News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Okay, the Archives say between 1900 and 1930. Thanks a lot for the big gap there..... any guesses?

between 1900 and 1930 - 2010

5395042436_5445558a1a_b.jpg

Apparently S H Knox and Co were a chain of variety stores that was taken over by Woolworths in 1912 (see http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/2009/06/woolworths-largest-variety-store.html ) The photo may thus be BEFORE 1912.

Acording to MIGHT'S, both Knox & Heintzman were there during 1912 which means - 1911.

MIGHT'S mentions J F Browning & Co at 193/5 during 1910 - 1909.

Seeing that I do not have a 1911 MIGHT'S, - (for 1910) it appeares that the pic was taken during

(MIGHT'S is always one year behind.)

Regards,
J T

Thanks, y'all aer always on the ball!

I'm very tempted, depending on how that weekend plays out. I usually take a couple of shifts in the Canada Permanent building and then explore from there, but that sounds very appealing (for the person whose favourite part of the movie Titanic is getting to see the 30 ft tall reciprocating engines in action....)

It's on my must-see list. I'll even wait in line for it. That and Greenwood. Every year I think "I'd like to see the subway shops", and every year I end up somewhere else.

I went the second year (or was it the first?) of Doors Open. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Anna for finding those pictures. I hope it's overcast outside when I go visit. Those big windows and skylights seem to make it difficult to get a good exposure inside.

The Bay Street Crossing 1923 - 2010

5639954321_9d0959bd6a_b.jpg

Alden, what a great great contrast between the Then and Now. There aren't many cars in your Now picture. That section of Bay is usually pretty busy. Starting at 3:30pm it's stop and go southbound. I'm not anti-car by any means - I own one - but one of the things in my almost 3 years of running around the city to add to this thread is the perpetual rush hour in Toronto at some intersections. Bay and Front I can understand but Broadview and Danforth was an evacuation scene when I was there in the middle of a weekday on my lunch hour with a camera. When did that start to happen?

mustapha thank you for your wonderful photos of toronto past and present, i happened upon photos of 6 glen road by accident and was captivated by the old houses in glen rd.

upon further research i was dismayed to find that they are slated for demolition,what a shame, in Launceston, tasmania, australia where i am from we have heritage orders on any houses buildings that are 80 to 100 years old and any renovations have to fall within a strict council guideline.

although old buildings which have or might have heritage orders slapped on them seem to burn down in the middle of the night thus allowing unscrupulous developers to erect unslightly units.

I do hope that these beautiful gems from a bygone era can be saved..i would appreciate anyone keeping me informed as to the fate of these old girls.

Regards sonny
Launceston Tasmania Australia

22/4/2011

Thank you and welcome sonny. It's a strange captivation for me too to look at Then and Nows of distant cities, as you look at ours. Have you ever been to Toronto?

Last edited:
April 25 addition.

Then. For you streetcar buffs. Broadview and Danforth looking N. Guess the date, someone. :) ValsHere sent me this picture, thank you ValsHere.

BroadviewDanforth.jpg

Now.

DSC_0194-1.jpg

April 25 addition.

Then. For you streetcar buffs. Broadview and Danforth looking N. Guess the date, someone. :) ValsHere sent me this picture, thank you ValsHere.

Well, it would have to be prior to 1966 as -- I assume -- the Broadview subway station is being built in the background.

And interesting how the non-swinging emissaries of Paul Willison's swinging girl migrated beyond the Eg-Vic Pk zone...

I would say the same. c. 1966. I was born at East General, lived in Thorncliffe Ave which is just North of there by 2 blocks, and West 2 blocks.

Up until around 1975 that SW Broadview & Danforth lot was empty, before they put up that red brick old folks home. They used to have a small carnival on that lot, which was just magic for a young kid.

One block North on the West side, at Pretoria, used to be a Gulf gas station. The Paint store with the big parking lot up Broadview on the East side, used to be a Brewer's Retail. I shoved the car into neutral with me and my sister in the car...running, while me Mum ran in for some Red Cap. Stressful moment, but we only slid back maybe 20 feet.

Across from Broadview Station (just behind where the ass of the streetcar is in the picture) was recently a restaurant called Cafe Brussels. In those retail places, not sure which one, was a place called Harry's (edited, not George's). Greasy spoon where me and my buds used to head to shove quarters in the juke box to hear Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison.

That CIBC on the NE corner of Broadview & Danforth, is still a CIBC. One of the buddies in the last paragraph, his mum used to work there. We started a lemonade stand on the CIBC steps one summer day. I think I was 6 or 7.

That picture shows that the tracks went Westbound, which would mean streetcars went over the bridge. Neat. I wonder if South Sea Chinese Food is to the East of there. I drove by that intersection recently, didn't see it. It was probably there for 40 years, even having moved one or two places.

Last edited:
April 25 addition.

Then. For you streetcar buffs. Broadview and Danforth looking N. Guess the date, someone.

BroadviewDanforth.jpg

I'd guess the late 1950s - there's no indication of subway construction - the subway opened in 1966.
One of the autos appears to be a 1952/53/54? model.

April 26 addition.

Then. "April 3, 1933. 799 Broadview". This is looking S. Danforth is in the distance.

s0372_ss0058_it1338.jpg

Now.

DSC_0193-2.jpg

Thank you to UT'er extrordinaire Mustapha for posting these Streetcar photographs. Those mighty old streetcars sure were majestic. I have been advised that the earlier photograph of Broadview & Danforth was from around 1963.

Thank you so much to everyone for all your contributions on here & keeping us in touch with images that stir up such wonderful memories for many of us.

This really is a wonderful place to visit.

Up until around 1975 that SW Broadview & Danforth lot was empty, before they put up that red brick old folks home. They used to have a small carnival on that lot, which was just magic for a young kid.

There is a small carnival that sets up on the NE corner of Dufferin and Lawrence occasionally. Nothing takes me back like a Midway does. :)

I'd guess the late 1950s - there's no indication of subway construction - the subway opened in 1966.

It's been raised that there *is* an indication: notice present-day Broadview Station emerging btw/the truck and the bank.

And speaking of the bank, notice that it's Canadian *Imperial* Bank Of Commerce (the banks merged in 1961)

Thank you to UT'er extrordinaire Mustapha for posting these Streetcar photographs. Those mighty old streetcars sure were majestic. I have been advised that the earlier photograph of Broadview & Danforth was from around 1963.

Thank you so much to everyone for all your contributions on here & keeping us in touch with images that stir up such wonderful memories for many of us.

This really is a wonderful place to visit.

I'm just a visitor too. Thank you UT and UTers.

Last edited:

Back