News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

One of my occasional indulgences here at Urban Toronto - completely off topic musings: herewith again my cat "Tiger". I show him as a reminder to all of the numerous cats at the Toronto Humane Society who await adoption and love.

DSCF3805.jpg
Thank you for this ~ we live with three, the latest from Toronto Cat Rescue, and as I understand, many Humane Societies are in crisis with adoptions down................

"Question: which do you prefer to live? back in the old days or now in this modern age? why?" QUOTE 4land.

(LOL!)

My only major thought on re the above is that I wish I had been born 10/15 years before I had been.

Why?

After having not only seeing but experiencing the times, I would have an even greater understanding of them.

Enough of our "Old Toronto", was still with us but "Olde Toronto", continued in evidence, if only in small degree.

In the above, I am not only referencing buildings/property, social customs, even methods of life would be of interest.

Possibly to be continued . .

Regards,
J T

It parallels it, just a few yards to the east of the Otter Creek gully.

I think there is only one Briar Hill Then and Now - I did a search but couldn't find it, I think I'm doing something wrong. It's a shot from Briar Hill looking west across Rosewell.

Hello and welcome hawc.

Last edited:
I was a delivery boy for Brisbois Pharmacy back in the early 90s. Never knew the Pharmacy went so far back. My grandparents also lived on Bedford Park Avenue.

fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0239_id0012.jpg

Brisbois was the "go-to" drugstore when I was a boy in the 60s living on Albertus. I can still remember the two gentlemen who ran it, quite distinquished looking and very kind.

Hi guys,

If you entered this thread just a quick opinion on this question.

Question: which do you prefer to live? back in the old days or now in this modern age? why?

...now in this modern age. Air conditioning. I'm serious, I'm afraid.

June 30 addition.

Then. NW corner Bernard Avenue and Admiral Road. c1909. Lots of fireplaces in this grande old dame. Picture provided by wwwebster.

63BernardAdmiralc1909.jpg

Now. May 2011. Just refreshed. There was recent evidence of contractors having been about. Reasonably sympathetic, I think, but I'm not sure of those new windows...

There is a wide staircase going into the basement - an apartment? Or office?

Quite a bit of car traffic in this area... its not like Rosedale - cut off from the "outside".

64bernardandadmiral.jpg

Thank you for this ~ we live with three, the latest from Toronto Cat Rescue, and as I understand, many Humane Societies are in crisis with adoptions down................

Thank YOU DRKSTR47. Having never owned a cat until middle age, I wonder why I hadn't looked into it earlier. I find the companionship rewards tremendous.

Brisbois was the "go-to" drugstore when I was a boy in the 60s living on Albertus. I can still remember the two gentlemen who ran it, quite distinquished looking and very kind.

I see The Little Pie Shoppe--a mouth watering name that I saw so many times when riding past on the Yonge Street Car. We lived four car stops north of Lawrence, so it was never a store whose goods we could sample. Anyone know if their pies and cakes were as good as their name?

Our old cat, Smoky, and her well remembered predecessors: Sooty, Sparky, Spicy and Bunny (a north Toronto cat) have been part of making our house a home over many years despite the excess amount of time defurring the furniture.

I see The Little Pie Shoppe--a mouth watering name that I saw so many times when riding past on the Yonge Street Car. We lived four car stops north of Lawrence, so it was never a store whose goods we could sample. Anyone know if their pies and cakes were as good as their name?

Our old cat, Smoky, and her well remembered predecessors: Sooty, Sparky, Spicy and Bunny (a north Toronto cat) have been part of making our house a home over many years despite the excess amount of time defurring the furniture.

The pies and cakes were indeed good. The Napoleon slices exceptional. The shop moved to Lawrence and Yonge in the condo/store strip created by the demolition of the Chrysler dealership in the early 80s under new ownership. The recipes were the same but it was always quiet in there and it folded after about two years. There was a Chinese bakery here for a short time too. Yonge and Lawrence denizens aren't pastry eaters it seems.

Has anyone noticed Tim Hortons baked goods taste like McCain frozen products? I'm going to Coffee Time lately for my donut cravings.

I was a delivery boy for Brisbois Pharmacy back in the early 90s. Never knew the Pharmacy went so far back. My grandparents also lived on Bedford Park Avenue.

Ha! I lived on Beford Park from '71 to '73. The little bungalow my parents rented is now a monster home.

All that effort on an otherwise decent job, and then they went cheap on the windows.

Ugh. I was so happy to see a not-beige Tudor, and then I took a look at what the old windows looked like. It's amazing how much character windows can add...or subtract.

What's going on with that stairway or ramp on the left? Did they add underground parking, or a basement appartment?

Hi guys,

If you entered this thread just a quick opinion on this question.

Question: which do you prefer to live? back in the old days or now in this modern age? why?

Now. The old days are a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

(There are lots of buildings I wish we still had from the old days, but that's a different question.)

Back