News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Those original KFC restaurants had a period charm all their own - even our local "Red Barn" chain had nothing on it, in my opinion. The only problem was that there was nowhere to sit in those small original KFCs. I will agree that it still doesn't excuse the absolutely screeching tackiness of the modern restaurants.

Fixed that for you.

Those original KFC restaurants had a period charm all their own - even our local "Red Barn" chain had nothing on it, in my opinion. The only problem was that there was nowhere to sit in those small original KFCs. I will agree that it still doesn't excuse the absolutely screeching oddity of the modern restaurants.

From a copy of the media release on the 'Scarborough Then & Now' Facebook page
Combining three luxurious dining rooms (licenced) with a 'sudden-service' take-out store. The new villa offers plenty of parking -- delicious Kentucky Fried Chicken plus a full menu of family favourites ranging from prime beef steak through many enjoyable fish dishes.

I don't remember a restaurant at the first location near Victoria Park & Lawrence - only the take-out which is still there - but I do remember the plastic Colonel banks and the footed balloons. $5.25 for The Party Barrel, $3.95 for The Family Bucket, and Dinner for One, $1.35.

From a copy of the media release on the 'Scarborough Then & Now' Facebook page

I don't remember a restaurant at the first location near Victoria Park & Lawrence - only the take-out which is still there - but I do remember the plastic Colonel banks and the footed balloons. $5.25 for The Party Barrel, $3.95 for The Family Bucket, and Dinner for One, $1.35.

While we are reminiscing, the SE corner of Vic Park and Lawrence has a "Steak Queen". It's been - I'm guessing - about 25 years since it was a Dairy Queen. Anyone remember this?

Last edited:
May 7 addition.

Then. "Weston Rd., N of Porter. Dec. 28, 1927."

s0071_it5590.jpg

Now.

DSC_0031-2.jpg

While we are reminiscing, the SE corner of Vic Park and Lawrence has a "Steak Queen". It's been - I'm guessing - about 25 years since it was a Dairy Queen. Anyone remember this?
Had a Steak Queen. It went out of business some time last year.

Had a Steak Queen. It went out of business some time last year.

I don't know why but I find the name "Steak Queen" to be somewhat funny.

It is an awkward name that tries and doesn't succeed in convincing that there is link to the past, if that was even an intent. There was an "Embass Cleaners" years ago on Bloor street somewhere - a former Embassy Cleaners branch that continued on its own after the larger company ceased - they removed the "y" from the sign and carried on. Embassy was quite the chain with many branches and a central plant at the northwest corner of Yonge and Orchard View, just north of Eglinton.

It is an awkward name that tries and doesn't succeed in convincing that there is link to the past, if that was even an intent. There was an "Embass Cleaners" years ago on Bloor street somewhere - a former Embassy Cleaners branch that continued on its own after the larger company ceased - they removed the "y" from the sign and carried on. Embassy was quite the chain with many branches and a central plant at the northwest corner of Yonge and Orchard View, just north of Eglinton.

Actually, "Kembass"--they blocked out the "Y" and added a "K" at the beginning. And incredibly, it's still there (Bloor +..Rusholme?); one of the signs was replaced more or less in kind (with the "Kembass" shifted to the left--but w/o the blocked-out "Y"), and more recently *not* in kind, but still w/the "Kembass" name. (And I don't think it changed because Embassy went out of business--in fact, Embassy went on another decade or so before being acquired by Sketchley--but it was more of a "Cloney Time" situation)

Actually, "Kembass"--they blocked out the "Y" and added a "K" at the beginning. And incredibly, it's still there (Bloor +..Rusholme?); one of the signs was replaced more or less in kind (with the "Kembass" shifted to the left--but w/o the blocked-out "Y"), and more recently *not* in kind, but still w/the "Kembass" name. (And I don't think it changed because Embassy went out of business--in fact, Embassy went on another decade or so before being acquired by Sketchley--but it was more of a "Cloney Time" situation)

*snaps fingers* You're right adma... "Kembass".

May 9 addition.

Then. "Davenport Rd. Looking E of Osler. Nov. 28, 1923."

s0071_it2825.jpg

Now.

DSC_0039-2.jpg

"I want to find out if it was in Leslieville. Most of the hogs were processed by that one family apparently, and they did so down here in LV." QUOTE BeeRich.

WELL, I flipped the pic to see if the signage would become readable; no luck.

No such name in the 'phone book for '44. (Hardy Foods seems a rather "modern name", for a rather '10s - '40s enterprise.)

The only areas that would appear to support livestock processing would be with a rail facility, those being

The Toronto Junction, (Swift's et al) Tecumseth & Niagara, (presently Quality Meats) the lower Don river - west side, (Wm Davies) or

the area once used by Gooderham's on the east side of the lower Don.

The pic seems to reveal (IMHO) the Broadview Hotel in the distance, leaving this photo to be as the Wm Davies Co.

The only other area for a kill site would possibly be in the Leslie/Dundas area, bearing in mind that Hardy may not have had a kill floor,

just a processing plant "after the fact".

If you can search for another company name, I will try later to do the same and report back.

Regards,
J T

I saw that spire, but it was too small to pass any judgement, from my experience. That could very well be the Lever Bros plant location. Not sure what to really look for.

Leslieville had a lot of by-product industry down here, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a kill site here. Not sure who to ask.

Back