8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

CNE.jpg

Love the ex and I am not talking about my ex wife. 1953-2010

August 16 Then and Now.

Then. 260 Richmond West. c1916. Tip-Top Tailors Building. Picture sourced by wwwebster. And you thought the one on Lakeshore was the first one. I know I did.

138260RichmondWestc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011. Note the addition on the right [east]. The painted sign on the left [west] side has survived nicely. Its likely that the traffic going in one direction - westerly - on this one way street - means that modern commercial signage on this west facing wall can't be seen, hence its preservation. But whatdoIknow. :)

139.jpg

One subtle difference w/the additions is the colouration--the older parts were faced with terra cotta, the newer were of cast stone or concrete...

August 19 Then and Now.

Then. A 'drive-thru' gas station. Broadview and Danforth NW corner. c1919. Picture sourced for us by wwwebster.

148BroadviewDanforthNWc1919.jpg

Now. June 2011.

149.jpg

I love those "Then & Now"s, brewster.
Although, many would like to know the locations (addresses).
Oops, I see now that the address is contained in your PhotoBucket identification - 1112 Queen St. East
Was/is Balantyre pronounced ....tire, ....tree, or ....tray (then & now)?

Blan-tire, and only one A. Like the things on the bottom of your car, and not very exciting ones. Or at least the street my grandparents lived on was pronounced that way, though it's considerably further east on Queen. Not sure if it was named for the place in Scotland or the place in (then) South Africa).

Blan-tire, and only one A. Like the things on the bottom of your car, and not very exciting ones. Or at least the street my grandparents lived on was pronounced that way, though it's considerably further east on Queen. Not sure if it was named for the place in Scotland or the place in (then) South Africa).

Thanks for catching my typo and yes, Blan-tire sounds right.

Regarding the last pic with the rino's:

The "barker" just doesn't understand; RINO! RINO! RINO! just doesn't cut the mustard.

Regards,
J T

August 19 Then and Now.

Then. A 'drive-thru' gas station. Broadview and Danforth NW corner. c1919. Picture sourced for us by wwwebster.

Wow. That lot was empty for so long. Well, as I remembered it from a 7-year-old's perspective.

August 19 Then and Now.

I feel I must question the location of that gas station.
What evidence is there that it was on the NW corner?
The reproduction refers only to "Broadview and Danforth Ave."
I wonder if there is another photo of that corner in c.1919.

I feel I must question the location of that gas station.
What evidence is there that it was on the NW corner?
The reproduction refers only to "Broadview and Danforth Ave."
I wonder if there is another photo of that corner in c.1919.

wwwebster will chime in soon on this, I hope, and save my credibility :) such as it is. He did the research on the photo...

Note that 'Broadview Avenue' is on the right side of the drawing, and that there are streetcar tracks [Danforth?, possibly?] in front of our subject gas station.

Last edited:

Back