News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wasn't old Government House demolished around that time? In which case, I was wondering whether that surrounding fence was, in fact, demolition hoarding (and there appears to be some kind of cut-back tree in the backyard, visible beneath the tower)

May 16 addition.

Glenholme and St Clair looking NNW.

glenholmeandstclair.jpg

DSCF1693.jpg

Nicely done with the night shots. I really find the older night shots at the archive quite compelling. Somehow, perhaps the nature of the light, they show a totally different night atmosphere in the past.

Good to see you up in my neighbourhood. This summer I intend to do an "Earlscourt then and now" thread.

Nicely done with the night shots. I really find the older night shots at the archive quite compelling. Somehow, perhaps the nature of the light, they show a totally different night atmosphere in the past.

Good to see you up in my neighbourhood. This summer I intend to do an "Earlscourt then and now" thread.

Thank you, and I eagerly await this summer.:)

May 17 addition.

Bay and Melinda NE corner. You can't stand on this corner anymore. They plunked Commerce Court down on it.

fo0124_f0124_fl0015_id0003.jpg

DSCF0679.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody remember when the Lord Simcoe was demolished? Looking at this shot, I'd say... 1978/79? Kinda sad that this place only had a 20-year lifespan.

1980. (I remember it being demolished when Reg Hartt had one of his animation things happening, leading me to nickname it the "Tregoweth Brown Building")

Before they demolished the Lord Simcoe they sold off the furniture and fittings to the public; I dropped by one day, but nothing caught my fancy.

In the old photo, is that an illuminated "Jarvis" street sign? It's like those Centennial signs way ahead of schedule...

Nice matchup Mustapha
jdblend72.jpg

Andrew, It would be a dream to have 1916 levels vehicular traffic on our roads, especially on Jarvis.:) Even for a few days. Still, the cautious young lady here is looking left just before she jay walks.. note the blur of a moving car on the left edge of the photo. I suppose that everyone 'jaywalked' before the advent of traffic lights.

May 21 addition.

The old morgue; on which street?

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0094.jpg

DSCF0700.jpg

Back