proud of their snow clearance abilities. You should have seen it here 3-4 days after the snow stopped in December.

Having seen your weather forecast, I'm wondering if the view tomorrow will look even more like the scene in 1920?

s0372_ss0100_it0698.jpg

Mustapha can explain to all you youngsters what carbon & ribbon was.;)

Back