News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Another view of King & Yonge, from 1949, showing the rather surrealistic "dummy entrances" to the subway:

dummyentrances.jpg

And a night shot from 1950:

kingyonge1950.jpg

And back to 1892:

kingyonge1892.jpg

Last edited:
INCRIMINATING EVIDENCE REMOVED by he who shall remain anonymous.

(LOL)

Last edited:
"Gramps, and by that I mean all of our "Gramps", should have bought up all the land in Don Mills when they had the chance." QUOTE Mustapha.

Edward Plunket Taylor, CMG, & John Angus McDougald

beat everyone to it!

Regards,
J T
According to a relative's memories of her waitressing days, McDougald always ordered the same meal, and he wasn't a very good tipper.

Steve Munro commented on FB regarding the 60's King/Yonge shot.

Has to be 1966 or later. The car is signed "Dundas West Station", but it didn't open until Feb 66. Otherwise, it would say "Vincent", and the streetcar itself would probably have been a slightly older model (big shuffle when the BD subway opened).

And I'd add, 1967 or later--note the illuminated "Centennial" street signage...

According to a relative's memories of her waitressing days, McDougald always ordered the same meal, and he wasn't a very good tipper.

I have relations who think 10% - tops - for GOOD service is generous. I have to find a reason to delay my departure to top it up.

April 5 addition.

Then. "Mar. 24, 1933. Esplanade tracks E of Yonge street".

s0372_ss0079_it0674.jpg

Now. March 2011. In the Then photo, the photographer climbed up on the embankment. That railing is still there. I wasn't able to get to that exact spot - it's a construction site now. Prior to this there was a rather daunting fence - daunting to someone my age, anyways, and much shrubbery too.

My position for the Now picture is approximated by the front bumper of the car with the light coloured convertible top in the Then picture.

DSC_0019.jpg

"Nope, still looking at the NE corner, JT. Same as the 1912 picture as evidenced by the buildings to the left/north." QUOTE Mustapha.

YES! YES! YES!

Duh, I was ronge about Yonge.

I'll see if that post (incriminating evidence!)can be deleted.

Regards,
J T

"According to a relative's memories of her waitressing days, McDougald always ordered the same meal, and he wasn't a very good tipper." QUOTE GenerationW.

So, prey-tell, were did Bud "hang-out, & his regular meal was . . . ?

I can only envision him eating at The Toronto Club (private club - no tipping) or The King Edward Hotel during the week.

I cannot imagine him with more than $50.00 in his pocket at any one time.

Regards,
J T

re: Esplanade train picture

It's so very strange to have half of a picture that looks somewhat familiar, and the other half just completely foreign.

Just as a heads-up, the foot of Bayview is just starting to get some of the park installed there. If you are down that way, it might be good to take some pics while the place is still barren. When I reviewed this thread, I often wondered what it would be like to have a bicycle and run around Toronto in the 1930's for about a week. Also, I would wonder if I would stick out with the way I acted, behaved, and how I spoke. I think it would be fascinating to look around. I also wonder what we currently take for granted, as major swaths of Toronto have been levelled in order to put up things like the Eaton Centre, New City Hall, etc.

I think Toronto has a mandate to grow on a serious level. The GTA isn't that far behind London England, but I'm not sure if they are comparable entities. The GTA has 75% more area and currently a much lower density. This could prove interesting.

Back