News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hi there. I had to review this whole thread. It's taken me 3 days, and I have finally reached it at 4am Thursday.

Welcome BeeRich. Very neat personalized Then and Now.

For your effort in pulling an "all - nighter", you are caught up now. :)

April 1 addition. No foolin' :)

Then. "Nov. 26, 1931. 1204 Queen Street West."

s0372_ss0058_it1292.jpg

Now. March 2011. And just to buck up thecharioteer's spirits, this few feet of Queen street sidewalk in front of the Gladstone Hotel isn't too too bad.

DSC_01502.jpg

April 1 addition. No foolin' :)

Then. "Nov. 26, 1931. 1204 Queen Street West."

s0372_ss0058_it1292.jpg

Now. March 2011. And just to buck up thecharioteer's spirits, this few feet of Queen street sidewalk in front of the Gladstone Hotel isn't too too bad.
Isn't it amazing how shocking an unattended baby carriage (with a baby inside of course) looks to modern eyes? When did it stop (the 70's?)

Isn't it amazing how shocking an unattended baby carriage (with a baby inside of course) looks to modern eyes? When did it stop (the 70's?)

Yes, that sounds about right - the 1970s. Part of this long gone custom was having strangers make coochie coo at infants while their mothers were inside the stores. To be honest, most mothers didn't actually disappear deep inside the store - mother was usually within line-of-sight control of the baby. My mother says some shops wern't large enough to push a pram inside - this may still apply but the baby will be removed from the per am bu la tor. :)

April 2 addition.

Then. "John street looking N to the Grange 1909."

f1244_it2162.jpg

Now. February 2011. The Church of St. George the Martyr tower is all that remains of the original 1844 church which was destroyed by fire in 1955. The former parish hall survived and is now worship space. It's easy to pass this small corner of Toronto and not notice it.

DSC_0129-1.jpg

Ah well done. There is a UCC plaque on the current building on the NW corner of King & Simcoe. That's all that really says anything about UCC being there. You can see it in Google Earth. Some other notes:

- 1905: That building reminds me of Queen's Park almost. Same shape (3 floors, quadrangle behind centre tower) as current.
- Prep field in front, where I used to also play cricket.
- Those trees lining the field were Dutch Elm, which had Dutch Elm disease and had to be destroyed one by one. They have taken a new initiative to re-line the trees up the Avenue.
- The Preparatory School (proper term for up to grade 8) is heated by a steam boiler that is located in a service room underneath the quadrangle in the Upper School. The steam is carried in a big pipe under the Prep Field, about 50 meters west of The Avenue, which melts snow in parts of winter.

And another story that's interesting. When UCC moved to Deer Park, the road that connected UCC to downtown was called The Avenue. The part you see in the 1905 pic to the right that leads up to the front door, is still called The Avenue. The front gates, made during the first version (as in the 1905 pic), are some of the last remaining items from the original school in Deer Park. My moron buddy drove his pickup truck and destroyed some of it. He was UCC's last commanding officer of the Queen's Own Rifles Battalion. He's daft. LOL.

Anyway, that's where the term "Avenue Road" came from. Another friend did some research for a school project on UCC, and found that the hill just South of UCC, south of St. Clair, had a winch that the portaging natives used to use while portaging up Yonge Street.

I disagree with the 1912 picture though. Seems too dense for The Avenue, given the very current nature of the 1905 picture. The trees in front of the Prep are less dense than I remember as well, so just East of there shouldn't be that dense. Maybe south of Lonsdale, but I suspect this is mis-labelled. It's actually labelled twice, the first part probably true: "Avenue Road from St. Clair Avenue West", not Lonsdale looking North.

I just realized that the TTC Route 33 bus doesn't service UCC anymore. Just the 5 on Avenue. Wow. My universe just shifted.

Ya, great pics.

That is interesting. Let me see if I can find this guy, as he would still remember. At the moment, I would challenge that post. The only thing North of the City at that point would be UCC. It was directly North of Queen's Park. The only thing it would be leading FROM, would be UCC.

Anyway, let me see what I can dig up.

Addendum: Come to think of it, given both stories, they can both completely exist. Given there is c. 40 years between the consolidation of the posted story and the movement of UCC to "UCC North", they could still exist as stated. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Given the UCC "split" in Avenue Road, I'm wondering if there was ever long-term anticipation of UCC moving away on behalf of "connecting the Avenues" (I'd be talking more early c20, or whenever the north-of-Eglinton stretch of Avenue came to be--at the same time the Hogg's Hollow bridge was conceived?)

April 3 addition.

Then. "Double high wheel bike 1934." Cute picture. An athletic Toronto lady riding an old tyme bicycle.

f1244_it2306.jpg

Now. April 2 2011. Bloor street west of Walmer Road. One of the chic ladies on this heavily bicycled stretch of Toronto street. I just noticed lately the many new bicycle shops that have opened along this stretch of Bloor street. Many along Queen west as well.

CSC_1295.jpg

Now.

A 40 year anticipation? UCC couldn't handle that now. Heh. From what I heard, the move was to grab some space as the first location was limited. I was also given the impression that they chose a location that was out in the middle of nowhere due to the land that was available. UCC has a strong boarding history, but I'm not sure if it ever was meant to be a 100% boarding school. I might know someone that I can ask.

Last edited:
April 4 addition.

Then. King and Yonge, NE corner. 1912, 1965-ish (guessing on this second date), and Now.. February 2011.

f1244_it0491.jpg

s0648_fl0222_id0004.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

Steve Munro commented on FB regarding the 60's King/Yonge shot.

Has to be 1966 or later. The car is signed "Dundas West Station", but it didn't open until Feb 66. Otherwise, it would say "Vincent", and the streetcar itself would probably have been a slightly older model (big shuffle when the BD subway opened).

Steve Munro commented on FB regarding the 60's King/Yonge shot.

Has to be 1966 or later. The car is signed "Dundas West Station", but it didn't open until Feb 66. Otherwise, it would say "Vincent", and the streetcar itself would probably have been a slightly older model (big shuffle when the BD subway opened).

Back