News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

April 19 addition.

Then. Allen Avenue. June 11, 1902. Looking W. Broadview Avenue is in the distance.

AllenAvejun111902.jpg

Now. March 2011. Nothing has changed. Nada. Zip. Didn't happen. :) A fine street of well maintained 19th century homes. Every one seems to be accounted for. After I took this picture, I was off to the famous Chinese restaurant "Ka Ka Lucky" on Broadview for a bowl of noodles.

CSC_0021.jpg

Yes, the author referred to us here at UT and this thread but wasn't able to ID the exact location either. Would love to know and do a Then and Now.

Back in the 1950s there was a bridge over the creek down in the ravine behind John Ross Robertson School. Friends who lived on Ainsley used it to get to Lawrence Park. Just had a look on Google Earth. I would reckon the bridge was about 43deg 43' 13.37"N, 79deg 24' 29.55W, or close to where the two paths separate east of Glenview School.

In the picture you can see the turret of Glen Castle and the path going into their property blocked by gates. In the fifties one could walk along that path to Duplex. Very muddy in spring. The path up the hill (right of picture) had logs embedded into it making steps. I don't recall the bridge of the fifties being as strong as the one in 1910, but I didn't tend to look at things that carefully back then.

April 19 addition.

Then. Allen Avenue. June 11, 1902. Looking W. Broadview Avenue is in the distance.

AllenAvejun111902.jpg

Now. March 2011. Nothing has changed. Nada. Zip. Didn't happen. :) A fine street of well maintained 19th century homes. Every one seems to be accounted for. After I took this picture, I was off to the famous Chinese restaurant "Ka Ka Lucky" on Broadview for a bowl of noodles.

CSC_0021.jpg

You have my first house in that picture.. Allen is a great street, I found the neighbours interacted much more on that street than any other I have lived on, I attribute this to lack of front yards, forcing people to mingle on their stoops. There are a few changes but out of frame, the picket fence on the right side is for an old fire hall which was torn down and is now eastdale playground, the sleeping quarters is now a small house with the turret at the rear of the park (Craig Ave)

Back in the 1950s there was a bridge over the creek down in the ravine behind John Ross Robertson School. Friends who lived on Ainsley used it to get to Lawrence Park. Just had a look on Google Earth. I would reckon the bridge was about 43deg 43' 13.37"N, 79deg 24' 29.55W, or close to where the two paths separate east of Glenview School.

In the picture you can see the turret of Glen Castle and the path going into their property blocked by gates. In the fifties one could walk along that path to Duplex. Very muddy in spring. The path up the hill (right of picture) had logs embedded into it making steps. I don't recall the bridge of the fifties being as strong as the one in 1910, but I didn't tend to look at things that carefully back then.

Thanks NomoreaTorontonian. There was quite a bit of discussion back around pages 211-214 of this thread about Glen Castle. Where was Glen Castle in relation to today? Was it on Glenview Avenue? I downloaded Google Earth but didn't have any luck with those coordinates - it put me in an ocean somewhere. Anyways, I'll go see "where the two paths separate east of Glenview school". I haven't been down there since 1968-69 - when I attended Glenview.

Thanks NomoreaTorontonian. There was quite a bit of discussion back around pages 211-214 of this thread about Glen Castle. Where was Glen Castle in relation to today? Was it on Glenview Avenue? I downloaded Google Earth but didn't have any luck with those coordinates - it put me in an ocean somewhere. Anyways, I'll go see "where the two paths separate east of Glenview school". I haven't been down there since 1968-69 - when I attended Glenview.

You have my first house in that picture.. Allen is a great street, I found the neighbours interacted much more on that street than any other I have lived on, I attribute this to lack of front yards, forcing people to mingle on their stoops. There are a few changes but out of frame, the picket fence on the right side is for an old fire hall which was torn down and is now eastdale playground, the sleeping quarters is now a small house with the turret at the rear of the park (Craig Ave)

Thank you paraone for the neighbourhood history. It's not only a great street. The "main drag" - Broadview Avenue - is a unpolished gem collection of bakeries, restaurants and groceries. The two ladies at Rose Cafe make a mean and strong Vietnamnese coffee. I always feel less hectic here than on Spadina Avenue. But never after the Vietnamnese coffee. :)

I received a magazine - "Doors Open Ontario 2011, 10th Anniversary" - in my Globe and Mail a few days ago. On page 60 is says that the RC Harris Water Filtration Plant will be open on May 28 and 29, 10:00 - 4:30. I believe it has not been part of Doors Open in the past. I will so be there.

April 20 addition.

Then. Dorset street. Oct 26, 1904. This street was between John and Simcoe. It ran south from King. Here we are looking north towards King.

dorsetbetwjohnandsimcoesofkingoct261904swofduncanandkingintersectionthisviewistonbldgindistanceiscdnmillsupplyco.jpg

Now. March 2011. Dorset street is no longer. We are looking at part of Metro Hall.

DSC_0082-1.jpg

Heya everyone. I'll be taking a few days away from my PC. I'll be back next Monday early in the AM.

I received a magazine - "Doors Open Ontario 2011, 10th Anniversary" - in my Globe and Mail a few days ago. On page 60 is says that the RC Harris Water Filtration Plant will be open on May 28 and 29, 10:00 - 4:30. I believe it has not been part of Doors Open in the past. I will so be there.

It was--pre-9/11.

Thanks adma.

Is anyone here going? I have a thing for gilded marblized brass instrumented working industrial plant. I expect not to be disappointed. :)

I'm very tempted, depending on how that weekend plays out. I usually take a couple of shifts in the Canada Permanent building and then explore from there, but that sounds very appealing (for the person whose favourite part of the movie Titanic is getting to see the 30 ft tall reciprocating engines in action....)

It's on my must-see list. I'll even wait in line for it. That and Greenwood. Every year I think "I'd like to see the subway shops", and every year I end up somewhere else.

Thanks adma.

Is anyone here going? I have a thing for gilded marblized brass instrumented working industrial plant. I expect not to be disappointed. :)

I went the second year (or was it the first?) of Doors Open. You won't be disappointed.

I'd like to see RC Harris Filtration Plant return to Doors Open. It participated in the first Doors Open, but after that 9/11 happened and it was taken off the list.

2441767293_efc3dcb8d5_o.jpg

2441767351_9246360535_o.jpg

2442596780_36f6aa7a42_o.jpg

Last edited:
Save glen rd houses

mustapha thank you for your wonderful photos of toronto past and present, i happened upon photos of 6 glen road by accident and was captivated by the old houses in glen rd.

upon further research i was dismayed to find that they are slated for demolition,what a shame, in Launceston, tasmania, australia where i am from we have heritage orders on any houses buildings that are 80 to 100 years old and any renovations have to fall within a strict council guideline.

although old buildings which have or might have heritage orders slapped on them seem to burn down in the middle of the night thus allowing unscrupulous developers to erect unslightly units.

I do hope that these beautiful gems from a bygone era can be saved..i would appreciate anyone keeping me informed as to the fate of these old girls.

Regards sonny
Launceston Tasmania Australia

22/4/2011

Back