News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

And thanks too, adma; sorry I misunderstood your advice about this location.

Was that through one of those Toronto In Colour threads?

Oh, and and somehow my hunch is that the building at Bay & King was a "modern(e)ization" rather than a demolition/replacement: the scale is identical.

Was that through one of those Toronto In Colour threads?

Oh, and and somehow my hunch is that the building at Bay & King was a "modern(e)ization" rather than a demolition/replacement: the scale is identical.

No, not the Toronto in Colour thread. On 04-16-2009 9:02pm you posted in reply to my photo:

#7 is the old Imperial Bank building where Commerce Court West is now; ...

This would have been enough for any 1/2 wit of Toronto history to go off and shoot the now pic using Cawthra house as a reference, but I simply didn't see it.

Your hunch about the SE corner building being a modernization makes sense.

Your hunch about the SE corner building being a modernization makes sense.

Things like that weren't uncommon. While not as drastic, the Canadian Pacific Building at King + Yonge was totally reskinned around 1928 or so...

Mustapha: Backtracking, briefly, to your May 8th photos - fragments of the decorative stonework on the Bay Theatre at Queen and Bay was purchased from the wrecker who demolished the 1876 Customs House ( designed by R.C. Windeyer ) which stood on the south west corner of Yonge and Front and was taken down in 1919. The upper section of the theatre, for instance, matches the lower section of the custom house. An early version of facadism ... or a stillborn Facade District even?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Customs_House,_Front_and_Yonge_streets.jpg

While I love Commerce Court West its a shame that they had to take down what was there before.

Well, it's a tall building and they really needed the windswept forecourt.:) It's not like London UK where they stick a skyscraper in between the plague pit and the pre-Great Fire Tudor overhang. Insert another smiley:)

Mustapha: Backtracking, briefly, to your May 8th photos - fragments of the decorative stonework on the Bay Theatre at Queen and Bay was purchased from the wrecker who demolished the 1876 Customs House ( designed by R.C. Windeyer ) which stood on the south west corner of Yonge and Front and was taken down in 1919. The upper section of the theatre, for instance, matches the lower section of the custom house. An early version of facadism ... or a stillborn Facade District even?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Customs_House,_Front_and_Yonge_streets.jpg

At least these remnants lived on if even only for a time. Speaking of time, someone with spare time should make a photographic record of the remnants at the Guild and match them up with old photos from the archives.

May 27 addition. Nothing of note lost here. Just a way of life.

ser71_s0071_it4617.jpg

DSCF0632.jpg

Adma, you are right that the southeast corner of Bay and King was a recladding. In 1935 the Imperial Bank added onto their existing building, to the east along King. They stripped down the existing building at Bay and King to the frame and reclad the whole thing to a design by Sproatt and Rolph. The largely windowless band of stone around the top concealed the fact that the newer, western portion of the building was six storeys high and the older portion was only five storeys high.

Adma, you are right that the southeast corner of Bay and King was a recladding. In 1935 the Imperial Bank added onto their existing building, to the east along King. They stripped down the existing building at Bay and King to the frame and reclad the whole thing to a design by Sproatt and Rolph. The largely windowless band of stone around the top concealed the fact that the newer, western portion of the building was six storeys high and the older portion was only five storeys high.

Thanks and welcome Urban09. Nice to have someone 'fill in the blanks'.

Back