News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Ugh. I was so happy to see a not-beige Tudor, and then I took a look at what the old windows looked like. It's amazing how much character windows can add...or subtract.

Indeed. A lot of heritage buildings look better with sash windows. The windows installed in that house's renovation cheapen the look of the house.

Why do people wanna know the past when you have a great future to look up into?

Experiences of the past provide meaning in the present and in terms of the future people want to have. Achievements of the past, revolved problems of the past, and evidence of it in general can inspire and motivate people to think a certain way about many aspects of present. It can be a source of pride and identity. Also, the future isn't guaranteed to be great. Knowing the past gives some guidance in terms of facing problems that may arise.

Hi guys,

If you entered this thread just a quick opinion on this question.

Question: which do you prefer to live? back in the old days or now in this modern age? why?

I don't have firsthand experience of Toronto from the time of these old photos, but my parents grew up in Toronto in the 1950s and they tell me that on the weekends in those days, they used to go to Buffalo. Because it was more exciting there! On that fact alone, I will take the present day.

Front and Bathurst looking East, 1960

Toronto was so cluttered back in the days.

Here's a pair that didn't make it into my essay about the corner of Front and Bathurst. It's doubtless been done before in this thread... but Toronto changes relentlessly so here's a current take -- which will be obsolete in a few years due to ongoing development.

This is what fifty years does for a city...

Front and Bathurst, looking E, 1960.
s0372_ss0100_it0310-1.jpg

Same corner, June 2011
frontandbathurstlookinge2011.jpg

Some observations:
  • The Royal York used to be the tallest structure in the view...
  • The building at the corner is essentially the same, though due to be demolished shortly
  • Are the northside streetlight fixtures the same?
  • Are the two manholes in the same positions?
  • A lot of the southern development is, obviously, quite recent... Would be interesting to see the same shot from 10 years ago and see whether it was much different from the 1960 photo.

Last edited:
Thanks junctionist for answering me question, i will definitely put that in mind, my question that puzzled in my mind is now answered thanks to you junctionist. To think of it you are really right because in the past, people make mistakes and have many problems so now we correct them and and the future might have a greater solution to a mistake or a problem. Thanks again. :)

Why do people wanna know the past when you have a great future to look up into?

I'm fond of L.P. Hartley's famous statement, "The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there."

I also firmly believe that if all we do is look forward to the future, we'll never get there.

I'm just a history geek, though.

Ugh. I was so happy to see a not-beige Tudor, and then I took a look at what the old windows looked like. It's amazing how much character windows can add...or subtract.

What's going on with that stairway or ramp on the left? Did they add underground parking, or a basement appartment?

It's a basement office I think. It looks a bit strange like that. I suppose it's an income property for someone.

Here's a pair that didn't make it into my essay about the corner of Front and Bathurst. It's doubtless been done before in this thread... but Toronto changes relentlessly so here's a current take -- which will be obsolete in a few years due to ongoing development.

This is what fifty years does for a city...

Front and Bathurst, looking E, 1960.
s0372_ss0100_it0310-1.jpg

Same corner, June 2011
frontandbathurstlookinge2011.jpg

Some observations:
  • The Royal York used to be the tallest structure in the view...
  • The building at the corner is essentially the same, though due to be demolished shortly
  • Are the northside streetlight fixtures the same?
  • Are the two manholes in the same positions?
  • A lot of the southern development is, obviously, quite recent... Would be interesting to see the same shot from 10 years ago and see whether it was much different from the 1960 photo.

I will miss this corner when it is developed. It really is a 'touch stone' visually for this end - the very end - of Front street.

They were. And when I used to go in there with my mum they'd always give me a free sugar cookie.

The local kids called them booger snookies. They were quite good. Free samples. Not even at the CNE anymore. :(

July 4 addition. Bit late, sorry.

Then: Another wwwebster picture. Crescent Road and Cluny, southeast corner, circa 1909. Another home in the leafy surburb of Rosedale. This one is quite close to the Rosedale subway station, giving the lucky owner the best all worlds.

65CrescentRdClunyAvec1909.jpg

Now: May 2011.

66crescentrdandcluny.jpg

Last edited:
July 5 addition.

Then. c1915. Roxborough and Chestnut Park Road. More wwwebster pictures, a pair this time. NE corner. Grand then, not at all shabby now. Old Money Style.

67RoxboroughChestnutPkRdNEc1915.jpg

Now. May 2011. Just out of sight of the Now picture, a team of gardeners was busy doing plantings, pulling weeds and maintaining the beds. I do my own, I'm just fussy that way. :)

68roxbandchestprk.jpg

69RoxboroughChestnutParkNEc1915.jpg

70roxches.jpg

Last edited:

Back