News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Both facades remained in place; you see them shored up here to prevent their falling over - they were incorporated into the new development.

Which all connects to Scotia Plaza. The other facade was of the old Cameron Jeffries store:

cameronjeffries.jpg

Which along with Fairweathers:

fairweathers.jpg

Can both be seen here in this 1950 pic:

fairweather1950.jpg

And in 1923 from above:

yongekingnorth.jpg

Last edited:
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]View attachment 76[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]92[/ATTACH]

Heya brewster, hello, welcome and thanks so much. Those 70s and 80s comparisons are so relevant to what many (most?) of here can actually remember. :)

Thanks Goldie , how do I upload them full size like most pictures I see in this thread?

I know exactly how you feel about getting your images onto the site.
I began only recently and many members came to my rescue with fine advice.
I'm sure others will have advice for you but in the meantime, here's the advice I was given and it works well.
Go to a site (I use photobucket.com) where you can store your photos - it's usually free - and upload your images.
When you visit the site you will find that your images are filed with an "IMG code" that can be copied and easily inserted into your reply note on UrbanToronto.
The images will then be sent to UT when your reply is displayed.

Hope this works for you.

Hi brewster,

I use Photobucket too and Goldie's advice is spot on. I don't know the ins and outs of other hosting services but contact them for help.

That said, the single pictures you are posting open up into a full size with only one click. Speaking for myself only, that is a minor thing to have to do to view your pictures and well worth the effort. Furthermore, I was able to 'right-click' and save the full size picture - I know some people here are doing this to create their own archive.

posted by FAC33:
IMG00040-20110801-1150.jpg

My first thought when I saw the long vaulted structure in this pic, was that it might be part of the original Garrison Creek sewer. But I think that most of it is still in use today, and someone would have known that.

Just to follow up on this [the thread was around here], the Globe posted another article today about the site -- the archeological dig is giving way to the development...

Read article here.

Last edited:
August 18 Then and Now.

Then. 214 King St. W. c1919. Picture sourced by wwwebster. 'Canadian General Electric Co. Automobile Accessories. Electrical Supplies.'

King street, east and west, in the downtown core had a 'jobber'/ industrial supplier/commercial aspect to it until the late 1980s. This existed side by side with the various Mirvish enterprises [I won't mention the roast beef at Ed's Warehouse] of the live entertainment and culinary sort. I'm reminded of a business that existed at 214 King E., Safety Supply Company, where I purchased several fire extinquishers in the early 80s. These were made by the General Fire Extinguisher Corp. - now out of business - in the USA. These units still guard my home and my daughter's homes - they still pass a pressure test and refill. All the valve parts are machined forgings - these were the Rolex of fire extinquishers. To pick one up is to realize the heft and construction of goods before the days when manufacturers 'raced to the bottom' seeking lower wages and tax rates offshore. The instructions on the Mexican made fire extinquishers sold at Canadian Tire direct you to 'discard' when the pressure gauge falls below minimum - this will happen in one year. My Generals stay charged for six, when they go for a refill.

Anyways, I'm just telling a parable why they don't sell some types of things on King street anymore.

Pub bore mode over. :)

144214KingStWestc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011. Notice anything about the building? :)

145.jpg

Swiss Chalet. Their chicken wings are somewhat unappreciated by the public. I think they are very good.

Back