News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Dominion is an awesome building but unfortunately it's located in such a sketchy area. Though, that should improve somewhat when that awful social housing at Vic Park, north of Cassandra Blvd. gets redeveloped.

That is the plan , to tear down all the townhouses from Lynnvalley to Cassandra. The owner hasen't put a pennie into the complex for 10 years knowing full well how much the land would be worth a few years down the road. Sad part is when they tore down half of Regent Park they loaded up these townhouses with the poor souls from Regent. I wish these people a better life and I believe there is hope for anybody.

That is the plan , to tear down all the townhouses from Lynnvalley to Cassandra. The owner hasen't put a pennie into the complex for 10 years knowing full well how much the land would be worth a few years down the road. Sad part is when they tore down half of Regent Park they loaded up these townhouses with the poor souls from Regent. I wish these people a better life and I believe there is hope for anybody.

Do you know what is happening at the plaza across from these townhouses, where the coin laundry, convenience store and McDonald's used to be? Something is being built there but I have no information. I wonder what will happen with the parking lot across the street from it? They tore down the plaza that used to stand there, probably ten years ago and nothing has happened on that site since. I'm surprised at how long it's remained unoccupied.

Do you know what is happening at the plaza across from these townhouses, where the coin laundry, convenience store and McDonald's used to be? Something is being built there but I have no information. I wonder what will happen with the parking lot across the street from it? They tore down the plaza that used to stand there, probably ten years ago and nothing has happened on that site since. I'm surprised at how long it's remained unoccupied.

Rexall where the Mickydee's was and not sure yet across the road.

Re The Claridge

One evening last autumn my Mom and I went for a stroll in that neighobourhood to see how Popular Plains had changed. Having gone to Brown School as a child I have always had a real fondness for that area.

As we peered through the The Claridges lobby windows, the Super came wandering by and invited us in for a tour, both of the Claridge and the Clarissa which is across the street and is also a must see (on the first floor is a gorgeous wood pannelled private Dining Room where tenants once dined, now used as a party room.

The Super is a fount of knowledge about the two buildings and the history of the surrounding area, he said most of the houses on Popular Plains at one point were inhabited by different members of the Eaton family and and that the Otis family (otis elevators) lived in the Clarissa for many years and I believe, if I remember correctly, one of the early Otis elevators which was installed in the building, is still in use. What is also spectacular is the wrought iron fence which somehow didn't get seized during WWl to be melted down for the war effort. It's really a gorgeous peice of work.

Sadly Popular Plains has changed considerably in the last 20 years, hardly recognizable, some really beautiful old homes razed to the ground and replaced by stucco and sandstone:(

Last edited:
There was another Fran's on Yonge around Gould. I will never forget the location because in 1980 a cockroach walked across my friend's baked potato.

Was The Audrey at the corner of either Oriole or Deer Park Crescent in what was a wonderful mid -century office building? And Fran's pies were great as was Mrs Deck's Green Goddess Salad dressing.

"he gave out triangular coupons for a free slice of pie at Frans restaurant." QUOTE bessmarvin.

The gratis apple pie was a treat for regular customers such as myself as well. It was self promotion par exellence'.

The coupon though, never included a coffee; after all, he had to recoup some money! He & his son (Fran jr) were

always personable, and with the grand children working the properties during the summer holiday, a "family restaurant".

Then there was Audrey at 21 St Clair; a total character and was "good people" as were 99% of the staff.

Regards,
J T

I grew up there. Frans was a part of my post-boozing food before I walked home, East of St. Clair. To see it completely gone now, still is a bit disturbing. That whole area has had several generations turn over. United Cigar Store is the only thing left. McDonald's came and left from Heath.

Old Knox College should be lit up at night. It's amazing that the city's forefathers created these vistas as our own gestures of grandeur, yet those who maintain them became indifferent to their beauty. Each major terminating vista should be prominently lit up at night, with any trees trimmed or selectively removed to preserve the vistas. Osgoode Hall is York Street's terminating vista but trees have completely obscured it, while the same thing is slowly happening to Queen's Park.

So true and those massive green lamp posts with that white cutesy flourish on top don't add anything to that building or anything to Spadina for that matter.

BACK OF THE GUILD INN

ViewfromthebackoftheGuildInn.jpg

Now: Mill Street East of Cherry

Caught some neat pics in the fog this morning. Thought I'd post as it's mid-way between old and new.

IMG_1122.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 423
2200 Kingston Road
2.jpg

Kingston Road and Beechgrove
3.jpg

K.R. and Bingam Loop
BinghamandKRlookingwest.jpg

Bingam Loop
BinghamlooplookingwestfromVP.jpg

Birchcliff and K.R.
BIRCHCLIFF.jpg

Birchcliff
Birchcliff1.jpg

Birchmount and K.R.
birchmount1.jpg

Birchmount
BIRCHMOUNT2.jpg

Blantyre
Blantryelookingwest.jpg

Blantrye
Blantyrelookingeast.jpg

Bo Peep
BOPEEP1.jpg

Bryers Snack
Bryers.jpg

Cliffside
clifffside1.jpg

Cliffside
CLIFFSIDE.jpg

Cliffside
cliffside2.jpg

K.R.
Clipboard5-1.jpg

K.R. west of Birchmount
Clipboard8-1.jpg

Clipboard1.jpg

Cornell house K.R. east of Markham Road
CORNELL.jpg

Warden and K.R.
ct.jpg

Dorset and K.R.
DORSETFIREHALL.jpg

Fallingbrook
Fall1.jpg

FALLINGBROOKDONE.jpg

Bingham
Fixed1.jpg

fixed2.jpg

fixed3.jpg

Harding
Harding1.jpg

HardingandKR.jpg

Hunt Club
HuntClub1.jpg

V.P. and K.R.
KRandVP.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Folks

I am totally, totally impressed with this site. Quick question. Searching for an address of 6 Ontario Place in 1912. Thought it may be a laneway off of Ontario St. Can't seem to locate it on Goads 1903 or 1913, but I don't know all the ins and outs of searching. Any pointers would be more than greatly appreciated. Thanks ever so much.
Gebbois

Back